• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

HELP PLEASE.... replaced crank sensor, now no injector pulse

caddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
A week ago I took my 93 2.3l ranger out for a drive i hit a few puddles on the way no big deal at the time, and about 5-10 minutes later the truck started to sputter at idle so I raised the rpm to about 2000 and it sounded fairly smooth then I let off and it started sputtered again, then I clicked the a/c on without thinking, and it died.:shok: I got out of the truck and immmediatly checked the air filter to see if I sucked up water but it was dry, and so was the throttle body, I pulled the dipstick to see if maybe there was some water in the oil, and nothing. So after that I checked to see if there was spark at the coils and there was not. So I towed it back to my apartment with my brothers ranger. That weekend I started to diagnose it and found that I had a bad crank sensor, so I replaced it. And when I tried to crank it up it still will not start. So once again I checked the spark at the coils, and I have spark, so I check to see if there was injector pulse and there is nothing :icon_confused: So I have spark now but no injector pulse but I can smell fuel. ANY IDEAS??? help would be much appreciated because the truck is my daily driver and I love driving it :icon_hornsup:

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Did you use any kind of positioning tool when installing the new crankshaft sensor ?

caddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
no i didnt I marked everything and double checked the timing it was all good, after installation. Im thinkin maybe The camshaft sensor is bad but Im not sure.

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
Check your wiring. You may have an open/short. Take your time and use a meter not a test light!

caddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I know it Ive been using a digital multi-meter FOR SURE lol. But today when I went out to the truck to check it out again I was cranking it and I could smell fuel real bad, so I took the air filter off and I could really smell gas, so I checked out the throttle body and that sucker reeked off gas. So I pulled out a spark plug and there was gas on it. So idk im stumped I have spark, I have air, and apparently I have fuel but it wont start. I need to get this thing fixed quickly this truck is my daily driver.......

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
other option is the timing belt skipping a tooth that would do it

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Dosen't the height of the crank sensor have to be set with the tool it comes with ?

caddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
true I'll check the timing for sure...

caddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
The crank sensor doesnt have an alignment there is 2 bolt hole in it with no adjustment on it. When I bought the new one it didnt come with any sort of alignment tool. Im pretty sure the cam sensor needs an alignment tool for certain models (california models). But I cant even find where the cam sensor is on the truck. I printed out diagrams off alldata looked it up in the book and I did some pokin around, and I still cant find it, all the diagrams that I have say the cmp is near the oil filter on the drivers side of the block but I do not see it on my truck.....

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I bet your right in that its that cam sensor that takes the positioning tool...

The cam shaft position sensor is located on the right side of the head as you are facing the engine hood up.

caddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
thats the same diagram that I have and i looked in those spots and nothin idk what the deal is lol

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Oh its there....
I'll check under the hood in the morning and snap off a photo for you to show the location on my truck. Same engine and year. Mines a 5 speed.

Have you pulled any codes yet ?

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
If you don't have a CA model you don't have a cam sensor. For 93-94 only ca models have the cam sensor. 89-94 federal models have crank sensor only. If there is fuel in the cylinders and it's not firing i'd still suspect a spark problem, or as scott suggested a timing problem causing a lack of compression.

-ps.- Just to be sure you don't have the cam sensor, look under the intrake manifold towards the frot of the block. Pretty much right under the ICM, you'll either see a block off plate in the distributor hole or a cam sensor. That will answer ur question wihtout doubt if you truck is equipt with one or not.--

Last edited:

caddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
ight thanks guys im pickin up a code reader tonight to check em out

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
look on the tech library, you don't need a code reader, just a paperclip and the check engine light...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals