• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by larams2380

1. 1988 2.9L Fuel Issues PLEASE HELP! Scratching head on this one!

Ron D should the slip yoke and shaft four the four wheel drive be able to rotate back and forth by hand? have a loud clunking sound when driving over potholes and such and this is the only loose thing that I can find.
  2. 1988 2.9L Fuel Issues PLEASE HELP! Scratching head on this one!

Thank you RonD for the uplifting comment! Feel foolish but will know better next time!
  3. 1988 2.9L Fuel Issues PLEASE HELP! Scratching head on this one!

No. Had firing order off one hole....all fixed now
  4. 1988 2.9L Fuel Issues PLEASE HELP! Scratching head on this one!

IT WAS ME! had firing order off one hole and that was the entire issue! cannot trust myself and must double check work before hiring out...thanks all!
  5. 1988 2.9L Fuel Issues PLEASE HELP! Scratching head on this one!

I have a neighbor that feels the motor was rebuilt and whoever put it back together put the distributor in 180 degrees and changed the firing order at the same time. In replacing the plug wires I followed the correct firing order which equals no start. Hoping he fixes it this week and will...
  6. 1988 2.9L Fuel Issues PLEASE HELP! Scratching head on this one!

yea it is strange. 40 lbs pressure at the rail and sounds like gas is returning to tank. I do not recall the pumps running all the time when I bought the truck but then again was not listening for it. Will run the tests and keep you posted. if it was indeed hot wired would it bypass the relay?
  7. 1988 2.9L Fuel Issues PLEASE HELP! Scratching head on this one!

I am not understanding how this addressess the fuel pumps continually running? I will do the 50/50 but it won't fix the pumps. could the fuel filter be the culprit? Your input is MUCH appreciated!
  8. 1988 2.9L Fuel Issues PLEASE HELP! Scratching head on this one!

Yes pumps off with relay out
  9. 1988 2.9L Fuel Issues PLEASE HELP! Scratching head on this one!

Correct. Fuel pumps run with ecu disconnected and key in on position. Will do 50/50 test but I do know I have good spark. May get a light tester and test timing. Sounds like it wants to start but when turning key to off it gives a puh puh sound
  10. 1988 2.9L Fuel Issues PLEASE HELP! Scratching head on this one!

Thank you RonD. Relay is good as when disconnected pumps shut off. FPR has no fuel at vacuum line. When key in "on" position only and I unplug ECU pumps still run so I figured the capacitors are good in the ECU. If not flooding how are plugs getting soaked?
  11. 1988 2.9L Fuel Issues PLEASE HELP! Scratching head on this one!

Ok after coming home from out of town work I have done the following and still scratching my head..... 1. Fuel pumps running constantly. Flooding spark plugs. Disconnected ECM to rule it out and ECM is good as fuel pumps keep running 2. Good spark 3. Firing order corrected 4. Power to...
  12. 1988 2.9L Fuel Issues PLEASE HELP! Scratching head on this one!

RonD thank you for this info. You are right. I tend to overthink it then spend countless hours testing the same things....I want to get this done with only me fixing it. But of course with everyone's gracious help on this forum!
  13. 1988 2.9L Fuel Issues PLEASE HELP! Scratching head on this one!

Shran I do have spark, checked the firing order and all good. I thought that as well that I am missing some connection somewhere and have looked and looked. Aside from tearing the plenum back off and starting over I have no idea but will keep at it!
  14. 1988 2.9L Fuel Issues PLEASE HELP! Scratching head on this one!

RonD capacitors look good but will heed Shran's advice to recheck them. any other ideas? everything else checks out. Maybe fuel filter? as I told Shran going to get a fuel pressure tester and hook that up to see what happens.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad