• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Seafoam: Spray into throttle body vs. inject to PCVV

Otto

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I have a bad feeling about just dumping pure combustible liquid into my intake system. lol Would it not be better off sprayed directly into the throttle body using a spray bottle??

Just a small concern before I give it a try. Also, if anyones had any bad experiences using seafoam, i.e screwed o-rings, damaged injectors etc let me know!!

edit: Also, is it absolutely necessary to change the oil after using seafoam in the oil case?

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
It's fine, the worst it will do is flood out the motor if you pour in too much.

I have never heard of bad experiences but have never heard of it actually doing anything, either. I dumped some in my oil a while back to see if it would get rid of a stuck lifter but it didn't do anything. Personally I think anything like this is a waste of money.

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've ran Seafoam in both my 99 Ranger with the 3.0 and my 92 Ranger with the 2.9L. I did notice the 3.0L SEEMED to idle a lot smoother after the Seafoam was ran through it. The 2.9L didn't really do anything except give a really nice smoke show out the exhaust.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I've followed the instructions on the can and sucked it in through a vac line. Did it on my choptop one day, let it suck in a lil at a time till the can was about empty then let it suck in as much as it could till the truck stalled (dumped half the can in my gas tank before I did that). Let it sit a good 15-20 minutes then fired it up. Noticed a lil smoke out the exhaust but that was about it... till I left the house I was at a couple hours later, when I pulled out the drive an got on the gas... VIOLA! instant midnight behind me... lol. I had lots of very black smoke flowing out my tailpipe for about a mile before it pretty much completely tapered off. I'd hate to think with all that smoke that it didn't do anything...

Tried it on my Ranger but didn't get much in the way of smoke out of it.

Otto

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I'd hate to think all the smoke was just burning seafoam and doing squat to clear out the engine for sure..

I'll giver a go. As long as it's relatively cheap, like under 10$ a bottle and probably pass on using it in the oil crank case cause I juust changed it.

Any more tips/reviews would be most appreciated!

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I've heard that a cup of ATF in your oil will help clean out oil passages an such... I did it on my Ranger when I was switching from dino oil to synthetic. I've been afraid to do it on my BIIs cuz I don't want them to start leaking any more than they already are out the valve cover gaskets, lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals