• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by Ultraspontane

1. Most reliable Ranger configuration?

If we're just talking about 90's to mid 00's trucks, I'd say GM made better engines during that era, by far. Only owned two GM made vehicles before this truck. A '99 Chevy Astro with 300,000 miles, and '93 c1500 with 150k that I still own. Both with the 4.3 v6. The 4.3 and 350 speak for...
  2. Most reliable Ranger configuration?

I never was a brand loyal kind of guy. Ford made some pieces of shit in their day, same with GM. Their full size pickups don't fall into that category thankfully. The many used gmt800s I saw for sale with 300,000 miles still in good condition influenced my decision for sure. 5.3 has a good...
  3. Most reliable Ranger configuration?

I ended up buying this. She's got some miles (170k) on her, but is in very nice shape. All optioned out, it's a cowboy Cadillac compared to the Rangers I looked at. Very luxurious for the year. 5.3l v8, push button 4x4, leather, heated seats, all that jazz. I'll probably keep the 93 c1500 for...
  4. Most reliable Ranger configuration?

I miss the days when I was able to get by without a truck. Good reliable cars that you can easily drive for 7 more years can be found for $3,000 pretty much everywhere. Looking for a truck that meets the same standard for $5k is like searching for a needle in a haystack for sure.
  5. Most reliable Ranger configuration?

Yeah, I'd love a nice OBS Ford with either a 4.9, 5.0, or 5.8. Problem is, can't find decent ones around here in my price range. They're all beat to shit and ate up with rust.
  6. Most reliable Ranger configuration?

My Chevy 4.3 is seeming a heck of a lot better after reading this thread. ? Looks like we've narrowed it down to the 3.0 and 2.3.
  7. Most reliable Ranger configuration?

Damn, that's a shame. It fills my needs perfectly otherwise. I doubt they ever had it fixed, they didn't drive it enough for it to break in the first place. Also found an '01 3.0 5spd 4x4 with 159k with new heads and a recent clutch job for 3,700. It's in rougher shape, but has had more...
  8. Most reliable Ranger configuration?

Yeah, I've heard about the timing chain issue. Is that something that can be prevented by maintenance? Is it an inevitable problem, or does it affect 4.0's randomly? The owners claim to have used Mobil 1 in the truck throughout its life. I was very impressed by how smoothly the engine ran. I...
  9. Most reliable Ranger configuration?

I found an 03' rwd 4.0 auto with 70k miles, owned by an old couple who are the original owners, and used it to haul the old man's electric wheel chair around. They're asking 5k for it. The motor sounded new. Totally quiet at idle. They were mild mannered old folks, I doubt they drove it very...
  10. Most reliable Ranger configuration?

Thanks for the spirited discussion, boys. I have to admit, part of me just wanted to sit back and watch the dust up as you all duke it out. I'm still looking for a truck. Currently driving a 93 GMC c1500, that is serving me well enough (haha I don't expect that one to go over well here) but is...
  11. Most reliable Ranger configuration?

Of course the condition, and history of maintenance and upkeep is the most important. Even still, surely some were more reliable than others. Buying an older used vehicle usually means it's been through a couple owners, and comes with incomplete service records. It's a gamble no matter what...
  12. Most reliable Ranger configuration?

What the most reliable and bulletproof Ranger config out there? I need small truck for work, and drive a lot of miles every week in heavy stop and go city traffic, with the occasional long highway road trip here and there. Reliability, low maintenance, and running costs are my primary...
  13. What fluid to use in tranny and transfer case?

I've noticed the BII is a little harder to shift when it's cold out, becomes easier once the truck warms up thoroughly. I've also noticed noise from the transfer case when I'm coasting along in gear at certain speeds. IT sounds like a metal on metal grinding noise. The sound goes away when...
  14. RBV's vs Toyota equivalent?

I'm not a brand loyalist, but I like my Bronco II. I also like Toyota pickups and 4Runners. How do you folks compare the Toyota offerings to your beloved Ranger platform? I've never owned a Toyota truck, but I've heard great things about them. Whenever I read forum threads comparing Toyotas to...
  15. New BII owner, here is my laundry list of questions

Hey all, I'm glad I've stumbled upon this forum. Seems to be a great resource. I've recently acquired a 1989 Bronco II Eddie Bauer edition. I'll be using it as a daily driver around town and for mountain biking trips to the mountains (I live in Denver). It starts up every time and seems to run...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad