Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Old 01-19-2008, 04:06 PM   #1
Broaner

Vehicle Year: 1995, 89
Vehicle Make: Ford, Nissan
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT, 240sx
Broaner is on a distinguished road
Default 351W/ZF/T-Case

So I've got a carbed 351 out of an '81 F250. But its got an auto on it. If I were to use the ZF does the shifter end up in a good location for the stock shift boot? It also has a manual Tcase on it which I understand to be a 1356; is this correct? Its my understanding that Tcase will bolt up to the ZF but the larger size of the case requires clearancing. How will the shifter assembly on that fit? The stock 1354 will not bolt to the ZF; correct? What needs to be done for the speedo situation? I'm just kinda weighing my options here guys. Thanks for any input in advance.
Broaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 01-19-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
wickedwindsor

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Exploer
wickedwindsor is on a distinguished road

The shifter comes out of the trans tunnel forward of the stock ranger location near under the dash. Check to see if it IS a 1356 and not an NP208. If it is an NP208, you are in luck as this should fit with no frame clearancing. I just recently put in a 1356 in my Explorer and moved the tranny mount to the passenger side by 7/8" to give just enough clearance for the xfer case to frame rail. I still ground out the frame a litttle anyway. The speedo arrangement is the same as stock 1354 so that is a bolt on. As far as xfer case shifter location...I used a shifter for an NP208 from an '86 F150 with AOD. This shifter ended up in the lower left side of the removeable trans tunnel plate. I had to cut and re-weld the shifter handle as it was hanging right by my right leg originally.
A lot of work, but not too bad if you can cut and weld. Oh ya, I used a front driveshaft from a '97 up F150 with 4.6 and hydrid ujoint to diff. Rear shaft was shortened by 1.5".
Moral of the story here is, definitely NOT a bolt in swap but very do-able with some patience and sweat.
wickedwindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:28 PM   #3
wickedwindsor

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Model: Exploer
wickedwindsor is on a distinguished road

4 Low

4 High

Drivers POV

No Plate

Tranny Mount moved over 7/8" to make room for 1356
Old 01-20-2008, 08:51 AM   #4
projectnitemare

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
projectnitemare will become famous soon enoughprojectnitemare will become famous soon enough

I will have to get some pictures posted up for you. If you want to use a ZF you either need to install a body lift or fab a new trans tunnel. It will not fit nicely. I put a body lift on and I still had a spot that was pretty tight. You need the engine to sit as low as possible in the frame too. The shifter will need to be modified and the stock ranger boot won't work. It will be pointed toward the dash. I used an NP205 for stregnth and it happens to be smaller than both the NP208 and BW1356. With the NP205 you will need to grind a passage for the shift rail to clear on the tailshaft housing. The stock speedo stuff will work. If you decide to use a ZF it will be in your best interest to install the engine and trans already mated.

Matt
Old 01-23-2008, 12:13 AM   #5
brendank
It's only money...

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: Ranger
brendank is on a distinguished road

I'd really like to see those pics, mainly of the shifter positioning and of how the transmission sits in the tunnel.
14BFF, 5.38's, Detroit, Disc Braked
3" B/L, Dual batteries, 9500lb winch, Bushwacker cutouts
brendank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:50 AM   #6
Broaner

How far up under the dash does the ZF shifter come out? Is it something that is liveable or not really? Interested to see you pics Nitemare.

Is there a list of trucks that the 205 came in?

OT, on a 302,T5 setup where does the shifter come out?
Old 01-23-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
Mac
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT Ext Cab
I use this vehicle for: Beater
Mac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond repute

With the T-5, the shifter comes out about 6-7 back from the stock location.
Dave - two hours North of you.
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #8
projectnitemare

projectnitemare will become famous soon enoughprojectnitemare will become famous soon enough

I will have pics today. The ZF shifter comes out pretty close to the dash. I cut and rewelded the bottom of the shifter where it bolts to the trans to fix this problem. If I didn't 1st, 3rd and 5th wouldn't be used. I forget the exact years of the NP205 but you are pretty much guranteed to see it in a 70's 4x4 Ford. The era is late 60's or so to the early 80's. It's very common but be sure to read the ID tag so you don't get a NP203. They are quite massive. The T5 setup the shifter comes out right in front of the set. 2nd, 4th and reverse will just hit the seat.

Matt
Old 01-24-2008, 12:13 PM   #9
Broaner

Okay cool. Fabbing on the shifter doesn't bother me. What I'm really interested to know is how far forward of the stock console does it protrude from the floor?
Old 01-24-2008, 02:26 PM   #10
projectnitemare

Excuse the mess in there I need to get my wires looking nice yet; I just moved the MSD from the engine bay to the inside. Here are some pics.

Here's 1st gear

Reverse

1st gear top view

Why you need a body lift

Matt