• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wohlf 16's 99 Ranger build

wohlf 16

Banned
Solid Axle Swap
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My first truck was an 88 toyota 4x4 5speed with the 22re. But my first truck that was actually mine was a 99 ranger 4.0 5speed 4x4. This is the history of my 99 and how i kind of fell into a project.

Started off stock with 110,000 miles on it.

Body lift and 33 12.50 Buckshots

2 inch blocks torsion crank 33 12.50 wildcat all terrains

Guy ran a red light and t-boned me. Ran over them and flipped on my side. Totalled

This is when the solid axle swap was decided on. I got a set of dana 44s off of an 89 Grand Wagoneer. Started cutting and havent stopped for about 7 months straight. Progress is slow but I figured I would put what Ive got done so far and add to it later. Any advice or comments are welcomed.

Because it was totalled I had to get it running so I could get a salvage title which was a joke. Advice for people doing a rebuild DONT DO TOO MUCH! The least amount you have to do to get it driving the better. The only things they check are vin numbers on body parts and any major components ex. engine, trans, etc. Some stuff I did to get it going after the wreck.
Rhino lined floor

replaced doors

and fender

The dana 44s

cutting

Nissan box:annoyed: Prolly gonna use a toyota box if I can find one, but this is all the yard had at the time.

My tires and rims Im going with. 15/38.5/15 boggers on 15x10 aluminum

Got a lot more but need to figure out the best way to load pics on here. Should have my 6 inch superlift chevy springs for the front any day now and already have everything for the 63 inch chevy swap in the rear. Have crossmember welded on and hope to have the pinion angle set and the front sitting on its own in a couple weeks. Wanted it to be done for my wedding on june 20th but its not lookin good. Oh well let me know what you think and i will try to update it as much as possible.

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
I did the 63 swap on my 00 along with a D44 front.

You might not get as much lift as they say you will.

I'm runnin mine with an extended shackle, SOA, and a 4" block and netted about 4 packs of Malboro 100's worth of lift. (Standing up that is)

That leaves me 14" between my 35s and fender. But that's also with the 3" body lift.

So, that's my 2 cents

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Have you gotten your PS box mounted yet.

At one point I used one from a 79 bronco. Same look and design as the one you're using. I couldn't mate my steering shaft to the box cause the ranger engine bay is so fuckin short. I maxed out the little U joints in the shaft. I then went to a box from an 84 ford van, and had to mount it tilted a tad bit.

Good luck and looks good

wohlf 16

Banned
Solid Axle Swap
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Havent put the box on yet, I was wanting to get the axle under there so that I would have a better idea of where it should be. Prolly gonna use a toyota box since thats what Ive heard a lot of 98+ are having luck with.

Im planning on soa, 2 inch chevy drop shackles and 2 inch blocks in the rear, but that all depends on how the front sits. I do have a body lift on it but now your makin me wonder. I had it all mocked up with a set of leaves I had arched 6 inches from the junk yard. Looked like plenty of lift for the 38's on the front. Didnt like the springs I got (3inch wide) so I cut everything off and waiting on fed ex to stop being pussies and deliver my damn 6in superlift leaf springs. Little bit of snow here in ohio and no one knows how to drive.

Try to keep this thing updated and get some pics of how she is now.

wohlf 16

Banned
Solid Axle Swap
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got some stuff done. Just tacked it on. Checking if everything is in line.

Last edited:

liljoe0985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slowwwwwwwwwww
Transmission
Automatic
gonna keep an eye on this...searchin for parts for my 2000 sas right now, nice work so far!

FordMan016

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
big bad 3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
nice work so far, but the guy running the light if it was me well... the guy would totallted just like the truck was lets leave it at that loll

wohlf 16

Banned
Solid Axle Swap
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Believe me the guy that hit me was in much worse shape then me. He was driving a neon and actually went under me. He and his passenger (neither could speak english) were taken to the hospital and the driver was issued a ticket. I actually climbed out of my passenger door and was out of my truck before anybody was there to help. I dont think they were hurt badly but Im pretty sure that little neon bit the dust.
Anyways Ive done a few changes to that setup but i need to get pics. Hopefully tomorrow I should have them on here. I put a piece of 3X2 square tubing under the hanger to level out the front of the spring with the back and also moved it back like an 1/8 of an inch. If I can convince myself to weld it on solid, I might have the front sitting on its own weight in a couple of weeks.

wohlf 16

Banned
Solid Axle Swap
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got a few things done tonight.

Welded the front crossmember and hangers pretty solid.

Havent welded the rear hangers on tight yet. Wanted to see what you guys think about the way it moves when weight is applied. I just used a jack its not what the entire weight of the truck.
no weight

weight applied

Decided to keep the 8.8 for now. I added 5 lug to 6 lug adapters to keep the front and rear the same bolt pattern. Plus I freakin like these rims I got! And I really liked the price. 100 bucks!

Thats all I got for now. Hopefully get some more done on Friday.

Have to throw in a couple pics of my daily driver too.

liljoe0985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slowwwwwwwwwww
Transmission
Automatic
Damn man!!! I need to hurry up and find me my d44!!! lol Looks good man

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I would HIGHLYYY suggest using a longer shackle, or even just use the last hole on the ones you have. Your flex is going to be very limited with that short of a shackle.

Other than that, it is looking good!

wohlf 16

Banned
Solid Axle Swap
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had originally used the bottom hole but it made a hellacious difference in the level of the spring. I didnt like the way it seated on the perch. Need to try out some more things to see if I like it or not
I took the pinion shim off the superlift springs and I think Im gonna use it on the rear.
Havent even lifted the rear yet but putting those boggers on it made the bottom of the truck to the place where I almost have to lift my leg over my head to reach the floor of the truck. By the way Im 6'2"!
Thanks for the comments guys and i hope to continue to make progress.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
I mean this in as nice of a way as possible and no disrespect: That cross member looks pretty awful.
Square tube on it's side is not a good method for lowering the hangers. I don't really see why you couldn't tuck the hanger up closer to the main frame and increase your approach angle. I realize that the pinion angle might not be that great, but there are different sizes and styles of springs that might be offset of otherwise offer a solution.

Yet another reason I prefer coils & linked systems.

Lifted96Shortbox

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
sick build man. got a 99 im sasing. gave me a lot of ideas. keep it going

wohlf 16

Banned
Solid Axle Swap
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Im not taking any offense to your comment Johnny. I actually wished I would have done coils after I had started. I figure this is my first project Ever! Got to start somewhere. I do plan on bracing the hangers better to the crossmember before it is all said and done. As for the crossmember itself its pretty much a part of the truck now. Its a piece of 4x4 that my friend cut a notch the width of the frame on each side and 2 inches into it.

As for the flexing part yeah its cool to see how far you can put a tire up a ramp but Im more into the mud scene. Live in Ohio and we dont have a great deal of rocks but people are crazy about mud.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals