• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Cutting 2WD Coil Springs...

I am estimating that I cut 7/8 of a turn off the top of the springs. It was more than 3/4 and less than a full turn. I did it in two steps. The first step I cut about 3/4 of a coil, wanted a small amount more, so I cut just a small segment more off each coil. I cut off the tops of the springs.
  2. Good stock replacement shocks?

My 2009 2wd standard cab is ready for new shocks. I would like to have a controlled, but not brutal ride. The truck is used for regular street driving. No off-roading (though the condition of Michigan roads often feels like off-road driving...). Any suggestions (good or bad experiences)?
  3. swaybar sizes, front and rear.

Even letting it "air cool" most likely has still taken the temper out and you risk having the bar bend instead of just flex.
  4. Help lowering 99 Ranger

I cut 7/8 of a turn off the coils on my 2009 and got about 2" of drop. I think the ride actually improved! Before, the difference in spring rate between the front and back was so great that it gave the truck a very unbalanced feeling (yes, I know I am driving a pickup and that comes with the...
  5. 4-cylinder MPG question

I got an average of 25.6mpg, measured over 10,000+ miles in my 2009 2.3L standard cab with a 5-speed and a cap, mostly highway miles at ~70mph average. I recently lowered it about 1.5" and set the toe at 0. Surprisingly, the toe measured 1/8" toe out (that is not a typo) before lowering...
  6. Lowering=Improved aerodynamics?

Keep in mind about the alignment I mentioned. Going from 1/8" toe out to zero toe is going to make a difference in mileage. Since I don't have any way to know without adjusting the toe angle for a few tanks of gas (and I am not going to do that!), I am simply going to give about half of the...
  7. Lowering=Improved aerodynamics?

Hey Froggmann, I do have one more fill-up since my last post. So far my mileage has varied quite a bit with the first three tanks. 28.6mpg, 29.5, and the latest was 27.2. The last did involve carrying a bit of a load for ~60 miles and I had a few trips where the speedo was wound up a little...
  8. Lowering=Improved aerodynamics?

So far I have had two tanks of gas with measurable mileage (no towing, hauling, or other non-routine driving), and the mileage increase is almost hard to believe! Right before lowering, my mileage for the last ~2000 miles was 25.5. And last year I recorded my mileage for ~9000 miles and it was...
  9. Cutting 2WD Coil Springs...

Cutting for a 3" drop is a lot! I cut about 7/8 of a coil off mine and got about 1 3/4" drop. I find the spring rate just about right. Originally the front springs were too soft, making the front and rear suspension feel very unbalanced (yes, I realize it is a pickup, but even for a pickup it...
  10. Lowering=Improved aerodynamics?

I got my drop done yesterday. I will spare you all the gory details (unless you want them...), but my drop came out pretty minor at 1 5/8" in back and 1 1/4" front. I will continue logging my gas mileage and report back. I typically log 500~600 miles per week, so it should not take too long...
  11. Lowering=Improved aerodynamics?

MSN autos gives ride heights. I found that over the years ride height has increased. If I remember right, my 2009 has about 2" more ground clearance than my 1995 did. I am in the process of gathering parts to lower my 2009 by 2" for a variety of reasons, one of which is squeezing a little...
  12. LS vs. No-slip on a daily driver

First, before everyone tells me to use the search function, I did, and basically everything was more for off-road. I have a 2009 4-cyl, 5-speed Ranger that is a true DD. I have no plans for any off-road use. My wife drives it some, too, so it can't have too many quirks (she can handle some...
  13. Lowering Forzda's 96 Mazda B3000

There are a few articles about lowering in the "body lifts and suspension" category that might help you out. Good luck and enjoy working on your truck!
  14. Lowering Forzda's 96 Mazda B3000

I have not done a shackle flip, but from what I understand there is not much room between the shackles and the bed after flipping. Probably not enough to put on long shackles. There are kits that relocate the axle above the springs, then use long shackles to reduce the drop to 3". That might...
  15. SLR performance chip

I say phooey! There is no way that chip will work on on any Ranger with any size engine from 1990 to 2011. They don't ask for year or engine, so they apparently claim one chip works with them all. And 60hp is pure bunk unless you are talking about a turbo engine. There might have been 20hp...
  16. Canuck Motorsports?

Does anyone have experience with Canuck Motorsports? They have lowering springs on eBay for a good price, and the description sounds good (yeah, I know...good marketing). They ask for year, model, engine, etc so that they can give you springs specific to your truck. Most places seem to simply...
  17. New guy needs help with fuel mileage too.

Is most of your driving city or highway? My '95 with a Lima (2.3/2.5 SOHC) with a 5-speed got 19-20 city, 24-25 highway. For comparison, my 2009 with a Duratec (DOHC) and 5-speed gets 25.5-26 highway. Four cylinder Rangers get good mileage for a pickup, but with pickup aerodynamics and weight...
  18. Ocassional hard start

I have a 2009 with about 30,000 miles. Occasionally it starts hard; it will crank for a few seconds and sometimes will barely catch, and other times it will just cough a couple times and need to be cranked again. Most times it starts right up as most modern cars do. It does not seem to matter...
  19. My updated Ranger....

Looks nice! I am considering doing a 2/2 drop on my 2009.
  20. Ride quality of a 2/2 drop

I am considering a 2/2 drop for my 2009 standard cab. I am thinking of flipping the rear shackles, going with 2" front springs (probably DJM), and lowered shocks all around. I live in SE Michigan and drive daily in Detroit for work...which means I drive on some of the worst roads in the...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad