Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'Rowdy Fitzgerald'
August 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Flit-e' Dave'
August 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions > General Discussions

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. Place posts that don't fit in any other forums here.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
Mac
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT Ext Cab
I use this vehicle for: Beater
Mac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Good things do happen in this great country

What an awesome feel-good story!

Iraq veteran Sgt. Scott Wallace needed a ride ... so Manhattan executive flew him for free

BY James Fanelli
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Saturday, October 16th 2010, 4:00 AM

Wounded Iraq veteran Sgt. Scott Wallace couldn't scrounge up enough cash to cover an airplane ticket from his base in North Carolina to his best friend's wedding in Pennsylvania last weekend.
But a good Samaritan Manhattan executive who moonlights as a pilot flew the young soldier for free.

Gary Illiano, 53, flew his single-engine propeller plane on Oct. 8 from Westchester County Airport to Fayetteville, N.C., to pick up Wallace.

The pair traveled to Allentown, Pa., where Wallace, 23, was the best man at the wedding last Saturday.

"Normally, I'd drive home, but my truck is on its last legs," said Wallace, 23. "I looked at flights and there was no way I could afford that - not on a government check."

Wallace spent 11 months in Iraq. He was wounded on a patrol in 2007, when a sniper's bullet ripped through his body, shattering his shoulder blade, breaking two ribs and damaging his lungs.
He earned a purple heart and another medal for carrying a wounded comrade out of combat while injured himself.

Illiano and Wallace were connected through the nonprofit group Veterans Airlift Command, which matches volunteer pilots with wounded soldiers in need of a lift.

Since its start in 2006, the Minnesota-based group has given 2,736 free flights to wounded veterans from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and their families. It has about 1,500 pilots - 50 from New York State, including 20 from the city.

A partner at accounting firm Grant Thornton LLP, Illiano signed up for the group earlier this year. "It sounded like a good mission," said Illiano, who got his pilot license 11 days after 9/11.

Wallace, who enlisted with the Army's 82nd Airborne Infantry Division when he was 17, was Illiano's first passenger through the program.

"I saw my childhood best friend marry the woman he loves," said a grateful Wallace. I was really glad I was there. If I had missed it, I would have regretted it."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/....html#ixzz12Ze Smp1j

Dave Of the Nord
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 10-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
COPPERHEAD85

Vehicle Year: 85
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: Yard Decoration
COPPERHEAD85 is a name known to allCOPPERHEAD85 is a name known to allCOPPERHEAD85 is a name known to allCOPPERHEAD85 is a name known to allCOPPERHEAD85 is a name known to allCOPPERHEAD85 is a name known to all

Great story Dave...........we need them.
But Beating and Stabbing a Clown...Thats Funny!
COPPERHEAD85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
xnickitynickx

Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: Oldsmobile
Vehicle Model: Cutlass
I use this vehicle for: Daily driver, fun stuff, biding time til my next ranger.
xnickitynickx is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to xnickitynickx

That's the kinda stuff I like to hear. I'm so glad to see so many people willing to help. Besides TRSers
xnickitynickx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:45 PM   #4
Iron Ranger
Run lil' ricer RUN!!

Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Fooling the general public in thinking it's just another ranger..................
Iron Ranger is a jewel in the roughIron Ranger is a jewel in the roughIron Ranger is a jewel in the rough

Wow. That's a prime example of helping an armed forces person in their time of need! I hope to help one out myself someday....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNL writer/comedian
"I'm a forgetful bulimic. I eat great amounts of food, but forget to purge."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Ow. My pride....
SUPPORT THE TROOPS
Free to do anything is not freedom
I'm a Christian. You don't like it? Tough.
The never ending build thread
Iron Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote