• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. kxri318

Thermal compound used for TFI module...??

I have a 1986 Ford Ranger with the 2.9 and A4LD auto and the TFI module has been consistently overheating on long drives (30+ mins). I changed the thermal compound to Arctic MX-4 and screwed it back down pretty tight with no improvement. I then decided to relocate the module to the fender with a...
  2. kxri318

What are the specs of the thermal fuse in the blower motor resistor?

The fan was only working on high in my 1986 Ford Ranger and I read that it could be caused by the resistor itself or corrosion in the connectors. I checked all the connections and they're all 100% corrosion free, so I tested the actual thermal fuse on the resistor itself and the fuse is blown...
  3. kxri318

Limited to 3k RPM?

1986 Ranger 2.9 auto 2WD. I floored it for a couple seconds or so while driving yesterday and it's like it hit a 3k rpm wall. It stuck exactly at 3k and held it; didn't go over that at all according to my tach and also what I was hearing. Doesn't affect normal driving at all because I rarely go...
  4. kxri318

Bunch of codes after swapping 1988 Ranger ECU into 1986 Ranger

1986 Ranger 2.9 auto, ECU from 1988 Ranger 2.9 auto. The truck has been randomly missing for the last 2 years, replaced or checked literally everything except fuel pump, filters, and most of the wiring harness. Kept getting EGR codes even when all EGR related components were tested/replaced. I...
  5. kxri318

Knock Sensor Low Voltage

I've got a 1986 Ford Ranger 2.9 A4LD and got a knock sensor code. I checked the voltage at pin 23 on the ecu as shown in this connector pinout here: http://www.auto-diagnostics.info/ford_eec_iv and got only about 250mV when the truck was running when the diagram says I should be getting about 3v...
  6. kxri318

A Few Misc Questions

1986 Ford Ranger 2.9 Auto I've been having running issues for a while and have some other problems too, maybe they're related in some way.....?? 1. I can shift into all gears without the key being in, steering lock works fine when the key isn't in though. The Ranger I got a few parts from at...
  7. kxri318

1986 Ranger 2.9 Alternator Wiring

Just bought an alternator off rock auto to replace my current one and saw the new alternator has 3 wires (two black and one smaller white) while my current wiring harness only has the 2 black w/ orange stripe wires. The actual connector on the harness has 3 slots, but doesn't seem to use the...
  8. kxri318

1986 Ford Ranger 2.9 Ignition Control Module Overheating...??

I'm pretty sure the ignition control module on my truck is overheating on long drives. It's fine for short drives but starts misfiring after 25-30 minutes of straight driving. I drove for about 40 minutes and by the 25-ish minute mark, it started misfiring intermittently. This was happening...
  9. kxri318

1983 - 1992 Ford Ranger Filler Neck Fix + Diagram

First off, I'm not 100% on the year range this is for, so correct me if I'm wrong. I own a 1986 Ford Ranger and couldn't find many resources on how the filler neck worked and I couldn't find any new filler necks being sold anywhere, so I took my filler neck off and figured out how to fix it. It...
  10. kxri318

A4LD Whining Pretty Loud and Also Weird Whining Pattern

My '86 Ranger 2wd 2.9L with the A4LD has either started whining louder recently or I just never noticed it, but it's loud enough to be concerning. I can hear it echo off other cars at a stop light, in the garage, and also just standing outside while its idling. About half the fluid is brand new...
  11. kxri318

Extremely Shaky Idle and Also While Driving At Low-ish RPM

I've got a 1986 Ford Ranger with the 2.9 that I've been fighting to get running right for the past year now and it held an idle, but was kinda rough, misfired, and was all over the place. I decided to swap out the $65 Amazon special fuel injectors for the old oem ones and it seems to run (and...
  12. kxri318

O2 Sensor Wiring

My O2 sensor connector melted so I had to get a new connector and I'm like 90% sure I have it wired right, but I want to double check. Can anyone tell me what color wires are for data and which are for the heater on a 1986 Ford Ranger w/ 2.9? The wires actually going to the O2 sensor from the...
  13. kxri318

Fuel Injector Leaking Questions

The injectors on my 1986 Ranger 2.9 are definitely leaking, but it seems like barely leaking. When I jump the fuel pump with the injectors not even plugged into the wiring harness, I can see a tiny bit of fuel coming out of the nozzle and everything gets a bit coated in gas and shiny. Not sure...
  14. kxri318

Never ending idling problems

My truck has been idling really rough since I got it, I've replaced just about every single sensor there is on this truck except for the TPS. After replacing all that, I decided to test for vacuum leaks and I saw a leak from the lower intake manifold gasket and the pcv valve. Replaced both...
  15. kxri318

Which Oil Pan Gasket To Buy?

I was looking to buy a gasket for my oil pan on a 1986 Ranger 2.9 and saw 2 options when I looked it up. I see one that's all one piece and another thats 4 pieces plus another gasket. Advanced Auto Parts says both are compatible, so not sure which one to pick. It's a 2wd auto if that makes a...
  16. kxri318

Which radiator hose should I use?

I put a 4.0 heavy duty cooling radiator from a 92 explorer in my 86 Ranger and I've ran into some issues with my upper hose. The inlet on the 4.0 radiator is angled left unlike the original inlet so I'm not sure what hose to get. My original doesn't fit, and the flex hose I used for a bit can't...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad