• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.13 gears for my new tahrs?

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I got some new meats on the way, 35x12.5R15 Trxus MT's. Stock gears in my 95 are 3.31 according to the door tag, I know with the 31" A/T's on it now she barely holds OD at 55, 35's are going to suck.

I found a guy selling some 5.13 geared axles, 8.8, D44 TTB, think that would be too low? I don't do much highway driving, I get 10 mpg right now no matter what I do. Probably go up with that gear/tire combo :icon_twisted:

He's also selling a 6" lift, doesn't know what brand, when I get pics I will post them and see what you guys think. I was just going to do a body lift and hack the fenders, but a suspension lift would be ideal.

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Holy crap Google is fast, searching for 35 tires 5.13 gears and this came up on the first page of results.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
You shoulda got a 300-6 instead of a 302, lol

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There's always the possibility of a 351W :D

Will I have to do anything with my trans when I do tires and gears? I keep reading stuff on people with auto transmissions their shift points getting screwed up, I've never had an auto before so I have no idea if it's going to get screwed up.

I miss my stick shift :sad:, maybe a 5 speed will be the next mod :D

Oh yeah, my road is water proofed in front of my house. The oil pan on my truck leaks about a quart a week, if I go get these axles and lift kit one of my friends has a new oil pan for me :icon_rofl:

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
lol, we had somethin better than that happen to our one F-350... was dumping a couple ton of stone one day, bed went partway up then there was a pop an the bed went back down... and about 3 gallons of hydro fluid started running from under the truck... sprayed the hell out of the underside when that line blew an that stuff just does not seem to wear off like motor oil.

2fast55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy
Transmission
Automatic
Barely holds OD at 55 now? My 94 has a 300-6, manual tranny, and 3.55 gears, and turns 31s easily. I can tow 2 horses trailered at 65 in 5th and still not have it on the floor. I still only average 10mpg, but I know it would be higher if I could figure out my engine problems.

According to a calculator, I would need 4.10s to turn similar rpms with 35s. 5.13s with 35s should only run ~750rpms higher for highway driving than your current combo, but would make a ton of difference in acceleration.

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Barely holds OD at 55 now? My 94 has a 300-6, manual tranny, and 3.55 gears, and turns 31s easily. I can tow 2 horses trailered at 65 in 5th and still not have it on the floor. I still only average 10mpg, but I know it would be higher if I could figure out my engine problems.

According to a calculator, I would need 4.10s to turn similar rpms with 35s. 5.13s with 35s should only run ~750rpms higher for highway driving than your current combo, but would make a ton of difference in acceleration.
Any slight hill and it wants to kick out of OD, she's relatively gutless right now also. I think with 35's it's going to be pretty bad.

The guy should be sending me pictures tomorrow of the lift, sounds like it has Superrunner steering, will have to wait for the pictures.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Not to bash your truck, but the 5.0L is a poor engine choice for a full size pickup. Even though it's 40 less HP at an RPM that you'll rarely use with either motor, the 4.9L makes a much better engine for normal truck use.

I'd say 5.13s are probably over kill though. I'd go with 4.56 or 4.88 at the most.

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Not to bash your truck, but the 5.0L is a poor engine choice for a full size pickup. Even though it's 40 less HP at an RPM that you'll rarely use with either motor, the 4.9L makes a much better engine for normal truck use.

I'd say 5.13s are probably over kill though. I'd go with 4.56 or 4.88 at the most.
I'm not a fan of the 302 either, it's a pig and doesn't have a whole lot of power.

Two guys at work have trucks I am interested in, a 78 F150 and a 77 F250. I might see what I can do moneywise, maybe pick one of them up. F250 has a Boss V-plow, would come in pretty handy since my snowblower is a pile :icon_twisted:

Not sure if I should keep my 95 if I buy one of them, if I dump off my F150 (just fixed just about everything that was wrong with it, just needs an oil pan but it's not urgent, new u-joints and all new brakes and bearings in the end just got put in last weekend), it would make a good winter runner, but if I sold it she'd pretty much pay for one of the other trucks. I guess I'll have to go take a look at the other two trucks.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
If they're in good shape (no broken teeth/bad bearings) I'd use them. It's better to be over-geared then under-geared in my opinion. The 5.0L is a windy engine much like the 5.3L in newer chevy's, they don't make much (relatively) torque down low so deeper gears will help you out even more then compared to the 300/I6 or the 351W.

If you do a 5 speed, look for a ZF tranny vs. the M5OD-R1 as it's a much beefier tranny.

fordtrucknut77

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yea what ^he said...if your not worried about gas mileage its near impossible to have too much gear especially with an overdrive trans
i mean i know guys running 4.56s in mustangs with a 26 inch tire on the street so i dont think 5.13s with 35s would be bad at all....if you didnt have o/d then yea that would be a different story

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
A lot of times underpowered (or low torque at low rpm) vehicles will benefit from lower ratios as the engine is doing less work revving at say 3k, then lugging at 2k. I get better mileage with 4.56's and 35/37's then I did with 3.73's and 33's. And yes, my speedo was corrected.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm not a fan of the 302 either, it's a pig and doesn't have a whole lot of power.
It is the gears that are killing it... don't judge anything with gearing like that. A 5.8 F-250 with 3.31's was made a fool of a couple years ago on here against a 4.3 Blazer.

My 5.4 is pretty comfy with 3.31's and "oversize" 255/70-16's, but I wouldn't want to go much bigger and plan on pulling anything without changing gears.

kemicalburns

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
not sure where your getting a 3.31 gear for your 95 f150. only gear for that rig for that year was 3.55's stock and 4.10s as an option. there should be a tag on your rear diff, post those numbers

with 35's and that 5.0 i would run at least 4.88's. 5.13's would be good if you plan on going to a taller tire like 37's but at that point you should be looking into an SAS and a sterling 10.25 rear diff. You will need to program your psom for the proper size tire your running. this will require going to the tire manufacturers website and getting specific info about the tires to make the right config on the psom. fullsizebronco.com has a great writeup on how to perform this task properly.

good luck

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
not sure where your getting a 3.31 gear for your 95 f150. only gear for that rig for that year was 3.55's stock and 4.10s as an option. there should be a tag on your rear diff, post those numbers

with 35's and that 5.0 i would run at least 4.88's. 5.13's would be good if you plan on going to a taller tire like 37's but at that point you should be looking into an SAS and a sterling 10.25 rear diff. You will need to program your psom for the proper size tire your running. this will require going to the tire manufacturers website and getting specific info about the tires to make the right config on the psom. fullsizebronco.com has a great writeup on how to perform this task properly.

good luck
Axle code on the door tag is 17, everything I can find says 3.31. Whether or not it is, they're still way too high.

Supposed to be getting our bonus at work today, we'll see what it is when I go in in a few minutes. If it's as bad as I'm thinking (profit sharing, supposed to make up for our wage cut, my ass), I might end up waiting until mid winter to put my new tires on.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals