• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Transmission spins while towing with transfer case in neutral

Well, they tell me the Ranger is fixed and the dealer I bought it from will pick it up tomorrow and make me an offer for it. I will make a decision to either sell it to them or sell it myself based on their offer. I am simply spooked with flat towing this specific truck. They really cannot...
  2. Transmission spins while towing with transfer case in neutral

We did get an additional update. The transmission got damaged enough that they are replacing the transmission and cooling system. From what I was told, it means both metal and melted plastic were found in the system. We should get it back toward the end of next week, so that is good to have...
  3. Transmission spins while towing with transfer case in neutral

Well, we are into the 6th week and I do have some additional information. Ford is standing behind their product, as I would expect, but it nice to have it confirmed. I suspect there was a communication issue between the dealer repairing it and Ford technical, but I think we have that...
  4. Transmission spins while towing with transfer case in neutral

Sorry. I read the ‘external verification’ comment differently. While anyone is on the outside of the transfer case, I see the rolling forward and put it in gear(s) as physical (internal) verification of the transfer case position.
  5. Transmission spins while towing with transfer case in neutral

Well, I am not in complete agreement with this statement. If the transmission is in park and the transfer case is in neutral, you can confirm the position of the transfer case by simply pulling the coach forward. If the wheels roll, it is a positive, physical verification the TC is in neutral...
  6. Transmission spins while towing with transfer case in neutral

I agree. What I see wrong is that the Ford procedure does not have me mechanically confirm the TC is in neutral. If they would direct me to shift to D or R and watch for any movement (there should be none), I would be much happier. I am not even sure that part of it caused the problem, but I...
  7. Transmission spins while towing with transfer case in neutral

Correct. Everything else I looked at has you put the transmission in Park (or a gear if it is a stick shift). Even the GM 10 speed transmission gets put in park and GM/Ford developed the tranny together.
  8. Transmission spins while towing with transfer case in neutral

Incorrect. Both are required by Ford to be in neutral. All the others I have seen except Ford required the transmission to be in Park and that would prove the TC is in neutral.
  9. Transmission spins while towing with transfer case in neutral

RonD, To be fair, I had noticed firmer shifting, at least for months and maybe a year (not sure when I first noticed it). It was not enough for me to think something was wrong, but in the early months of ownership, it was so smooth I could not tell it was shifting. I know they found metal in...
  10. Transmission spins while towing with transfer case in neutral

I do not have any great technical information, at least yet, but I thought I would provide an update with what I know so far. The second dealership has tested it and confirmed it is the transmission and not the transfer case. They have the parts in to fix it and I am third in their...
  11. Transmission spins while towing with transfer case in neutral

I will. It may take a week or two more, I am guessing.
  12. Transmission spins while towing with transfer case in neutral

I am sure there are any number of solutions, but before I re-engineer this truck, I would simply change. I like my Ranger, but if I cannot reliably flat tow it, it is of marginal value to me.
  13. Transmission spins while towing with transfer case in neutral

It really is not that difficult, but you have to trust the indicator lights/display (maybe idiot lights). Using the Ford procedure, you cannot confirm the transfer case is in neutral except for the electronic display. A lot of the Jeeps are manual and the transmission goes in gear or park, so...
  14. Transmission spins while towing with transfer case in neutral

Actually, the service folks have several pages of error codes and the Ford app on my phone has a few of them. While they were working on it, the truck was sending me error codes. I doubt it goes as far as knowing the indication did one thing and the transfer case did another though.
  15. Transmission spins while towing with transfer case in neutral

Yeah, that terminology stuff. I meant neutral tow (transfer case in neutral).
  16. Transmission spins while towing with transfer case in neutral

It takes a lot to irritate me, but I can be kind of direct. People here initially asked the questions I asked as soon as I had the problem. I knew I got the correct position indications when I connected it But I had to revisit it mentally. I queried my wife because she took it out of tow mode...
  17. Transmission spins while towing with transfer case in neutral

Exactly. I suspect the transmission is a symptom, not the root of the problem. I think RonD hit the nail on the head.
  18. Transmission spins while towing with transfer case in neutral

Thanks. That is what I would have expected. It is going to another, supposedly more qualified dealer, so hopefully they can get it correct.
  19. Transmission spins while towing with transfer case in neutral

Yes, the dealer has tested it and they cannot do the extensive tranny work, so they are sending it to a dealer that can. The instructions say, and we see each time, messages that say Neutral Tow Leave In Neutral or Neutral Tow Enabled. And yes, tow mode is for towing a trailer (and I do that...
  20. Transmission spins while towing with transfer case in neutral

Yep, we know that and did that and got the correct responses, both before and after we towed. That is not the question.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad