• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. T.Wolf

Odometer/Trip meter advice '96 2.3l 5spd 2wd XLT supercab

For anyone else's benefit, I did the worm gear replacement as described here in the forums. While it was apart I hit the trip reset mechanism with a little WD-40, it immediately loosened up and began to work normally again. I also used a 9 volt battery and multimeter probes to test each warning...
  2. T.Wolf

No Instrument Illumination after Odometer gear replacement.

The link you sent won't let me send the files there either, but the quality of the uploads seems fine.
  3. T.Wolf

I'm attaching the two-part diagram I used. Since the system limits file, Admin please let me know if I should email them somewhere for better quality upload.
  4. T.Wolf

More info: I found a new diagram specific to the 1996. The illumination wire is Red/Black. With the dimmer and cluster disconnected, I tested the Red/Black from the dimmer connector to C1 and C2, both show continuity. Armed with the new info, I reinstalled the cluster, jumped the power from the...
  5. T.Wolf

I appreciate the reply Josh. Bulbs are all fine. I used some farmhand ingenuity to create a poorman's tester. Putting the probes on the circuit trace on the back of the cluster lights the bulb to prove it works.
  6. T.Wolf

A little more info to add: I read in another thread about the Light Blue/Red being the Illumination wire. At the back of the dimmer there is a very short (5" or so) Light Blue/Red that runs back to the headlight switch. I checked voltage there and got 4.4 to 3.2 volts to ground depending on the...
  7. T.Wolf

1996 Ranger Super Cab, 4cyl, 5m, - I went through the whole process of removing the cluster, repairing the gear, and putting everything back. Great success! Only to find out when it got dark that I have no cluster illumination. The warning lights all work fine. Turn signal & high beam...
  8. T.Wolf

Odometer/Trip meter advice '96 2.3l 5spd 2wd XLT supercab

I've read through the options to repair or replace the odometer motor and worm gear - I get it. However, in my list of symptoms the speedometer works fine, the odometer has stopped working after a long road trip, and the trip meter doesn't turn and hasn't worked well or been "reset-able" since...
  9. T.Wolf

96 Ranger XLT ext cab 5spd 2.3l wiring harness

When I unplugged both relays, I found out one of them causes a problem when removed (the one that still has a diode). If the relay is not connected, turning the key will not engage the starter. Plugging the relay back in, fixes the issue. The wiring goes directly back into the fuse block at the...
  10. T.Wolf

New '96 Ranger owner seeking wisdom from folks who've been there...

I took the bull by the horns and took out the shredded headliner over the weekend. I used the dog's slicker brush and a shop vac to clean all the old fabric and any loose foam off the fiberglass board. I bought sturdy cotton cloth and foam-backed headline fabric from Joann's. I glued the cotton...
  11. T.Wolf

I have a fairly steep driveway. If I back-up slowly, I suspect I can easily get the fuel to run out without having to fill the tank again. On a flat surface, I might even use a floor jack to accomplish the same thing by raising the rear end.
  12. T.Wolf

I appreciate any help as well as your patience with my ignorance of the ranger. This is my first, that I've owned about a week. I put an alternator and new battery in it already. The original alternator (according to the original owner) had never been replaced at nearly 259,000 miles. Timing...
  13. T.Wolf

Okay. I will eat a little crow here... I just did a search for audiovox relays and look at the images I found on ebay!!! Thanks Eric! Although they were installed well enough to appear like stock wiring to me, they seem to be add-on audiovox equipment. Guess I'll trace them back a little...
  14. T.Wolf

Eric, I agree it connects to a relay of some kind (both connectors do). I'm sure the alarm stuff was an add-on (not stock equipment), but these look like stock relays and connectors. I discovered in the early darkness tonight the radio backlighting (buttons and knobs) stay on (no key in or...
  15. T.Wolf

I took a couple more photos and noticed on the similar connector to the left of the light blue label (in my original photo) there is a diode (see picture). It looks like these are supposed to be identical (maybe), but there is no diode on the one that was cut. The only information I can find on...
  16. T.Wolf

I see I was not very clear in my comments, but the harness/connector I'm referring to attaches to the exposed spades (just under the Made in Philippines tag). In looking more closely at the picture, the White/black may go back to the fuse block too. I was pretty tired when I wrote it... sorry.
  17. T.Wolf

In the process of stripping out an old audiovox alarm. I ran across a harness that had been tapped in the cab to the left of the steering column. I'm trying to restore it to factory connections. It has 4 wires a red, a black, white/black stripe, and an Orange. The black and the orange were both...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad