Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'Kona'
June 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Dazzlin' Dave'
June 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Styling & Electrical > Misc Electrical & Gauges

Misc Electrical & Gauges Post your speedometer, gauges, interior and non audio/video questions here.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
shane96ranger
\----===FoMoCo===----/

Vehicle Year: 1997 / 1989
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: F150 XLT / Mustang GT
I use this vehicle for: Everything / The war on imports
shane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow How to change the voltage regulator and/or brushes in your alternator

I'm pretty anal when it comes to maintenance on my vehicles. My truck just hit 115,000 miles so I decided I'd better replace the brushes in the alternator. I wasn't experiencing any flickering, or any issues at all actually. I just decided to do it for cheap insurance. I bought this kit from the local "A&E Generator" which re-manufactures alternators and starters. The guy gave me new screws, the retaining pin, and the brushes with housing for about 4 dollars. He told me some of them have epoxy on the screws that hold the brush housing to the regulator, but mine was not like that. I'm sure a notch with a Dremel and a flat head screw driver could get them out.

Anyway, I snapped some photos and explained what I did. I've done this so many times, I can do it in my sleep. Saying that, I'd like to note that this is the first time I had an official retaining pin to hold the brushes in place. Every other time I've found bending a paperclip works quite well.

I am open to any wording suggestions. Shout at me, and I'll see what we can come up with. Especially if I misspelled a word(s).

EDIT: I would also like to add that I know this will work on several different alternators. I do know this process here will not work with a 6G alternator because the regulator is internal.

This step below was just a measure to show how the pin retains the brushes in position through the hole. They will need to both be pushed back in order to install them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammert609@yahoo.com View Post
I am being told by family an friends my truck is a piece of shit

Last edited by shane96ranger; 11-01-2010 at 08:42 AM.
shane96ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 11-01-2010, 01:51 AM   #2
Doofy
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: retirement rig
Doofy is on a distinguished road

Good write-up and photos! Let's see how to change those pesky bearings ???
Doofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:30 AM   #3
shane96ranger
\----===FoMoCo===----/

shane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Good write-up and photos! Let's see how to change those pesky bearings ???
Thank you. I have never had to change the bearings before. I certainly will when/if the time comes.

Quote:
Old 11-01-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
shane96ranger
\----===FoMoCo===----/

As of right now there have been 84 "views" of the page. No suggestions yet?

Quote:
Old 11-01-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
Earl43P
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 2000
I use this vehicle for: a driveway ornament, light hauling
Earl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really nice

I never managed to get the inner race of the small bearing off the shaft. You need a puller, maybe a slide hammer. The big bearing is cake. You can pry the dust cap and regrease them, just like idler/tensioner 6203 bearings.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:09 PM   #6
Ranger SVO

Vehicle Year: 1993
Ranger SVO is on a distinguished road

Good write up, thanks

Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.
Giordano Bruno
Ranger SVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:25 PM   #7
shane96ranger
\----===FoMoCo===----/

Thank you RangerSVO, I appreciate the compliment!

Hey Earl43P, thanks for the pics on the bearings. I have a 6G alternator I want to dig into. I replaced one on my neighbors Taurus the other day, so I have her old one. It has bad diodes in it. I started looking into it and it has a sealed bearing on the back that resides in a plastic sleeve. I tried to get it off of there, but I think it's going to require me fashioning some kind of a puller to get it out. Ever tried working on a 6G? When I watched a buddy of mine do a field coil in a 3G, the back popped right off.

I actually have two 3G's for a 4.0 Ranger/Explorer and my factory Mustang alternator sitting around too.......me and my spare parts

Quote: