• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project Du - Deconstruction / Reconstruction (56k Beware)

du510

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
MAZDA
Transmission
Manual
So I've collected a couple of parts to install this weekend:
- SJ 6" Coils (To swap with my RC 4" coils)
- SJ 6" Leafs (to swap with my stock leafs, 4" RC block)
- SJ Sway Bar End Links (to swap with stock links)

The front went pretty smoothly - I did it last minute so I was alone... I am running with 4" drop brackets so I had to compress the springs pretty tightly to get them in. Drivers side went in easy, passenger side was a f'ing PITA. Does anyone else notice SO much less articulation on the passenger side? It was unbelieveable. The sway bar end links - if anyone gets them just be careful, gotta cut the bushing the bottom end shorter to fit.

So I ran outta daylight (big storm, got dark early) so I saved the rear springs for Sunday. No big deal, get it all disconnected. Plan was to swap out my stock + 4" RC lift blocks for the NO blocks, and the springs with a shackle. Well comes time to disconnect at the front hanger, and I see the massive crack. Just plain unsafe to drive, youll see the picture below. It was widening anytime there was pressure on it, to about 1/4". The passenger side is starting to rust away too, so Ill just fix em both. Plan is to get the hangers from FORD and after some grinding & rivet-punching, install the new ones. Also, the rear hanger area on the frame is starting to rust away, so I am going to fab up a gusset for those.

I dunno when Ill be able to get to it, but Ill post up some pics of that when I do. Enjoy the photos.

Some of the parts:

A pre-work, as-is photo...

Feeling Disconnected...

Compare & Contrast...

Back Together

Looks Good, right?

Old on the left, new on the Right

Enough blocks to build an adobe

Oh shit..

As she sits right now..

The drivers side hangar, cut away

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
yeah, those things have a habbit of rusting out. good thing you found it before it put a hole in your bed. they are not to expensive either. looks good!

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
:icon_welder::agree: looks really nice, nice truck:woot:

aj1493

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
looks like a sweet rig

chico4554

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
shoulda put them axle drop brackets in when you had the coils out. Its much easier. And when you do put the coils in, take the sway bars off, and step on the hub. You can get plenty of room to slide the coils in after that.

chico4554

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
is that your shop? If so, thats nice!!

du510

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
MAZDA
Transmission
Manual
shoulda put them axle drop brackets in when you had the coils out. Its much easier. And when you do put the coils in, take the sway bars off, and step on the hub. You can get plenty of room to slide the coils in after that.
I wanna paint em red first :drool:

But I did have the sways disconnected, and still the issues?!?! The drivers side was AOK, no issues really. But the passenger side was 100% a different story.

chico4554

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thats odd, did u try to step on the hub?

du510

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
MAZDA
Transmission
Manual
thats odd, did u try to step on the hub?
Yea - very strange
everything was disconnected
i was standing, in the air, on the hub

all i can think is that the radius arm held it back, nothing else should have...

chico4554

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that is odd, i had pretty much the same setup when i put those coils in, and had plenty of room. maybe my radius arm bushings were more worn out, so it flexed more. who knows.

du510

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
MAZDA
Transmission
Manual
Quick update here...

This weekend I am hopefully finishing putting it back together, at least the rear. Ive got the following parts, also:

- Duff Traction Bar (they sent me two I am hoping a combination of parts will work for me
- Skyjacker Shocks, all around
- Skyjacker steering stabilizer
- Skyjacker double-front shock kit

It was like christmas today:

du510

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
MAZDA
Transmission
Manual
A little deconstruction / reconstruction today...

Started off on the passenger side, grindin away at the stock front hanger. Took some time but no issues. Then moved on to measuring/cutting some steel to use as a gusset on the inner side of the frame, inside where the rear leaf spring handers bolt in (The frame is starting to rust away under the hanger plate). Got that all squared away, then started to put things together when we ran outta daylight.

Couple issues:

- The Duff traction bar doesn't fit flush with the ubolt top plate. Ive got 2 sets (they sent me the wrong ones) and neither fit. Pretty upset about that.

- I am trying to go without using stock blocks (ie: have the springs sit on the pad, no block), but the damn ubolts dont have enough thread. May have to have the stock blocks in there, in the end.

aint it a beauty!

old rivet versus new Grade 8

a little torch work

almost-finished product

So tomorrow, I am hoping to bang out the driver side nice & quick, hoping for an early start!

JFA_Spyderman

Law Enforcement
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Yo,
you diddnt have the old shocks connected when you tried to fit the new coils in, did you? My guess is that you were hitting the end of the shocks to get the new coils in.

The only reason i mention it is because we were pulling coils out and i couldnt figure out why this coil wouldnt come out. The shock was maxed out.

du510

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
MAZDA
Transmission
Manual
Yo,
you diddnt have the old shocks connected when you tried to fit the new coils in, did you? My guess is that you were hitting the end of the shocks to get the new coils in.

The only reason i mention it is because we were pulling coils out and i couldnt figure out why this coil wouldnt come out. The shock was maxed out.
Glad to see I am not the only one still up thinkin trucks at this hour of the night.

Nope, the shock was disconnected. That got me the first time I took apart the front end, but now I've done it 3-4 times. :icon_welder:

Edit: NM, I see youre out west. Its a bit earlier for ya.

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
How much was that leaf spring hanger? My 94 needs one and I'm terrified to call Ford to hear the price LOL

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals