• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to remove the headlight knob in my 93?

LoneRanger93

Reaction score
The headlight knob on my truck does not like to operate the way it should, you have to "jiggle" it a bit to get the lights to come on, Since it's a cheap part I'm thinking it needs to be replaced. How does the dash come off and what holds the knob or switch in place?

Thanks!

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
its been a while...so here goes from memory:

you need to pull the trim peice that surrounds the switch away from the dash...it just clips on. this will gain you access to the actual headlight switch. on the bottom of the switch there is a small metal button, push this and it releases the knob (it may take some wiggling). then just remove the 2 or so bolts holding the switch on and unplug the wiring harness.

LoneRanger93

Reaction score
Ok i got to the knob and the switch, I can't really tell just from inspection if the knob or the switch is bad, should I replace them both or just the switch?

LMCtruck.com sells both the parts for $20 a piece

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The knob has a clip on it. all you have to do is put a pick tool or something similar onto the back of the knob (right next to the shaft) and the knob will slide right off. If you look carefully there is a little square notch that shows you just were to release it.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There is also a botton on the side of the switch that releases the shaft. Pull the shaft all the way out(headlight on position), push the button, then pull the shaft the rest of the way out.

Jon Boy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
check your wiring harness for the switch too i guess i'm about the only one lucky (or unlucky i should say) to have the switch go bad (actually it's the harness making the switch go bad) in all three of my trucks. 4-5 for the 84, 3 last i remembered for the 93 and on my 2nd one for the 91.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
There is no need to replace the knob, I can't even think of anything that would make it go bad. Just get the switch, I think I paid 25 bucks for mine at NAPA.

I am assuming you already got the dash off? If you haven't, be careful of the little clips that hold it on.... I tried taking my dash off (to replace the switch) and broke half of them so I just said screw it, I ripped the other ones off to and just put three black screws in to hold it on. You can't even tell they are there and I think it holds the dash face on better than the clips.

check your wiring harness for the switch too i guess i'm about the only one lucky (or unlucky i should say) to have the switch go bad (actually it's the harness making the switch go bad) in all three of my trucks. 4-5 for the 84, 3 last i remembered for the 93 and on my 2nd one for the 91.
Are you talking about how many light switches you've put in each truck? If so, I wouldn't doubt, fords older light switch designs are kinda funky.
I am on my second, my dad said he can't even remember how many he has had to replace over the years.

Last edited:

LoneRanger93

Reaction score
Well I replaced the switch and if it helps anybody here is how I went about it:

Bought a new headlight switch at autozone for 13 dollars

Unscrewed 2 torx screws for the ashtray and popped off the dash

Unscrewed 2 torx screws for a bracket holding the headlight switch

Popped off the headlight knob by pushing the button on the switch

Unplug old switch and plug in new one

It was quite simple!

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Good deal; hope that it fixed your light problem.

mperry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Unscrewed 2 torx screws for the ashtray and popped off the dash. Unscrewed 2 torx screws for a bracket holding the headlight switch. Popped off the headlight knob by pushing the button on the switch. Unplug old switch and plug in new one.
I had more problems than you, for my 1994 headlight switch. (Mine broke internally and would not pull or push, except with great difficulty; thought the lights would remain on forever.)

1) I disconnected the battery. Set the brake and put the tranny in 1st gear, if you have an automatic. This allows the panel to clear the shifter.
2) Remove the 2 torx screws from the ash tray. Pull out the knob and you'll see a small natch. Use a small screwdriver or pick and lift the clip, to slide the knob off.
3)Use care when unsnapping the gray dash section, because the clips are fragile. (Some of mine were broken off from a previous repair.) Now, there are 2 wiring harnesses attached to this panel, which operate nothing (on my rig). Detach these. With the truck in 1st, the panel will flex enough to allow it to be removed.
4)Thee is a plastic trim ring (behind the knob) that must be unscrewed a couple turns to allow some flex in the switch... if the bracket will not clear the dash. Otherwise you may bend that top tab. Remove the 2 torx screws from the mounting bracket and the switch will come out. Detach the wiring harness and remove the trim ring.
5) Now you are supposed to be able to remove the shaft by pressing a button on the bottom of the switch, Use pliers (not the knob) to get a good grip. Mine would not release, so I bought a replacement knob/shaft, and tossed the knob.
6) The aftermarket shaft is slightly bigger than factory. The trim ring would not slide over the shaft easily. I used a small drill the size of the hole and reamed the trim ring's central hole slightly larger. Otherwise the switch will bind up once installed.
7) Reassemble in reverse order. Use care to insure the switch is centered and the tab is in the mounting bracket slot before tightening.
8) When done, I found the new shaft was about an inch too long. Measure carefully and the shaft can be hacksawed to proper length w/o removing the switch.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Uhm.... You're responding to a post that's over 10 years old. That's not very useful.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals