Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'MastuhWaffles'
November 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'ATX'
November 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes

Notices

Old 11-26-2007, 05:35 PM   #1
RedRangerSTX

Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger FX4
RedRangerSTX is on a distinguished road
Default '97 Ranger RABS Diagnostic Connector Location

Hello,

I have a '97 Ranger 4.0L 4x4 STX with rear-only anti-lock brakes (RABS). The yellow anti-lock brake light is on in the gauge cluster. If I start the truck with my foot on the brake, the light does not come on until after I take my foot off the pedal. I tried replacing the speed sensor on the rear differential, but this did not make the light go out. I did a little research and supposedly there is a test connection under the dash where I can ground the black/orange wire in order to make the abs light flash a code. I can't seem to find this connector, and was wondering if a '97 is different than a '96 and older setup. I did find what the autozone repair info. website said was an abs test connector on the front of the power distribution block under the hood, which has a red and a green wire going to it. However, I do not know how to activate the light to flash a code with this connector, and didn't want to start blowing fuses by experimenting. Does anyone know if you can get the codes by using this connector? Better yet, does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing the light to come on? If the speed sensor that I replaced was the issue, would the code erase itself, or would it need to be cleared? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
RedRangerSTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 11-26-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
metalmacguyver
Yeah, I built that.

Vehicle Year: 1997, 1994
Vehicle Model: Ranger, F350
I use this vehicle for: Working and Wheeling
metalmacguyver is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to metalmacguyver

the speed sensor should have nothing to do with the abs light. if there is a problem with that, the check engine light comes on.

for the most part the 96 and 97 should be the same. they are both OBD2 so they both have ports under the dash for reading codes.

i dont know about this other port you mention for reading abs codes.

1997 Excab/4.0/5spd/Manual1354/4.88/locked F/R /35"BFG MTs/WarnXD9000i/6"lift/HYDROBOOST!!/Extended radius arms/Wheeling only.
metalmacguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:48 PM   #3
alnvilma

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: Ranger
alnvilma is on a distinguished road

There is a big round connector on the firewall near the clutch, stuck on the wire haness is a little black connector about 2" long and a PITA to disconnect (I broke mine). Ground the orange/black wire with the key on and click it back together. The code will flash.
alnvilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:23 PM   #4
wicked1

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Mazda
Vehicle Model: B4000LE 4.0L V6
wicked1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnvilma View Post
There is a big round connector on the firewall near the clutch, stuck on the wire haness is a little black connector about 2" long and a PITA to disconnect (I broke mine). Ground the orange/black wire with the key on and click it back together. The code will flash.
How do I do this? Do I have to do this? Mine truck is a '94. Is there a special code reader for ABS codes? I would like my red brake light and yellow abs light to go off. They are stuck on permanently. I replaced the sensor in the differential already.
wicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:04 AM   #5
alnvilma

Vehicle Year: 1993
alnvilma is on a distinguished road

My '93 was the same.
I found a used RABS valve (on frame rail) on ebay, cheap. End of lights. works great. Probably your old dirty brake fluid corroded the unit. That stuff really is supposed to be changed!
alnvilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:49 AM   #6
97ranger4x4

Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: going from point A to B and lots of places in between
97ranger4x4 is on a distinguished road

I have my yellow ABS light comming on intermitingly this last week, it sometimes just stays on but today it didnt come on. I will try to find a code by doing the above procedure. Also how can I tell if I have RABS or 4WABS? I also have the ford factory shop manuels and briefly looked though it but without knowing what system or having their special code puller. I tried with my OBD 2 and no codes came through. I figured the brakes had their own code memory. I also noticed that their codes started with a C, rather than P for engine codes.

I am sure I will have more questions...

Keith
3.73 w Open diffs
Warn Hubs
K&N Filter
Flowmaster exhaust
Pioneer stereo
"don't **** with my truck, thats how people die."
"Do I love Rangers? Does a bear shit in the woods?"
97ranger4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:05 PM   #7
cda

Vehicle Year: 1994
cda is on a distinguished road

I'm having an abs warning light issue myself. It's on a 94 4-banger. I have been trying to trouble shoot it with the help of a Chilton's manual and this site but so far no luck.

When I turn the ignition on, my light does a continuous series of 16 short blinks and then one long blink. I believe that I have found the test connector, but even after I ground it, it just continues to blink the same series. Below is a picture of the connector. (can anyone confirm that this is the correct wire?)

ABS test connector

From the abs flash code chart in Chilton’s, it says that “16 or more flashes should not occur”. Well, mine is flashing 16 times and I’ve got no idea why. Anyone have any suggestions for me? I’ll consider just about anything.

Movie of my abs light blinking. (it may take a while to download, it's 3.5 MB)

Thanks
Chris

Last edited by cda; 03-16-2008 at 08:07 PM.
cda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:12 PM   #8
pillen140

Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: dd, weekend off roader. and annoying my girlfriend
pillen140 has much to be proud ofpillen140 has much to be proud ofpillen140 has much to be proud ofpillen140 has much to be proud ofpillen140 has much to be proud ofpillen140 has much to be proud ofpillen140 has much to be proud ofpillen140 has much to be proud ofpillen140 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnvilma View Post
what he is talking about is for OBD-1 systems, they have been obsolet on rangers since 1995. if your truck is '95 or newer, your truck does not have this. your truck is obd-2 and the connector is under the dash by the hood release, and has a little cover. most repair shops have obd2 readers that can read abs codes. the ones that autozone and other cheap ones, do not have the capability to read ABS codes.. most likely your abs sensor up front has attracted enough brake dust to give a false reading (because it is magnetic), or you reluctor ring (what the magnet reads) is missing a fin, the ring is built into your front brake rotor. it could even be a cut wire. and i believe that all 4x4's 1993 and up, have standard 4 wheel abs, and only two wheel drives have just rear.
P.S. check your brake fluid as well

Last edited by pillen140; 03-16-2008 at 08:20 PM.
pillen140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:33 PM   #9
link040188
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger xlt stepside 4dr
I use this vehicle for: ridin' dirty
link040188 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillen140 View Post
and i believe that all 4x4's 1993 and up, have standard 4 wheel abs, and only two wheel drives have just rear.
P.S. check your brake fluid as well
i dont think that is true because i have a 4x4 1994 and i only have rabs
link040188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:17 AM   #10
fixizin

Vehicle Year: 99
Vehicle Make: FoMoCo
Vehicle Model: XL 2-dr ext cab "Sport", vinyl flooring, 7.5diff 3L73, PVHubs=S.O.L.
I use this vehicle for: Sugar Sand Trails
fixizin is on a distinguished road
Question

Yeah, I have a 1999 4x4, and it's RABS too. It may have more to do with the options package and/or trim-level... mine's only XL trim... hand-cranked windows... 5-spd...

... I'm *GLAD* I don't have "real" (complex, all-wheel) ABS... OTOH, I don't live in an area that gets snow or ice, and I drive like a First Worlder, not a Third Worlder...

... Also, my '99 has that 2-wire connecter near the master cylinder/fuse box area... Chilton's doesn't really cover it... as usual.
fixizin is offline   Reply With Quote