Home Ford Ranger Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum  

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Steering

Old 03-14-2010, 09:49 PM   #1
Captain Ledd

Vehicle Year: 1984, 1997
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Rangers
I use this vehicle for: Literally everything.
My credo: If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Captain Ledd is a name known to allCaptain Ledd is a name known to allCaptain Ledd is a name known to allCaptain Ledd is a name known to allCaptain Ledd is a name known to allCaptain Ledd is a name known to all
Default The way I bleed P/S pumps

I have a good mechanic friend that had a particular problem with a noisy Ford P/S pump from one of his teachers. It had been back and forth from the dealer (warranty) and none of them could completely get rid of it. So, he tasked my friend with finding the solution (being he was one of the better students in the class)

After pouring through books on power steering he came across a refrence in a dusty old book in the corner that showed a picture of a vacuum assembly that bled the P/S pump, it mentioned specifically that this needed to be done to the Ford pumps in order to effectively get all the air out of the system.

Here is the picture of our solution:

My Red Ranger had a very whiny power steering pump and so it was the perfect test platform.

The picture had a flat piece of clear polycarbonate with a rubber o-ring on it, it had a very similar hose barb on it though. They also suggested a hand bleeding pump.. HA! We have the vehicles vaccum to do that for us.

How we did it:

We took another P/S cap, drilled a hole in it, and threaded in a hose barb that allowed us to use a hose and just hook it up to the vehicles vacuum system.

We also added a resavuar (I can't get it close enough to the right word for spell check to catch it) to catch any extra fluid that might have been sucked up into the tube (and into the engine). Which it actually did suck a bit up, so it is kind of important.

In the top picture we hooked the vacuum gage to make sure it was still pulling good vacuum.

Even though it had been driving around for.. well years, you wouldn't believe the amount of air it pulled out of there. We had to shut the truck off several times and just let it sit to get rid of all the bubbles. It turned it all into a froth, even though it was fresh fluid. But after that settled down for the most part, we just drove around with it hooked up for a day.

That thing went silent. There's only a tiny, tiny bit of whine when you put your head next to it (which might even have been damage at this point).

We also used regular P/S fluid (which the Ranger takes ATF) and that will supposedly make it run louder.

We did the exact same thing when we replaced his G/F's power steering hose on her Sable. Again, we got that pump silent.

IT WILL RUN LOUDER WHILE THE VACCUM IS HOOKED UP. But do not worry, once you replace the regular cap all will be fine.

We also dropped a magnet into the pump (office eraser sized - 1.25" x .75" or so-ish). There's a screen there so it won't fall in, and that also pulled out a fair amount of crap.

Hopefully this may help some of you quiet that thing down, any questions or comments are welcome.

1984 Ranger - std cab, long bed: The Deathtrap
302; T18; D20 Tcase; 6' lift; 4.56 gears; 33' pro comp MT's; Aussie locked rear
1997 Ranger - std cab, short bed: Red Ranger
2.3L; M50D R1; 2wd; 4.56 gears; Explorer 8.8; ARB locker; 235/75R15 AT's
(soon to undergo 4x4 conversion )

Last edited by Captain Ledd; 03-14-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Captain Ledd is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

SPRING ONLINE MAGAZINE!

Check out the latest articles

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:41 AM   #2
kimcrwbr1

Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: DD tow boat
kimcrwbr1 is a splendid one to beholdkimcrwbr1 is a splendid one to beholdkimcrwbr1 is a splendid one to beholdkimcrwbr1 is a splendid one to beholdkimcrwbr1 is a splendid one to beholdkimcrwbr1 is a splendid one to beholdkimcrwbr1 is a splendid one to behold

Ok so you just pull a vac from the top of the reservor and that pulls the air out of the pump and gearbox is that correct. Mine has whined since I put in the gearbox and pump 5 years ago. Also do you know how to adjust the gearbox properly I did not want to mess with it but it has always been a little sloppy and all the tie rods and ball joints are good. I know getting it too tite is worse than a little loose tks Kim
Old 03-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
Psychopete

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Working on
Psychopete is just really nicePsychopete is just really nicePsychopete is just really nicePsychopete is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ledd View Post
LOL Awesome!
Psychopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:48 PM   #4
Captain Ledd

Vehicle Year: 1984, 1997
Vehicle Model: Rangers
I use this vehicle for: Literally everything.
My credo: If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Captain Ledd is a name known to allCaptain Ledd is a name known to allCaptain Ledd is a name known to allCaptain Ledd is a name known to allCaptain Ledd is a name known to allCaptain Ledd is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcrwbr1 View Post
Ok so you just pull a vac from the top of the reservor and that pulls the air out of the pump and gearbox is that correct. Mine has whined since I put in the gearbox and pump 5 years ago.
It should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcrwbr1 View Post
Also do you know how to adjust the gearbox properly I did not want to mess with it but it has always been a little sloppy and all the tie rods and ball joints are good. I know getting it too tite is worse than a little loose tks Kim
Never messed with adjusting the box, sorry.

1984 Ranger - std cab, long bed: The Deathtrap
302; T18; D20 Tcase; 6' lift; 4.56 gears; 33' pro comp MT's; Aussie locked rear
1997 Ranger - std cab, short bed: Red Ranger
2.3L; M50D R1; 2wd; 4.56 gears; Explorer 8.8; ARB locker; 235/75R15 AT's
(soon to undergo 4x4 conversion )
Captain Ledd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:01 AM   #5
kimcrwbr1

Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: DD tow boat
kimcrwbr1 is a splendid one to beholdkimcrwbr1 is a splendid one to beholdkimcrwbr1 is a splendid one to beholdkimcrwbr1 is a splendid one to beholdkimcrwbr1 is a splendid one to beholdkimcrwbr1 is a splendid one to beholdkimcrwbr1 is a splendid one to behold

looks like a trip to the bone yard for a cap for my pump tks will give it a try
Old 02-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #6
kennykenny

Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Ranger Super Cab
I use this vehicle for: Driving
kennykenny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to kennykenny

I know this is an old thread, but its a good one. I just did this and it worked great, my pump has never been this quiet. This should be submitted to the tech library.
kennykenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:09 PM   #7
Ranger Sport Honduras
Zoom Zoom

Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Mitsubishi/Ford
Vehicle Model: Montero Sport/Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Hauling ass, work, toy
My credo: Fortune Favors the Brave
Ranger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ranger Sport Honduras

this is great. i will deff try it since my pump is fairly new and whines very loud. its annoying
Ranger Militia
Cardomain(All the trucks)
Ranger Sport Honduras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
Boggin

Vehicle Model: 89 bronco ii
I use this vehicle for: going inappropriate places
Boggin is a splendid one to beholdBoggin is a splendid one to beholdBoggin is a splendid one to beholdBoggin is a splendid one to beholdBoggin is a splendid one to beholdBoggin is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Boggin Send a message via MSN to Boggin

so how long does the hose and modified cap have to stay on there for?
05 F250 - 6.0, 6 speed, deleted by RCD, SCT tuned, blue spring, sinister coolant filter, dummy plugs/stand pipes, Atlas 80 ficm, afe intake, 4" turbo back straight to 5" mitre cuts, 6" lift with rear air bags, 35" pro comps
04 Ranger 4.0 4x4 - stock
02 Duramax - afe intake, Super chip, straight pipe
93 W 250 12v cummins - stage 5 fuel pin
Lots of past rbv's
"Dont know how to drive automatic"- Chance. RIP Buddy.
Boggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:24 PM   #9
kennykenny

Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Ranger Super Cab
I use this vehicle for: Driving
kennykenny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to kennykenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggin View Post
so how long does the hose and modified cap have to stay on there for?
Until it quiets down.
kennykenny is offline   Reply With Quote