• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. 2005 Ranger Suspension Rebuild

Hi ya'll! I have a 2005 Ford Ranger FX4 Level 2 Manual Transmission with torsion bars. I bought it back in May and it has around 230K miles. I want to do a refresher on the suspension because it feels lose as heck (when breaking the front end will make weird popping noses and the rear end fish...
  2. 2005 Ford Ranger Won't Go Over 55 MPH

Mmm that's interesting. I would expect that to be an issue at a particular RPM not at a specific speed
  3. 2005 Ford Ranger Won't Go Over 55 MPH

As an update to all of ya'll: I never figured anything out but for some reason the car just stopped doing it at 55 MPH and now does it at 75-80 MPH. (it switched sometime at the beginning of October) I rarely go that fast so it is a non-issue for me now. Now I have to solve an issue with...
  4. 2005 Ford Ranger Won't Go Over 55 MPH

With the speed sensor unplugged on rear differential I still get a speed reading on the speedometer. When I plug the sensor I believe is the VSS on the transmission I lose any output on the speedometer so I think my VSS is on the transmission. I think this is overall a very confusing issue. I...
  5. 2005 Ford Ranger Won't Go Over 55 MPH

I've unplugged the VSS on the transmission and still had the issue (as well as all the WSS). It seems like none of the speed sensors are the issue to me
  6. 2005 Ford Ranger Won't Go Over 55 MPH

Is there anyway I could test that theory?
  7. 2005 Ford Ranger Won't Go Over 55 MPH

The speed sensor wasn't plugged in so I am not sure what speed it was at exactly but it felt about the same 55 MPH. There was no rev limiter with the speedo disconnected. I reved over 3,000 RPM in the lower gears and didn't have any issues. I also just went out to the car and was able to rev the...
  8. 2005 Ford Ranger Won't Go Over 55 MPH

Yes, the check engine light was on and throwing a code
  9. 2005 Ford Ranger Won't Go Over 55 MPH

Just drove the truck with the VSS on the transmission unplugged, took it for a test drive and had the same issue. Then I tried switching into 4 high, rolled it backward and then forward and then tried 4 low, backward and forward, went on a test drive on the high way, no change.
  10. 2005 Ford Ranger Won't Go Over 55 MPH

A little scared to play around with switching the car into 4WD because the transfer case has no oil in it. (It has a very fast leak. It'll drains in about a week. Another problem that needs to be fixed.)
  11. 2005 Ford Ranger Won't Go Over 55 MPH

I believe this not the case because my speedometer still worked fine with the rear WSS on the rear differential unplugged. I think there is a VSS on the transmission but am searching my workshop manual to confirm Update/Edit: I attached a picture of the VSS on the transmission
  12. 2005 Ford Ranger Won't Go Over 55 MPH

So I tried disconnecting the rear ABS speed sensor and still had the 55 MPH issue. I monitored the VSS from the code scanner and it did not show anything abnormal. I will try disconnecting the VSS soon to see if that makes any difference
  13. 2005 Ford Ranger Won't Go Over 55 MPH

Mmmm I checked my OBD2 code reader and I couldn't find a sensor for the VSS or rear ABS WSS on the live view. I was thinking I could try disconnecting them one at a time to see if it makes a difference tomorrow
  14. 2005 Ford Ranger Won't Go Over 55 MPH

Okay, so update: I got the scanner, plugged it in, and read the codes C1148 and C1158 Left and Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor Coherency Fault which appears to be saying I have a short somewhere between the sensor and the ABS module. I cleared the codes and drove it around trying to get the codes...
  15. 2005 Ford Ranger Won't Go Over 55 MPH

That's a great question. I'll try it later today after I get off of work! I 100% agree and am going to pick up a scantool after work. (I actually ordered one from autozone for in store pick up 2-3 weeks ago but was waiting to go pick it up if replacing the speed sensors were to fix the issue.)...
  16. 2005 Ford Ranger Won't Go Over 55 MPH

I finally had the time to replace the front wheel speed sensors myself on Friday. Knocked it out in about 2 hours, took for a test drive on the highway, boom at 55 MPH same issue. I'm trying to decide if I want to take it back to the dealership or try to diagnose on my own. I need to buy a car...
  17. 2005 Ford Ranger Won't Go Over 55 MPH

Update: alright so I caved and dropped it at the dealership last Friday July 16th. It was a strange problem they hadn't seen before and i finally got a call today that they think they've figured it out. They think its the front wheel ABS speed sensors. Over the phone I was told that they...
  18. 2005 Ford Ranger Won't Go Over 55 MPH

After buying the car in May, I swapped out the ignition coil, wires, spark plugs, fuel filter and did an oil change. Not sure if the previous owner had done something and I didn't test drive on the highway/at high speeds before buying it. The truck is very high mileage around 230,XXX
  19. 2005 Ford Ranger Won't Go Over 55 MPH

I hadn't even thought about the fuel system. I changed out the fuel filter about a month ago with Duralast (Autozone) brand fuel filter. I can look into checking the fuel pressure. Do you have any recommendations on how to check the pressure? That rattle that can be heard in the video is from...
  20. 2005 Ford Ranger Won't Go Over 55 MPH

I have a 2005 Ford Ranger Level 2 4X4 with a 4.0 Manual. It will not go over 55 MPH in 3rd, 4th or 5th gear. Once I get up to 55 the tach and speedo begin jumping down and the check engine light flashes. Seems like the car is being governed to 55 MPH. Has anyone else experienced this...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad