• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Over torqued pinion nut

Thanks for all of the input. Looks like the seal is still leaking and with the driveshaft disconnected the flange was impossible to turn by hand without loosening the pinion nut. I loosened the nut and could turn it, but it feels pretty crunchy... bearings are definitely smoked. I think I'm...
  2. Over torqued pinion nut

How would you rate the difficulty of a job like that and do I need any special tools to do it? Looks like I can get a rebuild kit on RockAuto for about $100 as long as I don't have to replace the ring and pinion as well. I'm trying to weigh the cost/benefit of rebuilding vs throwing another axle...
  3. Over torqued pinion nut

I backed the nut off a tad because it was so tight that I couldn't turn the flange at all. I've never crushed a new sleeve before so I don't have a feel for what it takes, but my impact gun is rated for 700 ft lbs.
  4. Over torqued pinion nut

So I have 2002 Ranger XLT Supercab 4x4 with the 8.8" 4.10 non L/S rear axle (code 97) with 212,000 miles on it. The pinion seal was leaking and I replaced it in a hurry right before a 500 mile road trip. In my haste to replace it I was running the pinion nut back on with the rattle gun with the...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad