• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Broken metal in lower oil pan

I verified that the oil was not coming from the tensioners, plugs near the tensioners, or the valve pan covers. I did not remove the rear jackshaft cover. I only removed the bolt that holds the cartridge in place and replaced the bolt with a new o-ring. I guess the next step is to pull the...
  2. Broken metal in lower oil pan

100% It's not coming from the oil filter or drain plug. I checked those first. It's hard to see behind the engine, but it does seem like oil is coming from somewhere under the bell housing. Are there oil pressure ports on the back of the engine?
  3. Broken metal in lower oil pan

I got the front timing components changed, the rear cartridge changed, and the entire engine put back together. I decided not to change the rear seal as it didn't seem wet as @RobbieD described. I cranked the car a few times with the fuel pump fuse out to get the oil circulating and then put...
  4. Broken metal in lower oil pan

@2011Supercab - my thoughts exactly.
  5. Broken metal in lower oil pan

@RobbieD - great idea on the mechanical pencil.
  6. Broken metal in lower oil pan

So I got the tranny out and the rear cartridge replaced. Oddly enough, it wasn't broken. The broken metal must have been from a previously broken rear timing cartridge. A ton of unnecessary work... Here is the next question, how often does the rear main seal go bad? Is this something I...
  7. Broken metal in lower oil pan

Thanks for the videos; I got the front timing chains changed. Now onto the back.
  8. Broken metal in lower oil pan

The engine was running, and I have compression on all cylinders. Not sure If I can pull the tranny and just change the cartridge or if I need to pull the engine.
  9. Broken metal in lower oil pan

Ugh, you are correct. I just verified with a new rear timing chain guide. This project just got a little more complicated.
  10. Broken metal in lower oil pan

Initially, I had the same thought. I'm almost 100% that is not the case. II believe the broken piece is cast aluminum so I'm guessing it might be part of one of the heads.
  11. Broken metal in lower oil pan

Hello, I have a 2005 Sport Trac that had the driver's side timing cartridge fail. I tore the timing cover off to replace the timing chains and noticed a piece of plastic off the cartrage was missing. I then removed the lower oil pan and found an odd piece of metal instead of finding a piece of...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad