• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. hilltopfarm

Hard start issue??

I have a 03' Ranger 4.0L & ever since putting a new engine/trans/t-case in it it has had a hard time starting. This only happens AFTER the first start of the day, it will crank over for 5-7 seconds and then start. I had it in the shop and the tech there put a fuel pressure gauge on it overnight...
  2. hilltopfarm

Hard start...only when warm??

Hi folks, I got my project back together and running, only problem is that it has a hard time starting only after the first start (i.e. when warm). This makes me believe it is not the battery, but maybe the fuel system? By hard start I mean crank over 6-7 times before it fires up. When I put...
  3. hilltopfarm

Something not right...

I finally started my new engine up yesterday with no issue's other than the one I am about to describe! So I started it and the usual knocking occurred for about 2 min while everything seated, then went away. I noticed that the coolant temp started to go up very quickly (w/in about 30 sec of...
  4. hilltopfarm

HELP!! Oil filter adaptor leak

I'm installing a new engine in my 4.0L SOHC. Got the engine in and all ready to go, filled up with oil. Was working to get my transmission in when I noticed a oil leak from the oil filter adaptor :bawling:, where it mates with the engine block. I installed a new o-ring, cleaned the surfaces with...
  5. hilltopfarm

Pressure plate adjustment??

So i'm ready to install my tranny on my 03' 4.0L SOHC. Looking at the shop manual it says that the clutch pressure plate needs to be adjusted before install. It says this is accomplished my putting the plate in a press and depressing the fingers, then sliding the springs all the way to the left...
  6. hilltopfarm

Pressure plate adjustment??

So i'm ready to install my tranny on my 03' 4.0L SOHC. Looking at the shop manual it says that the clutch pressure plate needs to be adjusted before install. It says this is accomplished my putting the plate in a press and depressing the fingers, then sliding the springs all the way to the left...
  7. hilltopfarm

4.0L SOHC Valve Adjustment??

I looked in the manual and it said nothing about valve adjustment. Guessing that it is all done vial hydraulic lash adjusters??
  8. hilltopfarm

THIS is what my engine looks like after rattle...

THIS is what my engine looks like after timing rattle... So I took some pictures of my 4.0L SOHC after I swapped everything to my new engine. Thought that you may be interested to see what happens when that rattle begins. Also any thoughts on preventing this in the future on my new engine...
  9. hilltopfarm

What is this connector for???

So I'm almost ready to drop my new engine into my truck and noticed a little hose fitting that I had not seen before :icon_confused:...wondering if anyone could help me identify it. Thanks.
  10. hilltopfarm

Very Frustrated, Please HELP!!!

So i'm trying to get my oil pan gasket put on. This is the upper oil pan, cast aluminum. My truck is a 03' 4.0L SOHC. I ran into these two little tabs that stick down on the rear output shaft side of the gasket. Wondering what to do with these tabs. I'm getting very frustrated, because I wanted...
  11. hilltopfarm

Oil Pan Gasket HELP! 4.0L SOHC

Very frustrated! Please help!! So i'm trying to get my oil pan gasket put on. This is the upper oil pan, cast aluminum. My truck is a 03' 4.0L SOHC. I ran into these two little tabs that stick down on the rear output shaft side of the gasket. Wondering what to do with these tabs. I'm getting...
  12. hilltopfarm

4.0L SOHC 4X4 WITHOUT Balance Shaft???

As many of you may know I'm replacing my worn engine with a re-man. Upon removal of the cast oil pan the most notable thing was the absence of a balance shaft that I have read is incorporated into 4x4 models. The re-man engine that I got has the shaft on it. Side view of balance shaft: Top...
  13. hilltopfarm

Oil Pump Drive assembly?

Hi all, I got my re-manufactured engine today and finished taking the odds and ends off of the old one. I have a question about the gear mechanism that drives the oil pump: Should it be replaced while I have everything apart? It feels alright, has some slop (moves up and down, side to side a...
  14. hilltopfarm

Dana 35 "click" noise

Hello, I have a question about my 03' ranger 4.0l FX4. I'm pretty sure that the front diff is a Dana 35. So I've noticed when I first got the truck that I can go underneath and hand turn the front driveshaft and I notice it will turn, then feel like gritty sand or something in gears, then...
  15. hilltopfarm

What are the chances of...?

Ok, so I am doing a overhaul of my 2003 Ranger 4.0L. The reason that I am doing this is because of the notorious timing chain rattle. Upon pulling the engine and taking off the valve cover, found that the plastic chain guide is completely gone in the back of the engine (the bolt that is supposed...
  16. hilltopfarm

4.0L SOHC Knock Sensor Replacement?

So, I am putting a reman engine in my 03' 4.OL SOHC. Looking at the shop manual, it says that once the Knock Sensor (The one that is in the "V" of the engine that can be seen once the intake manifold is removed) must be replaced with a new one once it is removed. Can anyone verify this...
  17. hilltopfarm

Cleaning a plastic intake manifold???

So I am basically rebuilding/replacing most things on my truck. Putting in a remanufactured 4.0L engine from Promar, got my M50D tranny rebuilt, I'm rebuilding my T-case. Anyway, I took off the plastic intake manifold and found that it had lots of oil in the bottom, and tons of carbon and sticky...
  18. hilltopfarm

4.0L SOHC Hoist Points?

Ok, so I saw that someone else posed the question for a 4.0L OHV engine. Would the 4.0L SOHC be any different?? I am going to probably hoist the engine out of my 03' 4.0 ranger this weekend and just need to know the best place to attach the chains or straps to it. Thanks
  19. hilltopfarm

Help!!!! T-case pump problems

OK, So I am working on my T-case (BW 1354). It made a clunking noise when turning it by hand, also has some bearing that went out. Tore it apart to find that the pump tab that is supposed to keep the pump from turning wore down, and wore a groove in the side of the T-case. SO, thinking that I'm...
  20. hilltopfarm

Separating RTV Sealed parts?

I'm trying to separate my tranny from my Transfer case. I took out all the bolts, but there is a thin layer of black RTV between the parts. No matter how hard I pry, I cannot separate the two. Any suggestions? Thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad