• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Odd staring problem and idles rough?

JohnBoy1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I jsut picked up a 92 3.0 auto that makes a odd whirring or whinning noise when u turn the key to run, if u dont wait till it stops the truck wont fire up or sometimes it wont start at all for a few. Its intermettent but its aggravating, it also has a rough idle but runs great anything above idle. Ive put a new coil on,fuel filter and fuel pump relay. Any ideas?:icon_confused:

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When you turn the key to Run, the fuel pump runs for 2 seconds to pressurize the system. Soounds like your pressure is bleeding off.

Try turning the key to Run two or three times before you crank it. If it starts reliably, you either have a bad fuel pump (it has an integral checkvalve that fails - very common), a seeping/leaking fuel line connection (fuel filter is a common place) or a stuck open/leaking fuel injector (not that common).

I ALWAYS wait for the FP to run/stop before I crank, on everything I drive. Good habit with fuel injection.

JohnBoy1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I wish it was only about 2seconds, its more like 10 or 15 seconds waiting on it to stop so it will run.

JohnBoy1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ran a fuel pressure test and it pushed 30 psi running and 42 with the line undone from the regulator. Im guessing its not the pump and regulator.:icon_confused:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals