• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by Mr4btTahoe

1. 2.3L ('83-'97) 1990 2.3 Odd Misfire Issues - New Engine

And here we go... the whole drawn out process. Lol. Since the videos, I've replaced the exhaust system and ECU (to fix a weird CEL issue that wouldn't pull codes but kept the light dimly lit). It's running decent. Still does the weird cold stumble if revved up over 2200rpm or so ... but...
  2. 2.3L ('83-'97) 1990 2.3 Odd Misfire Issues - New Engine

Sorry for the long wait.... they ended up sending a long block because they couldn't get a cylinder head.... and it took this long to get one. Just got it swapped in and running decent. Sent the original new one back Monday and now just waiting on reimbursement for the labor. Thankfully...
  3. 2.3L ('83-'97) 1990 2.3 Odd Misfire Issues - New Engine

I had a set from Sealed Power sitting here so thats what I threw in it. I'm pretty certain it's a valve height issue (poor machine work) so I wanted them to replace the head anyways... that way I can measure it up before doing the work. We'll see. They say its going to be 2-3 weeks to get...
  4. 2.3L ('83-'97) 1990 2.3 Odd Misfire Issues - New Engine

Update... So finally got a hold of the manufacturer of the engine (LKQ btw is who remans ALL of the engines for the parts stores such as o'reillys, autozone, etc). They agreed that it appeared to be a valve train issue. First they had me replace lifters... no change. They are now sending...
  5. 2.3L ('83-'97) 1990 2.3 Odd Misfire Issues - New Engine

Update... oil made no difference. On the suggestion of another.... I did a dollar bill test. Held a piece of paper up the the exhaust.. while it's running smooth, it's constantly blowing outward. When it's misfiring, it'll suck the paper into the pipe (nearly out of my hand) which typically...
  6. 2.3L ('83-'97) 1990 2.3 Odd Misfire Issues - New Engine

I'm assuming these would fix the issue. You'd have to machine the head for the solid adjustable units. I'll see if thinner oil helps here soon. I get off work in a few hours. The anti pump up hydraulic units are my next plan if the warranty will pay for them. I'd rather do that than pull...
  7. 2.3L ('83-'97) 1990 2.3 Odd Misfire Issues - New Engine

This is literally the exact same issue this truck is having. I've narrowed it down to lifters or poor machine work (valve height set too low)... could also be weak valve springs. Apparently it's rather common on reman heads as they just cut the valve seats like any other engine but you can't...
  8. 2.3L ('83-'97) 1990 2.3 Odd Misfire Issues - New Engine

I put my OTC gauge set on it while the engine was out of the truck... made 75psi on the drill priming the pump (low speed 1/2" drill at that). Apparently, lifter pump up is a common issue on these engines too. I've talked to the outfit I got the engine from... I'm going to dump the oil...
  9. 2.3L ('83-'97) 1990 2.3 Odd Misfire Issues - New Engine

I think I've nailed it down finally. It's a cylinder head / lifter issue. I've now found 2 more people having the exact same issue with reman engines. A mix of bad valve height and lifters pumping up too far holding the valves open when oil is cold (and at high rpm when the oil is warm). I...
  10. 2.3L ('83-'97) 1990 2.3 Odd Misfire Issues - New Engine

I'm really leaning towards a cylinder head issue at this point. The old engine had a cracked head and still ran good... and literally everything is the same... I'm calling the parts house in the morning.
  11. 2.3L ('83-'97) 1990 2.3 Odd Misfire Issues - New Engine

I'm really starting to wonder if its got a valve issue. I pulled the exhaust at the manifold... when it starts misfiring, it has a tapping sound that comes from the exhaust with every misfire... then it goes away as soon as the misfire stops. Is it possible that it's got a valve issue...
  12. 2.3L ('83-'97) 1990 2.3 Odd Misfire Issues - New Engine

Update... So I'd ordered a set of injectors for it to rule that out... no change. Sent them back. Replaced the coolant temp sensor tonight because it made zero running difference plugged in vs unplugged... and again.. no change. I'm starting to wonder if its an issue with the crank...
  13. 2.3L ('83-'97) 1990 2.3 Odd Misfire Issues - New Engine

It's not a huge difference when the coil packs get unplugged... but its noticeable. RPM changes a little (same for either coil pack). Plug wire routing has been triple checked at this point and I'd say it wouldn't run good at all if it were wrong. Not only did I verify with pictures, but I...
  14. 2.3L ('83-'97) 1990 2.3 Odd Misfire Issues - New Engine

Engine was swapped due to an oil leak... sounds odd... but it was leaking a quart every 50 miles or so. Pulled the engine to do a re-seal and clutch job. Oil leak was coming from the oil pan and the back corner of the head gasket. Pulled the head and it was cracked. Couldn't find a...
  15. 2.3L ('83-'97) 1990 2.3 Odd Misfire Issues - New Engine

Truck ran great prior to having the engine out. It sat for over a week with the fuel system open. It's been suggested that I try swapping injectors as I could have one sticking. The injectors are original (although I did replace the orings on them prior to installing them... they looked a...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad