Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Old 01-06-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
cwcnoles03

Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger EXT
cwcnoles03 is on a distinguished road
Default Spun Main Bearing?

So I have a 96 4.0L Ranger. I let my father use it for about a month while I was at school and now there is a loud knocking sound under the hood and I don't think it's even driveable. I haven't tried nor have I put a stethoscope up to it, which from reading other forums, is what I should do? However, what I'm trying to determine is whether or not my dad's prognosis could be viable. He believes that it is a spun main bearing. SO my question is, what does a spun main bearing sound like? And what does a busted rod sound like? This sound is pretty freaking loud, and there's chemical/burning smell upon disengage.

Thanks
cwcnoles03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 01-06-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
Kona
06/2014 OTOTM Winner

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Model: Ranger Super Cab
I use this vehicle for: everything
Kona is on a distinguished road

Contact a oil analysis place, get a sample kit and send a sample back to them. Probably cost $20 - $30 dollars and they can tell what is worn by the metals and chemicals in the oil. Or you can get a mechanic .
Old 01-06-2008, 06:43 PM   #3
MAKG
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Model: Explorer
MAKG will become famous soon enough

Well, one way to tell the difference between a broken rod and a spun main bearing is a cranking compression test. The broken rod will have zero compression....

But there are other possiblities, and an automotive stethoscope really is the right thing to do first. These are cheap.

Kona, how can oil analysis tell which bearings are thrashed? They are all made out of the same material.

1990 VW Jetta GL, 1.8L 8V gasoline engine, manual transmission, painted in oxidized red paint and ponderosa pine sap, unknown mileage.

1991 Exploder, 4.0L, M5OD-R1 manual transmission, electronic BW1354 transfer case, 3.54 gears, 31 inch tires, icky two-tone blue paint with little clear coat, 230K miles.

1972 Chevy C-10, 250 I-6, SM465 (2WD) four-on-the-floor, 3.73 gears in a GM 12-bolt, puke green with a white cab. The "4 wheeled trash can," with x70K miles. x is probably 2.
MAKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
fordwheelinman

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Model: Explorer 4 door
I use this vehicle for: DD
fordwheelinman is on a distinguished road

Drain your oil into a dish pan or some other clean pan. Shine a very bright light into the pan of oil and see if you see sparkles in the oil. Try blowing into the pan slightly and you should be able to tell something right away. If the oil looks like it has glittery material in it, youve wasted a bearing, or more. If youve broken a rod, the whole motor will be shaking like hell when you run it, and you will visibly see it shaking back and forth terribly. A broken rod will result in a massive imbalance in the rotating mass of the engine, thus casing the violent shaking. Hope this is some help......and that MAKG doesnt think im too far off. Im kidding of course.
fordwheelinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:38 PM   #5
Silverado

Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
Silverado is on a distinguished road

From my experience years ago, a busted rod sounds like an angry midget is inside your engine with a sledgehammer having a temper tantrum.

A spun bearing sounded like a rifle being discharged in full auto (I think what you guys call a Class 3) inside the crankcase.

Did that help? LOL