• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

90 BII 2.9 to Expo 4.0 - wiring for OD

jeiroq

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I've got a crazy problem going on with my Bronco II. A little back story - 2.9L died on me so I purchased a 4.0 from a 92 Explorer (should've got tranny too but didn't). I had my A4LD from the 90 BII rebuilt and the 4.0 motor rebuilt. Everything in the truck works except horn (not a biggy right now) and overdrive/TCC lockup.

I've been trying to track down wires that could be swapped or whatever the deal is. I was told on another forum that I should check the red wire going to the tranny to make sure it has power first when KOEO, as far as I can tell - it doesn't. I though two wires were crossed (red wire and a purple (or dark blue?)/orange wire, when I checked out the ppl/org wire with KOEO it showed ~12V but when off, there was nothing. I changed those wires around (shouldn't have) and when I take the key from off to on (not start!) the engine starts. So I fixed that back to where it was.

I've found that the 3-4 shift wire should be tan/lt blue from the 2.9 and on the 4.0 it would be org/yel. I don't know what wires went where because my uncle did the wiring without me and doesn't remember what he did now. I'm glad everything else works, but need my overdrive!

If someone could just point me in the direction of even what pins from the big plug through the firewall are supposed to be for the transmission that would help a lot!

I wouldn't be asking for help if I didn't need it. I've researched into this for 20+ hours and can't find anything that really helps.

I have the wiring diagrams showing that it's supposed to be #52 and #53 but I don't know where they are on the plug.

Last edited:

jeiroq

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
27 views and not a single post?

Also - if any of you need any diagrams just let me know. I've got some sources that I could email to you if needed. Just trying to help out whoever might be in need of help.

Last edited:

hoofnit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
On the female plug those are at 2 & 3 o'clock on the center ring of pins...9 & 10 o'clock on the male.....
Mark

jeiroq

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you so much! That's very good to know, I was looking at a wad of wires not really knowing where to go with them.

I think I've found that it might not be in my wiring after all, it could be the shifting solenoid that has gone bad. I traced down my wires and tried to make a switch that I could hit to force the shift and it's not working. My next stop is to see if the PCM is sending the signal to the tranny to try to make the shift, if it is and it's all hooked up correctly (and I verified the wires are all connected and the plug is in on the tranny) then it's the solenoid.

Thanks again.

xlopez74x

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
need help

27 views and not a single post?

Also - if any of you need any diagrams just let me know. I've got some sources that I could email to you if needed. Just trying to help out whoever might be in need of help.
need diagrams to rebuilt automatic transmission 03 ford ranger 3pt liter engine can u help ? thank u for ur time .

xlopez74x

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i need diagrams to rebuild a automatic transmission for a ford ranger 03 . its a 3 point liter engine can u help ? my email is xlopez74x@yahoo.com

jeiroq

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I don't have things like that. I have Ford's diagrams of it all apart and removal and installation of the different parts, but nothing of how to rebuild an automatic transmission. There could be any number of things wrong with it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals