Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'PlumCrazy'
October 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Ted R.'
October 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. Place posts that don't fit in any other forums here.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
Ranger Sport Honduras
Zoom Zoom

Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle Make: Mazda
Vehicle Model: Mazda 3
I use this vehicle for: Zoom Zooming around
Ranger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ranger Sport Honduras
Exclamation need help with Mazda B6 engine

sup guys, my cousin-who helps me with the stuff i do to my truck recently repaired his mercury tracer engine, its a Mazda B6 engine, 1.6 liter 8 valve.

he just finished putting it back together, but now he has 2 issues,

1. seems like the valve rockers do have a position order while he has em mixed up. so if anyone would know whats the valve rocker order(seems like each has a number engraved) so theres an orderto place them in the shaft.

2. the timing specs and timing mark positions for the timing belt. the mark position of the cam shaft and crank shaft.

i would really appreciate(ill give rep) to anyone that can help me with this info because he needs to start this engine soon.

Thanks

RSH
Ranger Militia
Cardomain(All the trucks)
Ranger Sport Honduras is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 11-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
adsm08
EOAH

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Elevenses
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

Well, I can't find the numbering for the rockers, but I did find the rocker arm and shaft ID info. From what I can tell, cyl 1 and 2 intake and exhaust valves are all the same with the little knob (working from really crappy pics pointing to cylinder 4.

The same applies to the rockers for cyls 3 and 4, but the knob points to cylinder 1. The "knob" is between where the shaft goes and the end of the rocker.

The shafts are different too, if you lay them side by side all the holes should line up, except for two. At the cylinder 4 end there will be two holes that are closer together on one shaft, that is the cyl 4 end of the exhaust shaft.

As for timing, there are two marks on the cam gear, at roughly 90* to each other. These need to be set at roughly the 12 and 3 positions, and the one at the 12, should be lined up with a mark on the head. A similar mark should be on the crank gear and lined up with a mark on the block at about the 12 position.

Here are the step-by-step instructions from Alldata:

Remove timing belt covers, as described under TIMING BELT COVER.
Remove timing belt tensioner spring and retaining bolt.
Mark direction of rotation on timing belt, so it can be reinstalled in the same direction.
Remove timing belt from sprockets.
Check timing belt, tensioner and sprockets for wear and damage.
Align camshaft and crankshaft timing marks, Fig. 9.
Install timing belt with rotation mark placed during removal facing in the same direction.
Position timing belt tensioner to engine, then install tensioner bolt finger tight, Fig. 10.
Rotate crankshaft in direction of rotation two revolutions, aligning camshaft and crankshaft timing marks, Fig. 9.
Check to ensure timing marks are properly aligned. If not, realign.
Tighten timing belt tensioner bolt.
Measure deflection between crankshaft and camshaft sprockets. Deflection should be .35 to .39 inch at 22 pounds pressure. If deflection is not within limits, repeat steps 9 through 12.
Install timing belt covers as described under TIMING BELT COVER.

Hope some of this is useful.

EDIT:

Here is the pic I used for figuring out the rocker part. If anyone else has a different interpretation of that image, feel free to offer it. Alldata has crappy pics.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

Violence might not be the answer, but it's certainly worth a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah Goldberg
If “violence never solved anything,” cops wouldn’t have guns and slaves may never have been freed.
Shop manuals

Last edited by adsm08; 11-07-2010 at 07:51 PM.
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
Ranger Sport Honduras
Zoom Zoom

Ranger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a lot!! he will deff go from this to find the issue.

ill give him the info and report back if the issue is fixed.

damn i cant rep u right now
Ranger Militia
Old 11-07-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
adsm08
EOAH

Asteroids Champion

adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Sport Honduras View Post
damn i cant rep u right now
That's ok. I've picked up more rep points in the last 3 days than all of last month.

Quote:
If “violence never solved anything,” cops wouldn’t have guns and slaves may never have been freed.
Shop manuals
Old 11-07-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
Ranger Sport Honduras
Zoom Zoom

ok so he has the timming set at 12 and 3
he seems to have the rockers in the right position
the engine starts but sputters. and seems to backfire through the air filter

ill print the diagram so he looks at it when i have a chance to go to his place
Ranger Militia
Old 11-07-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
adsm08
EOAH

Asteroids Champion

If it's backfiring through the intake he may just have the timing off. Did he set it to TDC and try to time it from there?

Quote:
Shop manuals
Old 11-07-2010, 08:24 PM   #7
Ranger Sport Honduras
Zoom Zoom

thats what im telling him, he seems to have it at the marks, but i think he should adjust it a bit and check if that fixes it. when he adjusted it at the 12 position on the cam shaft got it worst, so maybe adjusting it between 3-3:30 would make it run better.
but he said he only saw 1 mark on the cam shaft, while the manual mentions 2.
Ranger Militia
Old 11-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #8
adsm08
EOAH

Asteroids Champion

He could try putting the cam mark to 3, that might help.

I'm really not too fond of these stupid OHC engines.

Quote:
Shop manuals
Old 11-07-2010, 08:35 PM   #9
Ranger Sport Honduras
Zoom Zoom

yeal ill translate and print him the info u gave me, hopefully he will make it from there.

Thanks a lot man.
Ranger Militia
Old 11-07-2010, 08:37 PM   #10
adsm08
EOAH

Asteroids Champion

No problem. Hope you get her running.

Quote:
Shop manuals