Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Old 07-04-2009, 07:22 AM   #1
Jim Oaks
Building another truck

Vehicle Year: 1983 & 1996
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Dedicated trail rig!
My credo: Happy wife, happy life.
Jim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need V-8 Swap Articles

Hey guys,

We need some V-8 swap articles for our tech library.

We need a write-up from someone who has done a swap on a 98+ and newer Ranger. We need both a 4.6 and 5.0 article with emphasis on wiring and any required conversion parts to help give our readers some guidance.

Thanks.

Vote For TRS In Top 4x4 Sites
Jim Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 07-05-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
Mac
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT Ext Cab
I use this vehicle for: Beater
Mac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond repute

Jim,
There is a very good write up in the tech library on using the Explorer 5.0 motor in the later Rangers. It needs a little tweaking to explain maybe why that's the motor to use. Main problem I have seen is that the newcomers are not used to using the tech sections, usually it's all there. Maybe at the top of the V-8 section, in bold letters, CHECK HERE FIRST IF YOU HAVE A '98' AND NEWER RANGER and have that link there. GregR is the only one I know of that has done the 4.6 swap into a later Ranger.
Dave
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:56 PM   #3
Jim Oaks
Building another truck

Vehicle Year: 1983 & 1996
I use this vehicle for: Dedicated trail rig!
My credo: Happy wife, happy life.
Jim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I put that article together, but we can always use more info. We don't have any 4.6 articles.

Vote For TRS In Top 4x4 Sites
Jim Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:36 PM   #4
TOPDOG2007
August 2010 STOTM

Vehicle Year: 1996
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver
TOPDOG2007 is on a distinguished road

I am interested in seeing more info on doing the 93-97 Ranger..Explorer 5.0 swap. Especially on wiring the factory explorer harness with the Ranger and why its supposed to be a nightmare.
TOPDOG2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:19 PM   #5
TomB1269

Vehicle Year: 2002, 2005, & 2
Vehicle Make: All Fords
Vehicle Model: Ranger Edge '02, Freestar '06 & The newest '05 F150 FX4 SCrew
I use this vehicle for: Original Daily Driver/New DD
TomB1269 is on a distinguished road

Gents, I have scoward the net for OBDII V-8 swaps in the ranger, as I have an 02 and would love more power, and every thing seems to stop as soon as the Explore went 4.6. I have heard there are other streetable issues with the 4.6, as in Ford did not make a compact truck with one so it will not pass emissions due to the fact that the engine is not a OEM option in this class of vehicle, and you have to have model year or newer more, never mind PATS issues, ECM and cluster problems.
TomB1269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:40 PM   #6
jimmy3970

Vehicle Year: 85
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: Car Cruises & Car Shows
jimmy3970 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy3970

I'm doing a v8 swap in my 85 ford ranger next month & I will show pix's when it is done.
jimmy3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:01 AM   #7
MudSlanger

MudSlanger is on a distinguished road

Ill probably have a fully detailed 5.0L swap forum posted probably in the next few months.

Im swapping a 99 explorer 5.0L 2wd auto in to my 00 ranger 3.0L 4wd auto.. I will be keeping my ranger transfer case so i dont have to build new driveshafts. There is also an adapter kit that will transform my 4R70W 2wd tranny into a 4wd that my ranger transfer case can bolt up to. No other modifications will be needed to my knowledge except having my exhaust redone and the PATS system reprogramed through the FORD dealership. Ill probably go ahead and buy the torque monster headers for better mpg's and a little more horses Other than that the motor will be pretty much stock. Ill be using the Explorer motor mounts since they will all fit in the ranger. The radiator part will probably give me the biggest issue as to I really dont know what kind i want yet. I heard the 4.0 ones are good BUT require modification.. 5.0L one works and i do believe thats a direct bolt in. dont quote me on that. Im retaining all emissions and AC because this will be my daily driver. Ive been doing a ton of research on this topic and pretty much i think i have it all down. Now im waiting on the guy to pull the motor and all the parts i need to make this swap work and ill be set.

Ill have plenty of pictures of the process.

The 99 explorer(8 cyl) and 00 ranger(6cyl) have a lot of similarities when it comes to electronics. Both vehicles use type B in the PATS system, also they both use a returnless fuel system, and both read vehicle speed through the VSS/ABS from the rear axle. So this swap should be fairly PLUG AND PLAY. I think i read somewhere ill need to adjust my wiring for the AC but ill figure that out once i get the motor running. Also have to swap a wire for the tach and pretty much should be the only thing ill have to mess with electrical wise. WHEW thank goodness lol

PS: Jim i bought that Advance Adapters 9 inch AOD to 1350 kit from this site to start things off Cant wait to get it and take lots of pics of it lol

Last edited by MudSlanger; 07-24-2009 at 02:09 AM.
MudSlanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
4.6stranger

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: daily driving street fun
4.6stranger is on a distinguished road

Any updates on the OBD II 4.6 swap? I swaped a 1996 OBD II mustang 4.6 and t-45 into a 1994 2wd Ranger I might be able to find some pictures and do a little write up if anyone is interested.
4.6stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
onehotpocket

Vehicle Year: 2002
onehotpocket is on a distinguished road

I'm actually inthe process of doing this right now. I have a 2000 ranger that had a 2.5 in it and a 351w out of a van that's going into it. I'll be sure to take pictures And let you guys know what sort of difficulties I run into. I know this isn't the exact explored swap you're thinking of, but ithink it'll be interesting none the less. I've yet to see some documentation of a 351w in a 98+ ranger.

thanks, Dave
onehotpocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:02 PM   #10
Spowerback
Banned

Vehicle Year: 2010
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGER
I use this vehicle for: DD
Spowerback is an unknown quantity at this point

302 cid or 351w 460 or later choice 342ci minus or v6 3.0L-4.0L bbk supercharged 8psi

Last edited by Spowerback; 02-19-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Spowerback is offline   Reply With Quote