Home Ford Ranger Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum  

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Bulletins (Welcome, News/Announcements, Problems & Submissions) > Submit Info For Technical Articles

Submit Info For Technical Articles Submit all your technical information or stories here to be added to our Technical Library

DO NOT POST TECH QUESTIONS HERE!

Old 09-04-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
disciplerocks
July 2011 OTOTM Winner

Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Bronco II XLT
I use this vehicle for: the rippin and the tearin
disciplerocks is a splendid one to beholddisciplerocks is a splendid one to beholddisciplerocks is a splendid one to beholddisciplerocks is a splendid one to beholddisciplerocks is a splendid one to beholddisciplerocks is a splendid one to beholddisciplerocks is a splendid one to behold
Default How To: Bypass EGR without getting a CEL

I have seen too many threads asking how to do this lately. So here you go. Now I don't have egr on my B2 and I had it deleted from my ecu on the Focus when I installed the supercharger so I couldn't take pictures for you. I Googled a bit and found a couple to help me illustrate.

First, I will not be responsible for anything you do or screw up on your vehicle. Second, if you live in a state that requires inspections, then you probably won't pass if you do this mod. Before you start, be sure to unhook your battery.

Here is a complete egr system illustration I found:

Now the egr system is for one thing and one thing only, emissions. And yes it DOES hurt performance. What the EGR or Exhaust Gas Recirculation, does is let some of your hot exhaust gas back into your intake to be reburned which in turn deprives your motor of clean air. It does this by the DPFE (pictured below) gets pressurized by the exhaust gas and tells the ECU this. Then the ECU tells the actuator to open the valve and let the exhaust back through. The reference port on the actuator tells how much gas is going through.

Now how to bypass it. Refer to the edited picture below. First take the hoses off the DPFE sensor. One of them you need to loop on the exhaust tube to block it off. you only need to do this if you are keeping the EGR system installed. The second you need to run from the left or rear tube (depending on which sensor you have) to the actuator. I am not sure if all these sensors are the same, but it should be the top hose that goes to the actual EGR valve. If your DPFE sensor is bad, then you get a CEL anyway (thanks to holyford86 for reminding me of this).

Now what this does is give a high vacuum to the reference port of the DPFE causing it to never want to open. From this point you can remove the EGR system and block it off or leave it on if you don't mind it. If you decide to remove it, then I suggest going to the junkyard and seeing if you can find a block-off plate from a newer 2.9 like mine. That would be the cheap way or they can be ordered online.

As for the end that goes into the exhaust manifold, I would go down to O'rielly and pick up an oil drain plug. O'rielly has these out in the isle, where Autozone has them behind the counter. Now I don't know what size you will need, but the one I used on my Focus was M22x1.50. Thats should give you a good starting point. And don't mess it up if it doesn't fit. They are expensive and you will want to return it.

Hook your battery back up and you are good to go. And if anyone finds the correct size, PM me and I'll edit my post with the correct info.

Thanks for looking. I don't normally ask for rep, but if this helped you at all, it will be appreciated.
12 Focus SE: Sport & Winter Package, ST Front End
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanD View Post
Ford says (about towing not masterbation) "Don't do that!"

Last edited by disciplerocks; 09-05-2010 at 09:50 AM.
disciplerocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

SPRING ONLINE MAGAZINE!

Check out the latest articles

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
stegomon

Vehicle Year: 1987/1990
Vehicle Make: fords and only
Vehicle Model: ranger
stegomon has a spectacular aura aboutstegomon has a spectacular aura aboutstegomon has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to stegomon

whats the benefit of doing this
Old 09-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
holyford86

Vehicle Year: many
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: DD/ offroad beater
holyford86 will become famous soon enoughholyford86 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to holyford86 Send a message via Yahoo to holyford86 Send a message via Skype™ to holyford86

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegomon View Post
whats the benefit of doing this
I have a friend that tried this, it did not work, CEL stayed illuminated and the fuel mileage was absolutely horrible.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:48 PM   #4
disciplerocks
July 2011 OTOTM Winner

disciplerocks is a splendid one to beholddisciplerocks is a splendid one to beholddisciplerocks is a splendid one to beholddisciplerocks is a splendid one to beholddisciplerocks is a splendid one to beholddisciplerocks is a splendid one to beholddisciplerocks is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyford86 View Post
I have a friend that tried this, it did not work, CEL stayed illuminated and the fuel mileage was absolutely horrible.
Then it was not hooked up correctly. Or the DPFE sensor was bad.
Quote:

Last edited by disciplerocks; 09-05-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
holyford86

Vehicle Year: many
I use this vehicle for: DD/ offroad beater
holyford86 will become famous soon enoughholyford86 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to holyford86 Send a message via Yahoo to holyford86 Send a message via Skype™ to holyford86

Quote:
Originally Posted by disciplerocks View Post
Then it was not hooked up correctly. Or the DPFE sensor was bad.
DPFE was good, almost brand new, and it was hooked up exactly as described in your instructions. once egr got reinstalled the CEL went away and fuel mileage got better. Egr is more than just emissions in some cases, it will help prevent detonation (pinging) at mid rpms.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:09 PM   #6
adsm08
Premium Member

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Making money and being broke.
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

EGR also helps to reduce fuel use at cruising speed. That hot exhaust displaces clean air, which means less fuel needs to go in to maintain the optimum air/fuel ratio. Because it's already hot though it takes less energy to get it expanding. Less energy needed directly translates into less fuel needed.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

When people ask me "what's wrong with you?" I ask them "where would you like me to start?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Sowell
If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization then be prepared to accept barabrism.

Shop manuals
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #7
Ranger44

Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: Explorer
I use this vehicle for: Riding mad max style......
Ranger44 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ranger44

Dude, there is no benefit to going this. NO power gains, NO MPG gains. It's work and time into nothing. If an EGR is clogged or bad, just replace it.

Giddywomp Offroad & Fab
Ranger44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #8
disciplerocks
July 2011 OTOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger44 View Post
Dude, there is no benefit to going this. NO power gains, NO MPG gains. It's work and time into nothing. If an EGR is clogged or bad, just replace it.
I am just providing info since there a dozen threads asking how to do it everytime I get on here. I don't care if you do it or not, thats your choice.
Quote:
Old 09-05-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
Psychopete

Vehicle Year: 1987
I use this vehicle for: Working on
Psychopete is just really nicePsychopete is just really nicePsychopete is just really nicePsychopete is just really nice

88+ computer swap on the 86-87 2.9Ls is probably the route I would go, since they did not have EGR from the factory.
Psychopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:55 PM   #10
disciplerocks
July 2011 OTOTM Winner

^Unless you have a 3.0 or 4.0
Quote: