Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'Rowdy Fitzgerald'
August 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Flit-e' Dave'
August 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Engine & Transmission Forums > Transmissions

Old 10-05-2007, 08:44 PM   #1
the pirate

Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
the pirate is on a distinguished road
Default 96 for ranger shifter removal HELL.

4 cylinder FI

4 gear with overdrive and a reverse.

2 wd

I am currently trying to remove the shifter from my wife’s 96 ford ranger so I can drop the transmission and replace the clutch system. Easy right? NOT! The freaking shifter is held on by the oddest bolt ever. It is a threaded rod that screws in on one side and seems to be cammed in on the other and has a nut on it. I have tried everything I can think of to try and get this POS off. All the repair manuals I can find say “simply remove the bolt and pull shifter up and off”. Nothing specific about the bolt. More than one manual has said see figure x.x only to have figure x.x be missing! The other manuals don’t have a picture just a non fitting description. I really need to get this truck back on the road ASAP. Please help if you can. I need some ideas here.

Thanks.

Last edited by the pirate; 10-05-2007 at 09:24 PM.
the pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 10-05-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
pimtool
OTOTM Winner

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: explorer
I use this vehicle for: wheeling
pimtool is on a distinguished road

Look down further, there is 3 or 4 little torx bit bolts holding a little plate onto the transmission. Remember to fill the hole with a rag or something to keep crap out of the tranny.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:12 PM   #3
racsan

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: ranger s/c
I use this vehicle for: gitten' it done!
racsan has a spectacular aura aboutracsan has a spectacular aura aboutracsan has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via ICQ to racsan Send a message via AIM to racsan Send a message via Yahoo to racsan

the nut comes off that "bolt", threads on to the other end and pulls the stud out of the cast shifter partway, its like a tapered cam. yes you also can remove those 3 torx bolts and pull the stub assy with the shift lever together.
________
honey oil

Last edited by racsan; 01-27-2011 at 11:55 AM.
racsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:48 AM   #4
AllanD
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1987... sorta
Vehicle Model: Ranger Supercab
I use this vehicle for: Roadtrip Warrior
AllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to behold

The problem is that once the THREE little bolts are pulled and the stub lever out it is all too easy to INCORRECTLY re-install it.

AD
AllanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
the pirate

thanks for the help. The main threaded shaft was STUCK. So I removed the 3 torx bolts. I was sure to mark the alignment of the plate for proper reinstalation. All this is to get the tranny out for a clutch replacement. The question now is this.

What is the easiest way to get the last 2 bolts off of the top of the tranny? I can get to one with a wrench however the other is rather well hidden under and behinde the intake manifold.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:57 PM   #6
Hardwareman

Vehicle Year: 1995
Hardwareman is on a distinguished road

Yep, I use a wrench or what ever i can fit in there. The two top bolts are definitely the hardest but after that the tranny comes out relatively easy.

Allen
31" Rubber (Remington Right Now)
Thrush Turbo Muffler
4" RC Lift w/6" SJ Coils
Overbuilt's better then underbuilt. After a 12 pack of beer and a dare from your best friend.
Hardwareman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:54 AM   #7
the pirate

Well I found this thread-

http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...ead.php?t=3192

Going to try the tilt the engine down and attack them at an oblique angle. These puppies are on factory style so I have had no luck with a wrench from the top. They are in to hard. No room for a breaker bar and not in the mood to bust my knuckles if I try to apply the R strength.

I am so used to working on Air-cooled VWs. It has been a very long time since I did ant work on a newer car. I forgot what a pain newer cars can be.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:52 PM   #8
Rocky Ranger

Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: Ranger
Vehicle Model: XLT regular cab
I use this vehicle for: Everything!
Rocky Ranger is on a distinguished road

try a 24" extension on you ratchet and a swivel socket. Pulling the crossmember out and like you said let the engine tilt down will help.
When you go to reinstall the tranny, you might have the same problem I did, that the trany doesnt want to go in the last 3/4" and you might need to draw it in with the bolts. I had every thing installed right, but it seems to be a force fit. I ended up getting a tranny jack cause my son and myself couldn't get in by hand.
"The pain newer cars can be" You can say that again
Old 11-11-2007, 10:43 PM   #9
rboyer

Vehicle Year: 1994
rboyer is on a distinguished road

24" extention works great, just don't apply too much torque against it unless you make sure the extention stays straight on the bolt the whole time! With the crossmember removed and the tranny tilted down, it is prettymuch a straight shot with a long extention. I've found that an impact gun works great if they're not too stuck, but the only problem is that you lose some torque throughout the length of the socket extention which makes an otherwise easily removable bolt feel like it's not going to budge.
rboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 02:42 PM   #10
racsan

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: ranger s/c
I use this vehicle for: gitten' it done!
racsan has a spectacular aura aboutracsan has a spectacular aura aboutracsan has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via ICQ to racsan Send a message via AIM to racsan Send a message via Yahoo to racsan

thats the route i had to take, remove crossmember, lower back of engine/trans, and use a long extention and long-handled 3/8" ratchet. worst part for me was getting the transfer case to seperate from the trans, the steel dowl was rusted in the aluminum case at both ends.
________
ipad guides

Last edited by racsan; 01-27-2011 at 12:00 PM.
racsan is offline   Reply With Quote