• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Shadowranger

Need a hot lead for dash cam

Putting a dash cam in and it has a cig. lighter plug. The 12 outlet on the dash is hot all the time so I need somewhere else to wire the dashcam that is hot only when the engine is running. I can change out the cig. lighter plug and go two wires but would rather not so where should I look? 2001...
  2. Shadowranger

Stuck in 4 high

All's well. I connected the wiring plug in and set the dash switch to 2WD, turned the key on without the trans. case motor bolted in and the new shift motor went to the right setting. Worked!
  3. Shadowranger

Stuck in 4 high

I could move the shaft on the transfer case with pliers but it would go back to where it was when I released them. After watching the first two videos on YT, (neither addressed the issue), I found 2-3 commenters that had the solution. Connect the electrical plug without bolting the new motor in...
  4. Shadowranger

Stuck in 4 high

Cannot get the new Dorman trans. case motor shafts to line up. Dorman was no help, saying put it in neutral and they will line up which does not work...you tube people say connect the new motor's electric plug and move the dash switch to the desired setting which I will try next... These things...
  5. Shadowranger

Stuck in 4 high

Thanks, guys. I'm going to try replacing the shift motor myself and saw on YT that the drain plug is behind the balance weight. It didn't look all that hard so as long as the bolts aren't rusted and they come loose...this truck was originally in Michigan or similar with salted roads so has a bit...
  6. Shadowranger

Stuck in 4 high

Thanks, Ron. As I was typing last night's post I realized what a screw-up I did. I topped off the transfer case with gear oil having forgotten it should have been trans fluid. Should I try to siphon it out or will a new shift motor installation allow it to be drained? Sheesh..
  7. Shadowranger

Stuck in 4 high

A couple of says ago I had to make a hard right dog leg turn going down a steep grade and the truck went back to 2WD and that is where the dash switch was pointed. I checked the transfer case and found it pretty low. Toppped it off and it wiil stay there until I can get to the shop before I try...
  8. Shadowranger

Stuck in 4 high

Fuses are good...talked to my mechanic yesterday and he can't get to it yet and said they were having serious issues with getting parts. It's that supply chain problem that doesnt go away here.
  9. Shadowranger

Stuck in 4 high

Thanks, Ron. First thing in the morning, I'm on it! Don't hear the click.
  10. Shadowranger

Stuck in 4 high

2001 Ranger XLT 4.,0 extended cab (4 door) automatic trans. and electronic transfer case shift. (bought used, and have owned it 15 yrs. with no issues like this one) Couple of days ago leaving the property needing 4 hi to get to the blacktop, shift back to 2WD and it stayed in 4 hi. After a...
  11. Shadowranger

AC only comes out lower vents

I have to wait until a seal arrives before I go back to the shop and he can look at it. I hope it's an easy fix because it's getting hotter every day.
  12. Shadowranger

AC only comes out lower vents

So, after 3 months in the shop due to parts availability, I finally got the Ranger back yesterday. Engine pulled, main seal, transfer case seal, heads and valves done, on and on. Now the AC, which worked fine before this, only blows out the lower vents and with less volume than normal, even on...
  13. Shadowranger

4.0 Compression on 2001

Got it. Thanks, Ron. Will give him the ok on the valve job
  14. Shadowranger

4.0 Compression on 2001

It was something the mechanic suggested. Probably because it would be easy since the engine is out. At this point I don't care about the added cost but if it isn't necessary why bother, huh? I have complete trust in the mechanic having known him about 10 years now so that's not an issue...
  15. Shadowranger

4.0 Compression on 2001

So, still waiting for my mechanic to have an opening to do the timing chain work on the '01. It's at 140,000 miles and runs very good. I've been assuming the compression is good as I wait for this job and it's going to be a big one. 4x4 automatic and I have quite the list of things for him to...
  16. Shadowranger

Question about solar battery maint.

This morning's voltage reading was 12.46 (after reconnecting late yesterday) so it looks like a parasitic draw going on.
  17. Shadowranger

Thanks, will charge it and see what happens.
  18. Shadowranger

Ok, maybe good news...this morning's battery reading after being disconnected late yesterday afternoon (it read 12.56V) is now 12.57V. Weird question.....the little solar panel I had been using plugged into the power outlet was a 12V panel (about 6"x6") and since it was only putting out 5.5V...
  19. Shadowranger

Nothing is plugged in to those. . Will try unhooking the batt. and test, thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad