Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'Kona'
June 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Dazzlin' Dave'
June 2014 MTOTM

Old 01-12-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
PANTERA

Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger Reg cab 4X4
PANTERA is on a distinguished road
Default RABS valve question

Found an OEM valve on e-Bay for about 30 bucks w/ shipping. However, it's listed as a Brake skid control valve for a 1989 Ranger/BII. Would this fit on a 1992? He said to check the dealer for applications, but all they said was that the part number listed on e-Bay was different than the one listed for the 1992. The seller also said that it was a rear ABS valve. I just cant afford paying 130 or so bucks for one at an auto store. Thanks
PANTERA is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
rurouni20xx

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Everything
rurouni20xx is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to rurouni20xx
Default reply

go ahead and spend the 130 bux on the new one, the plugs are dif and the 1992 is like mine on the 1993 that fits the eec 4 fuel injected trk and is wired dif to accomodate the the newer fuel injection, the 89 used obd1 fi and the abs system is more primitive on that model, fewer wires going to it and its not as "smart" as the newer one. what type probs are you having out of your trk that you need to change the rabs valve?
i had a prob w/ my light coming on on occasion and my brake line was rubbing against the gas tank and blew the line out, if your losing brake fluid and think its the valve check that line first, i ended up routing my line all the way around the gas tank to keep it from happening cuz it happened 4 times and i got tired of fixing the crap. and if your thinking about changing it cuz the front wheels lock up its cuz they only installed the abs on the rear wheels, meaning the front will lock up anyway (stupid design in my opinion but thats how it works) and i also had a problem of the mil lamp throwing a code saying the vavle was bad when in reality it was a fuse from where my tail light wire was pinched and blew the fuse and if you look at the wiring diagram thats the fuse for all your lights and the rabs module so if its a mil lamp check the other things listed in the wiring diagram in your trusty haynes manual first, brake troubles have plagued me on my trk for yrs so i got rather knowledgable on them real quick, hope i helped you.
rurouni20xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:40 PM   #3
MAKG
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Model: Explorer
MAKG will become famous soon enough

Jeez, write sentences. I can't parse that at all.

EVERY Ranger is either EEC-IV or EEC-V. That's a glowing-red-hot herring.

As long as both vehicles are RABS (not 4-wheel ABS), it should work fine. But BEWARE. Most used RABS valves are plugged solid with rust and will do exactly the same thing as a 50 cent brake line plug -- no rear brakes and slipping front brakes.

1990 VW Jetta GL, 1.8L 8V gasoline engine, manual transmission, painted in oxidized red paint and ponderosa pine sap, unknown mileage.

1991 Exploder, 4.0L, M5OD-R1 manual transmission, electronic BW1354 transfer case, 3.54 gears, 31 inch tires, icky two-tone blue paint with little clear coat, 230K miles.

1972 Chevy C-10, 250 I-6, SM465 (2WD) four-on-the-floor, 3.73 gears in a GM 12-bolt, puke green with a white cab. The "4 wheeled trash can," with x70K miles. x is probably 2.
MAKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
cocoasranger

Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Model: Ranger
cocoasranger is on a distinguished road

Guys, I checked and they have two "rear brake skid control valves" listed on Ebay presently, both new in the box. The low priced one has the description

You are bidding on one new OE Ford brake skid control valve, part number F4UZ-2B373-A. It fits 1994 Ford E150, E250 and E350 with rear abs brakes only. Buyer to pay actual shipping. Payment due withn 10 days of auction ending by paypal, cashiers check or money order. All sales final, any questions ask before bidding. Thanks for looking!

Hope this sheds some light on the issue.
89 Ranger 4wd std. cab, long bed w. 2.9L and Mazda M5OD R-1 trans. Manual 13-50 transfer case, 10 clutch and starter upgrade. Manual locking hubs, explorer leaf spring upgrade, 93-94 clutch master upgrade for better feel.
cocoasranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
MAKG
RBV Technical Advisor

You're aware that those are for full size vans, right? I wouldn't expect interchange. Maybe from an Aerostar.

1990 VW Jetta GL, 1.8L 8V gasoline engine, manual transmission, painted in oxidized red paint and ponderosa pine sap, unknown mileage.

1991 Exploder, 4.0L, M5OD-R1 manual transmission, electronic BW1354 transfer case, 3.54 gears, 31 inch tires, icky two-tone blue paint with little clear coat, 230K miles.

1972 Chevy C-10, 250 I-6, SM465 (2WD) four-on-the-floor, 3.73 gears in a GM 12-bolt, puke green with a white cab. The "4 wheeled trash can," with x70K miles. x is probably 2.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
cocoasranger

Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Model: Ranger
cocoasranger is on a distinguished road

Thanks MAKG. That's why I posted the auction info so someone with your expertise could make that call. If I had the vehicle it fits I'd be tempted to snap it up as a spare since they are so pricey.
89 Ranger 4wd std. cab, long bed w. 2.9L and Mazda M5OD R-1 trans. Manual 13-50 transfer case, 10 clutch and starter upgrade. Manual locking hubs, explorer leaf spring upgrade, 93-94 clutch master upgrade for better feel.
cocoasranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #7
PANTERA

Here's what my situation is guys,
I start the old goat up, drive it and I can count about 3 or 4 brake applications before the Rear Anti-lock and the brake light both light up, and after that, every time I come to a stop, the rear brakes lock up at around 5 mph, which has me to believe that the RABS valve is somehow stuck in an open position as I read somewhere in a previous post. As I looked underneath, I noticed that the rear brake line was severely corroded but no leaks, and the RABS valve was very corroded as well. I had a couple of offers (thanks guys) on a used Valve, but then I noticed that the pic of the valve out of this one guys 91 Ranger looked identical to the N.O.S. valve for a 89 Ranger listed on e-Bay for about $30 shipping included. So I'm taking a chance with that one. BTW, he has one more listed on e-Bay if anyones interested. Sorry for being long winded.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:17 PM   #8
bobbywalter
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGERISH SORT OF THING
I use this vehicle for: EVERTHING
bobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to behold

i would throw it away unless your manually running it for burn outs.

never like the rabs...didnt think it worked good enough to put money into it..

the oval 4 prongs are all the same too iirc.
88 ranger ext cab low rider 4x4 propelled by 395 cubes of of non turbo SLOBBERIN DIESEL...BLAHHH...motating a 4l80 thats AUTHORITATIVELY turnin a ford 208 spinning 410 open dana 60s and whatever tire suits the mood that day. how ya like me now?
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:25 AM   #9
MAKG
RBV Technical Advisor

There is more to RABS than the valve. There is a (lengthy) procedure for diagnosing it. See the Ford chassis service manual, or the Mitchell book (try the library).

Old 01-16-2009, 03:22 PM   #10
PANTERA

What else should I be looking for? Something electrical? Speed sensor? I surfed all the previous threads in the brakes section, and could only pinpoint it to the Rabs valve.
Seems like people aren't a big fan of the RABS system and I'm beginning to see why! Lol.
Anyhow, seeing that my rear brake line looks like it came out of the Titanic, I gotta change that out so for $30 I figured I'd chance it and put that N.O.S. valve in and see if that is (hopefully) the cause, if not then...