• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by TDI Ranger

1. New engine or repair?

Well the 2nd new motor went in. I started it up and to my horror it started making nearly the same noises. At first I was slightly embarrassed thinking I had misdiagnosed the first engine. I investigated further with a stethoscope and determined it was coming from the lower part of the engine...
  2. Bracket mounting location?

On my 03' with the 4.0 SOHC, I have two brackets for securing wiring, possibly for the O2 sensor and wiring harness. I believe they came from behind the engine, mounted to the bell housing. These were left off 2 years ago. I would really like to put them on, but I cannot figure it out. Does...
  3. Mexican Quad Cab importable?

Here in Alabama, I have seen one of the South American 4 door rangers up here with Mexican plates. They look almost exactly the same but there are many differences in the body panels and drivetrain. They use a Eaton transmission and a Dana 44 rear axle. I own one of the diesel engines and I have...
  4. New engine or repair?

Well, the motor was installed and first started this past Sunday. As it was coming to temperature and the idle speed was slowing down, a clattering inside the engine became very apparent. Immediate disappointment. I drove it 20 miles and it didn't go away. Ran great but obviously had issues.The...
  5. Genuine OTC 6488 or Amazon knockoff

Something you also need is the rear jackshaft sprocket tool. I didn't use this tool the first time I did this job. I just used the camshaft locking tool in the OTC tool kit, and tried to hold the front bolt. I'm not positive but I think this is what caused the camshaft failure minutes after...
  6. New engine or repair?

Following up, I decided it was best for me to get a new Ford reman. I'm at a point in life where I'm tired of working on stuff. I also bought Ford stuff to rework the engine that is coming out. It will go back as a spare if needed one day. Or I might sell it.... For anyone wondering, the long...
  7. New engine or repair?

Here we go again. It's been two years and about 25k miles since I had the engine out and installed a Cloyes timing set. I started hearing a rattle at start up that has been getting worse. I bought new Ford OEM tensioners. I started with the passenger side. Somehow the threads on the cylinder...
  8. Frame Prep for POR 15 coating

In my experience POR 15 will not fail if applied using the whole process and topcoating. I'm going on 14 years now on my VW Rabbit diesel restoration. 150k+ miles later it hasn't failed. The engine and lots of underside parts were coated with it. If it fails it wasn't done right. I actually...
  9. seems like an appropriate purchase for the 4th of July

Yeah, Fox news is crap Within my lifetime I expect all "legal" gun ownership to be by registration only. Probably single shot something or other only. They have been chipping at it one small bit at a time. The biggest infringement was in the 30's with the national firearms act, followed by...
  10. Found! Camper shell

I found a camper shell in a neighboring state. After a 600 mile round trip I have what I was looking for.
  11. For Sale Rebuild able core 4.0 SOHC

Anybody interested in a core 4.0 SOHC from my 2011? Long story, ended up replacing the engine due to lack of available parts way back. Anyway I hate to scrap it. I bought the truck not running, overheated. Reworked the heads, new timing set. The RH cam shaft failed shortly after getting the...
  12. If you have a 2008 Ranger with a 4.0.... SEND HELP

Oh wow that's horrible. I don't have a label on my truck either. I didn't bother when I replaced the radiator core support. No emissions testing or inspections here. No cats, no mufflers, no side mirrors, who cares here.. . It's probably time to move to another state. Sadly California is lost...
  13. Found! Camper shell

I am in search of a used camper shell/ top for my 03' ranger. I'm willing to travel somewhat in the southeast. I am looking for one of the nicer types such as a A.R.E. Z-series. Black is preferable, but the color doesn't matter. I'll repaint it if necessary. It doesn't have to be perfect, but...
  14. Should I buy this rear axel for my 2003 Ranger Edge?

I installed a level 2 axle, with the torsen locker in my truck. I shouldn't have been, but I was a little surprised how easily the rear end of these trucks will brake loose and try to swap sides. I misjudged how fast a car was speeding once and pulled out in front of them. I got in the gas heavy...
  15. No start after timing chain replacement

The truck is finally running. I found an explorer with a good running engine. Once the engine was pulled, it was stripped to the bare long block. Someone previous had broken one of the exhaust manifold studs off in the head. While removing the manifold I managed to break off another myself...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad