• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

any tips on bleeding hydrolic clutch

showoff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
does anyone have any tips on bleeding the clutch? i have done it before and it took me hours and hours. any ideas would be great.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Instructions:

1. The Hydraulic system should be bled to remove all the air whenever air enters the system. This occurs if the fluid level has been allowed to fall so low that air has been drawn into the clutch master cylinder. Under normal circumstances, air should not enter the system when the quick disconnect hydraulic line fittings have been disconnected. The procedure is very similar to bleeding a brake system, but depends mainly on gravity, rather than the pumping action of the pedal, for the bleeding effect.

2. Fill the master cylinder to the top with new brake fluid conforming to DOT 3 or DOT 4 specifications. Caution: Do not re-use any of the fluid coming from the system during the bleeding operation and don't use fluid from which has been inside an open container for an extended period of time.

3. Raise the vehicle and place it securely on jack stands or drive it securely up on ramps (whichever method you chose) to gain access to the bleeder valve, which is located on the top left side of the bellhousing (See Illustration 1-1 below). Try to keep the truck as level as possible. Caution: Don't forget to chock the rear wheels and set parking brake for extra safety...

4. Remove the dust cap which fits over the bleeder valve and push a length of clear plastic hose over the valve. Place the other end of the hose into a clear container.

5. Open the bleeder valve. Fluid will run from the clutch master cylinder, down the hydraulic line, into the release cylinder (the Slave Cylinder) and out through the clear plastic tube. Let the fluid run out until it is free of bubbles.
Note: Don't let the fluid level drop too low in the clutch master cylinder, or air will be drawn into the hydraulic line and the whole process will have to be started over.

6. Close the bleeder valve.

7. Open the bleeder valve and have an assistant slowly depress the clutch pedal allowing fluid to flow through the clear plastic hose. When the clutch pedal is almost to the floor, close the bleeder valve and have the assistant release the pedal.

8. Slowly press the pedal five times, waiting two (2) seconds each time the pedal is released. When releasing the pedal on this step, release it fast. This tends to help suck fluid down the stream and aid in faster bubble reduction.

9. Fill the fluid reservoir to the top.

10. The clutch should now be completely bled. If it isn't, (indicated by failure to disengage completely, and a soft or no pedal), repeat steps 5 through 9.

11. Continue this process until all air is evacuated from the system, indicated by a solid stream of fluid being ejected from the bleeder valve each time with no air bubbles in the hose or container.

12. Install the dust cap and lower the vehicle. Check carefully for proper operation before placing vehicle in normal service. Check the fluid level.

Note: If you can NOT get fluid out of the bleeder screw, then the internal check valve in your clutch master cylinder may be stuck, or you haven't bleed the system for at least 30 minutes. You will either have to use a different bleed technique, or replace the clutch master cylinder. Bleeding a Ranger clutch system takes time and patience. One small mistake / loss of patience / or shortcut, and you'll have to start all over.
from the tech library. a similar technique is described in most repair manuals

GBINKSTER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Help!

THIS is from the haynes manual.
But it doesnt always work
Air is traped in the master cylinder because of the angle. I changed my clutch and slave and have been trying to bleed the thing for 4 days. Im sooooo tired. I even bought a vacuum pump, which worked a little, but it does not seem to get the air from that friggin master cylinder. I heard you have to unbolt the master and turn it upside down, then try to bleed.

Please help cause i need my truck to get back so i continue making money to eat.

pwrrng

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
same here!!!!!! two weeks for me....

wvcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I bled mine last night. The only way I could get the air out was by removing the master and slipping it back thru the firewall enough for the hose end to be uphill so it wouldn't air lock in the master. Took a little longer but it worked. Clutch feels great.
John

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
^ That's what works for me, holding the unmounted master verticle to bleed it. It's easy to remove the driver's wheelwell liner to get the room to work.

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Although it's obvious that you didn't search, I'll still help you out, because this is a common problem. The more times this gets posted, the less times I'll have to answer it. Cut and pasted from another thread:

1. Put the master in the truck after being bench bled. Hook up all the lines, but don't bolt it to the firewall or hook up the pedal

2. Make sure the reservoir is full, and tilt the master so that the part of it that is closest to the front of the truck is as high in the air as you can get it. The rear portion that you can see from in the cab should be down as far as possible.

3. Clamp a set of vice grips onto the rod, and have a second person firmly hold the master sturdy and at the desired angle from the engine compartment.

4. Get a third person to crawl under the truck and get him/her to follow proper bleed procedure while you manually pump the master cylinder. This should be just like bleeding the brakes. The second person, who is under the hood, should monitor the fluid level.

Using this method, it doesn't take more than a minute or two to see results. Get the third person to close the bleed valve, and then try to press the rod into the master cylinder. You'll be able to tell when its properly bled.

joshyddog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l v6/4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
Any one know the size of the bleeder valve? Trying to open it but i don't have any small wrenches. 2005 ford ranger

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It's either 7/16 or 9/16. Can't remember.

joshyddog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l v6/4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The best way to do it is to not have the parts in the truck so you can turn the whole thing upside down.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
i think the bleeder screw on my slave cyl is 5/16" or 8mm.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals