• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by dirtracer11591

1. 2.9 misfires while alternator is working.

I wanted to update this thread that the problem was SOLVED. Back tracking through parts that had already been replaced multiple times by the mechanics before me I found the new TFI had some substantially higher resistances than it should. Replaced it with a TFI that had already been on the truck...
  2. 2.9 misfires while alternator is working.

Early on i did unplug the TPS to see if it would force it into a "limp mode" on the alpha-n map but it made no difference. I didnt actually touch my meter to it. I guess going back and verifying the function of all the parts the previous mechanics threw at it like the TPS would be my best course...
  3. 2.9 misfires while alternator is working.

Unfortunately I already tried to directly ground the alternator case to no avail. Im convinced I've got some kind of wild coincidence going on here. I've just got to figure out how the alternator which I've verified is functioning as intended is having such a drastic effect on the ignition system.
  4. 2.9 misfires while alternator is working.

Charging voltage looks good. 13.5 at idle and gets up to about 13.8 while it's spitting and sputter and doesn't seem to be fluctuating even tho the engine is bucking all over the place. No AC voltage at the alternator either. My meter flashes like it may have just barely picked something up...
  5. 2.9 misfires while alternator is working.

All of these wires check out. The only thing I seen off is his Ammeter doesn't seem to be moving. Sits just off center toward the C and doesn't seem to move with engine on or off. But I've tested the voltage at the battery and confirmed the alternator is charging. Would a malfunction in the...
  6. 2.9 misfires while alternator is working.

Yes, best way i can describe it is the engine misfires at idle and as soon as throttle is applied it starts cutting out so frequently its almost like it has a 2000 rpm rev limiter but you can let it stumble its way up. The second you disconnect the regulator it clears right up. Doesn't misfire...
  7. 2.9 misfires while alternator is working.

Another odd symptom i noticed is when I disconnected the battery while the truck is running the truck ran even worse, nearly stalling out at idle, than it does running off pure battery power. At this point im convinced there has got to be something amiss in the truck wiring causing two different...
  8. 2.9 misfires while alternator is working.

I did verify the alternator was charging properly however after realizing the alternator could be left powered on but the belt could be left to slip and it didn't seem to misfire I should probably examine what it does when it is trying to rev up a little closer.
  9. 2.9 misfires while alternator is working.

I had read that the most common cause would likely be the alternator leaking AC voltage but I didnt know what the proper location to test for it would be so I will check that. I did check the diodes on the Motorcraft i removed with my fluke just because it was laying out and easy to get at and...
  10. 2.9 misfires while alternator is working.

Ok so the wiring is correct for the in dash Ammeter. I was told the shop that had it before me "fixed some of the old wiring" so I was weary blindly trusting the relatively clean connector when it didn't match the wiring diagrams that were supposedly for a truck with an ammeter. So the "S"...
  11. 2.9 misfires while alternator is working.

Alright guys, I need some fellow mechanics to bounce ideas around with because I'm running out of them. Im working on a 87 2.9 ranger with ammeter for a buddy of mine. The ignition skips at idle and cuts out so bad under load it doesn't want to rev past 2000 rpm. It COMPLETELY clears up when the...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad