• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger 4.0 EGR Removing ??

quadtrac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 97 ranger 4.0, and was looking at removing the EGR valve. The reason I wanted to do this is because on the exhaust manifold there is a line that is cut off and just pinched off. Also the fitting on the egr valve is just plugged off to. Would it be fine to just remove the whole EGR valve? If i took it off, how would I plug the line that runs up to the air intake? Thanks

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
get a different intake a not Cali emissions and it wont have that hole get it from a u pull it for like 25$

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
get a different intake a not Cali emissions and it wont have that hole get it from a u pull it for like 25$
Incorrect, all OBD2 4.0's have EGR

AD

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ahh didnt take note of the year thanks allan

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
The correct way to fix it is to replace the egr tube. The only person who carries the egr tube is the dealer...

If you must remove it, know that you will get an annoying check engine light that wont go away, but if you must....

Remove the egr tube, weld a bolt into the exhaust manifold connection to prevent any air from entering the exhaust (will cause false O2 sensor readings). Remove the egr valve and its bracket. You will now have a hole (Im wanting to say 1 3/8, but measure with a caliper first) in your intake manifold. Go to your local autoparts store and get a rubber expansion plug (rubber plug with a bolt to squish the rubber to expand it; should be with all the freeze plugs) and shove it in and tighten it up. Check for vacuum leaks.

Last edited:

dock83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazada
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nice tip but too get rid of the check engine light I hate lights on in the dash for no reason. Pull your dash face and install a peice of black electrical tape over the hole where the light is. problem solved no more annoying light. Great selling feature.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
I have seen one later 4.0 OHV composite intake with no provisions for egr, don't know what year it was because the motor was swapped in but they do exist.

charlie268

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2000 with 4.0 and do not have an egr

SoLongStang9499

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L 245CI
Transmission
Manual
Look around in some junk yards, there are some plastic manifolds with no EGR. I have a 99 with no EGR, i bought the truck this way! It exists

SubwayTrash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Factory Torsion bar almost all the way up same blocks in back
Tire Size
33 12.50 R15

Attachments

Manscout

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.5x15
I removed and mitigated my EGR. I'll post pics a little later today for you. I swapped my '98 engine with a 2000 and mine did not have the EGR either.

Manscout

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.5x15
Sorry it took me so long to get these here. Just connect a piece of hose between the two ports on the DPFE sensor.

Disconnect the green vacuum line from the top of the EGR valve and pull it out of the other end that hooks up by the red vacuum line.

Cut the EGR tube that goes from the intake plenum to the EGR valve. I used a 1/2 bolt with some RTV to seal that.

You can remove the EGR tube from the manifold altogether, or use a block off plate, or simply pinch the end of the EGR tube where it comes out of the valve.

I have no drop in performance, no CEL, and no change in fuel mileage.

1000003447.jpg
20231001_165816.jpg
20231001_170029.jpg
20231001_170058.jpg

SubwayTrash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33 12.50 R15
Manscout,
Thank you very much sir, ( my oldest son's name is Scout) I went ahead and done injectors all new sensors, plugs, wires, gaskets, fluids, ext ext. She had been running ruff for a while now and I just couldn't take it anymore. But I believe my next tune up I'm just going to put the ol V8 in her, I've always wanted to ever sence I was a young lad. Thanks again for your help. Now on to fix the 4x4 vacuum leak!!

SubwayTrash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33 12.50 R15
I have a 97 ranger 4.0, and was looking at removing the EGR valve. The reason I wanted to do this is because on the exhaust manifold there is a line that is cut off and just pinched off. Also the fitting on the egr valve is just plugged off to. Would it be fine to just remove the whole EGR valve? If i took it off, how would I plug the line that runs up to the air intake? Thanks
I have a 98 and I took the whole system out. Made my own plate for EGR, put a screw and a little plastic weld to the line that runs to the intake I have pics that were sent to me I will see if I can post them. Also nothing changed with my truck it still runs as it should.

SubwayTrash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33 12.50 R15
I have a 98 and I took the whole system out. Made my own plate for EGR, put a screw and a little plastic weld to the line that runs to the intake I have pics that were sent to me I will see if I can post them. Also nothing changed with my truck it still runs as it should.
Oh just check out my questions and you can see pic from where I asked. Sorry not to savy on electronics, but I can build you a engine!!!! Lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

XLTsplash
June Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals