• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2004 White Gauge Instrument Cluster Swap / Need Info

84convertablegt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just bought a 04 Ranger XLT 4x4. It has the black gauge instrument cluster. I want the white gauge cluster. There are a bunch on ebay. 2 questions???
1.) Will a white gauge cluster from an 04 ranger be a direct swap?
2.)Is the mileage stored in the computer or cluster?

snomaker321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
hmm, i thought i had remembered reading online somewhere that they all had white gauges faces starting in '04. Oh well, maybe it was only the edge/sport ones.

Id imagine itd be a direct swap. not sure about the odometer

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
i think the odod just displays what the computer stores. best way to find out is gettin one lol.
it will be a plug and play swap.

84convertablegt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i think the odod just displays what the computer stores. best way to find out is gettin one lol.
it will be a plug and play swap.
Well, I guess I will report back with my findings. I ordered one last night. The funny thing is they listed them with "mileage" readings on ebay, so Ill be curious to see if it shows the correct mileage or the new odo mileage.

And no they are not all white. Even the FX2 Level 2 has black gauges with aluminum colored trim. I think it's the sport models that had the white gauges. Mine is an XLT.

I'm amazed at how little info is out there about the new style Rangers. I'm used to having a 98-03 ranger where everything you ever wanted to know is a google search away.

snomaker321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
What's New for 2004
All 2004 Ford Rangers get a more aggressive raised hood and a partitioned grille that more closely matches that of other Ford trucks. Inside, seats have been revised to improve comfort, and leather upholstery is a new option. A new leather-wrapped, four-spoke steering wheel is available on some models, as is a floor console. New white-faced gauges are standard on all models, except the base XL. The Tremor model's 510-watt stereo now has MP3 capability, and other models are eligible for a 290-watt Pioneer Sound package with an in-dash CD/MP3 player. Additionally, the Tremor is available with four-wheel drive this year, and the off-road-ready FX4 gets an electronic shift-on-the-fly transfer case. Sixteen-inch aluminum wheels are optional on two-wheel-drive Edge models, and an engine block heater is standard in select states.

Silly Edmunds:dunno:

84convertablegt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What's New for 2004
All 2004 Ford Rangers get a more aggressive raised hood and a partitioned grille that more closely matches that of other Ford trucks. Inside, seats have been revised to improve comfort, and leather upholstery is a new option. A new leather-wrapped, four-spoke steering wheel is available on some models, as is a floor console. New white-faced gauges are standard on all models, except the base XL. The Tremor model's 510-watt stereo now has MP3 capability, and other models are eligible for a 290-watt Pioneer Sound package with an in-dash CD/MP3 player. Additionally, the Tremor is available with four-wheel drive this year, and the off-road-ready FX4 gets an electronic shift-on-the-fly transfer case. Sixteen-inch aluminum wheels are optional on two-wheel-drive Edge models, and an engine block heater is standard in select states.

Silly Edmunds:dunno:
Goes to show you can't believe everything you read. This statement is just plain wrong. Also, in the same paragraph they brag that the FX4 gets shift on the fly 4wd like that hasn't been standard on all 4x4 rangers since the early 90's.

84convertablegt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
UPDATE!
I installed the new white gauge instrument cluster. It came out of another 2004 Ranger. OK, here's the answers to my original questions. They may help someone else.

1.) Will a white gauge cluster from an 04 ranger be a direct swap? YES
2.)Is the mileage stored in the computer or cluster? IT IS STORED IN THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER, NOT THE COMPUTER. SO TO KEEP MILEAGE ACCURATE, YOU WOULD HAVE TO HAVE IT REPROGRAMMED

Everything works great. Plug and play. Here's a picture.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
looks good!!
have u tried to take em apart and see if its a interchangeable part that stores the mileage?

MaGiKaLsHoTs

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(01) / [94] / {
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
[3.0L] | (4.0L) | {5.0L, sas 35 boggers}
Transmission
Automatic
has anyone swapped this gauge cluster into a 2001?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals