Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions > General Discussions

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. Place posts that don't fit in any other forums here.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:36 AM   #1
kimcrwbr1

Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: DD tow boat
kimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to all
Default synthetic or not

I put this engine in 5 years ago out of the bone yard and did the duraspark conversion with valve guide seals and she actually holds oil now. Would it be wise to put synthetic oil in a older 2.8 and what type of oil is the best and the best filter. I put about 1500 miles since the conversion and oil change with zero problems and running valvoline 10/30 now with a fram filter.tks Kim
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 03-17-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
strvger

Location: the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for Winter!
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger xl cab, short bed
I use this vehicle for: getting the job done, no matter what that job is.
strvger will become famous soon enoughstrvger will become famous soon enough

there are a number of threads here. all of them rate the Fram as the worst filter you can buy. Motorcraft, Purolator, NAPA Gold, and others all rate much better. think you'll find that the K&N filters aren't worth their price tag.
if you have no leaks, full synthetic should be ok. i always use a semi-synthetic for mine, but i haven't done the valve seals yet (latter this summer for sure!). typically 5W30 for winter and 10W40 for summer driving. i'm thinking of trying the Lucas additive once the valve seals are done. heard lots of good things about it. search for the threads and you should have all the info you need... imho.

"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid"... the Duke
strvger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
exbass94

Vehicle Year: 2006, 1994
Vehicle Model: Ranger, Explorer
I use this vehicle for: Pavement Poundin'
exbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really nice

If you want to use synthetic, go ahead and use it. Don't believe all the myths that it will screw up your engine. It's just oil. But, you need to ask yourself what you're hoping to accomplish by using it. Unless you want to extend your drain intervals, or put a lot of stress on the engine, or drive in extreme temperatures, it's probably not that necessary.

And I do not recommend additives. I wouldn't put that Lucas crap in my lawnmower.
1994 Ford Bronco XLT (project)
exbass94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
kimcrwbr1

Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: DD tow boat
kimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by strvger View Post
there are a number of threads here. all of them rate the Fram as the worst filter you can buy. Motorcraft, Purolator, NAPA Gold, and others all rate much better. think you'll find that the K&N filters aren't worth their price tag.
if you have no leaks, full synthetic should be ok. i always use a semi-synthetic for mine, but i haven't done the valve seals yet (latter this summer for sure!). typically 5W30 for winter and 10W40 for summer driving. i'm thinking of trying the Lucas additive once the valve seals are done. heard lots of good things about it. search for the threads and you should have all the info you need... imho.
Hey thanks I put 10/40 castrol and a motorcraft filter in and am getting around 5-10 lbs more pressure and the power seems better less on the foot feed. I did the duraspark and valve guide seals huge difference on overall performance and I no longer have to wait to start it if someone is by the tail pipe he he (puff of black smoke). The only downfall is I have to get rid of more oil now it actually holds it. But I think I can get used to it
Old 03-17-2010, 05:11 PM   #5
strvger

Location: the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for Winter!
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Ranger xl cab, short bed
I use this vehicle for: getting the job done, no matter what that job is.
strvger will become famous soon enoughstrvger will become famous soon enough

glad to hear it worked out so well for you!

"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid"... the Duke
strvger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:18 PM   #6
Mac
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT Ext Cab
I use this vehicle for: Beater
Mac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond repute

Still wondering just who rates the Fram filter as being bad other than as said a "Lot of threads" say so. Anyone have some actual proof to back up those statements? Seen a lot of statements by some backyard "know-it-all" and in "His oppion, they are junk" just by looking at them.
Dave
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:05 PM   #7
LearjetMinako

Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Work & Daily Driver
LearjetMinako has a spectacular aura aboutLearjetMinako has a spectacular aura aboutLearjetMinako has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
Still wondering just who rates the Fram filter as being bad other than as said a "Lot of threads" say so. Anyone have some actual proof to back up those statements? Seen a lot of statements by some backyard "know-it-all" and in "His oppion, they are junk" just by looking at them.
Dave
Buy one and cut it open. You'll find that Fram uses a cardboard backing to the filter media, which is acceptable to tearing and letting the oil by-pass the filter. Most all other filters use a stamped metal filter media backing. Also, Fram uses less filter media than most others. On their PH8, the media is like 190 sq". While a PureOne or Motorcraft filter is 400 sq". More media for better filteration and longer life.

Now as for Fram motorcycle oil filters. They are actually pretty good and use a stamped metal backing.
Telling your girlfriend that she has small boobs comes at a price
LearjetMinako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:28 PM   #8
JohnnyO
Moderator Emeritus

Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle Model: Sport Trac
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver
JohnnyO is a splendid one to beholdJohnnyO is a splendid one to beholdJohnnyO is a splendid one to beholdJohnnyO is a splendid one to beholdJohnnyO is a splendid one to beholdJohnnyO is a splendid one to beholdJohnnyO is a splendid one to behold

Newer oils have less zinc so as not to contaminate the cats. On an older engine I would say use a diesel-spec oil because they have more zinc, which flat tappet engines like a 2.8 like better. Shell Rotella 5w-40 synthetic is an excellent oil and doesn't cost a lot either. I would use a Motorcraft or NAPA Gold or Wix filter.
"It is not the multitude of ale houses that occasions a general disposition toward drunkenness among the common people; but rather disposition arising from other causes necessarily gives employment to a multitude of ale houses." -- Adam Smith, 1776
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #9
adsm08
EOAH

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Elevenses
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

I run an FL-1A, 4 qts Castrol High Mileage 10-30 conventional, and 1 qt Lucas.

@ Exbass:

I don't usually recommend oil additives either, but in older engines the Lucas is nice. My 2.9 will smoke, chatter, and have low power on 5 qts oil. On the 4:1 Oil/Lucas, good power, no smoke, and even the 2.9 tick goes away, along with the rest of the valve train chatter.

I know that means I have bigger issues, but it works for now, and the 2.9 is getting replaced in a year or two and I can't afford to have it down long enough to tear that far into the engine.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

HELP REPEAL OBAMACARE

HELP REPEAL WASHINGTON DC
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:09 AM   #10
chazzone
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Model: Broncco II
I use this vehicle for: Everything
chazzone will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
Newer oils have less zinc so as not to contaminate the cats. On an older engine I would say use a diesel-spec oil because they have more zinc, which flat tappet engines like a 2.8 like better. Shell Rotella 5w-40 synthetic is an excellent oil and doesn't cost a lot either. I would use a Motorcraft or NAPA Gold or Wix filter.
What he said. Lack of zinc is a real problem with engine life, and especially cams.

Rotella synthetic 5W-40 is simply one of the best oils you can use, and when you consider the price, it may be the best hands down.