Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'MastuhWaffles'
November 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'ATX'
November 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. Place posts that don't fit in any other forums here.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:49 AM   #1
brwntom

Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: RANGER
Vehicle Model: XLT
I use this vehicle for: FUN & WORK
brwntom is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to brwntom
Lightbulb Clutch?

I have a few questions about my clutch. #1 the clutch peddle grabs at about 2 inches from the top, how much clutch life do you say i have left? #2 The main rear seal leaks a little bit. Every once in a while i smell a little burning oil (i believe from this) how big of a job is it to replace it? & is it worth replacing the clutch and possibly the slave cylinder at the same time? is it something I can do in a weekend? or possible afternoon?
brwntom is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 12-24-2008, 12:55 AM   #2
Bryan22

Vehicle Year: 94 extd
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: fun, dd.
Bryan22 is on a distinguished road

can't really tell about clutch life through a hydraulic pedal. How many miles on the clutch? When you pull the tranny inspect the clutch/pressure plate/bearings and you'll know for sure.

A weekend is no problem if you have the parts. If you're experienced you can do it in like 4-5 hrs.

I'm sure othere people on here will say how they've done it in 1 hour or something, but just take your time and do it right. Give yourself the whole weekend to make sure you have time in case something else comes up. Better to do it right the first time than the second.

Last edited by Bryan22; 12-24-2008 at 12:59 AM.
Bryan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:08 AM   #3
Destroyer000
January 2009 STOTM Winner

Vehicle Year: 1995 1999
Vehicle Make: Ford Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger 4x4
I use this vehicle for: work, dd, trail, race
Destroyer000 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Destroyer000

its definitely something you can do in a weekend.. i highly recommend changing the slave while you change the clutch since their internal an its one less thing you have to worry about down the road. its hard to tell with a hydraulic system. as stated how many miles are on it?

99 4x4 converted to 5 spd SOHC swap k/n intake avm hubs, 32 bfg on dc1s, ohc, sport trac leather seats/console 4 inch super lift 01 front end swap power dome hood
Destroyer000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:15 AM   #4
86ford

Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: Exploder
I use this vehicle for: creating a need for a larger broken parts bin
86ford is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 86ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan22 View Post
If you're experienced you can do it in like 4-5 hrs.
i HATE everyone on this site that does not have to deal with rust.

if you live in a very rust prone area like i do, plan on a FULL day even if you are skilled.

86ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:10 AM   #5
martin

Vehicle Year: 1984 1991
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: b2 explorer
martin is just really nicemartin is just really nicemartin is just really nicemartin is just really nice

If you live in the rust belt you can run into all manner of unforseen issues. Mainly things that will either not come apart or sheer as soon as you show them a wrench.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:29 AM   #6
ForOffRoadDriving

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Model: RANGER
I use this vehicle for: EVERYTHING A RANGER CAN DO, AND LOTS OF THINGS IT SHOULDN'T
ForOffRoadDriving has a spectacular aura aboutForOffRoadDriving has a spectacular aura about

its not a bad job to do in a weekend. make sure you got an extra pair of hands when you take the trans out and when you put it back in. as mentioned before, if you have the funds, replace the slave cylinder with the clutch because you will save yourself alot of grief by guaranteeing that you have new parts and you wont have to do this procedure again in 500 miles. as for the rear main seal, im not sure on the 2.5l if you need to drop the pan to replace this or if you can pick it out of there with the trans out and then pop in a new one. but if you arent going to fix the seal then dont bother dropping the trans to replace your clutch becuase youll just be oil soaking a new clutch disc.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:30 PM   #7
LearjetMinako

Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Work & Daily Driver
LearjetMinako has a spectacular aura aboutLearjetMinako has a spectacular aura aboutLearjetMinako has a spectacular aura about

The rear main seal is just a press fit. Just take a screw, tap it in, screw a few threads and pull the seal out. Then algin and tap the new seal in.

My suggestion is to replace everything in the bellhousing. No sensing in going back in for something later.
Telling your girlfriend that she has small boobs comes at a price
LearjetMinako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:09 AM   #8
Bryan22

Vehicle Year: 94 extd
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: fun, dd.
Bryan22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86ford View Post
i HATE everyone on this site that does not have to deal with rust.

if you live in a very rust prone area like i do, plan on a FULL day even if you are skilled.

haha sorry 86, I live in cali. Even still my 92 was at the beach for about 10 years of it's life, so damn rusty that the door was about ready to fall off. still all the tranny bolts came right out. The 2 up top were a royal pain but they came out. Couldn't get the exhaust off so i just pulled the flywheel and slid the tranny back just enough to replace everything while it was up there.
Like I said though give it a full weekend incase of unforseen problems.
Bryan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:54 AM   #9
ForOffRoadDriving

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Model: RANGER
I use this vehicle for: EVERYTHING A RANGER CAN DO, AND LOTS OF THINGS IT SHOULDN'T
ForOffRoadDriving has a spectacular aura aboutForOffRoadDriving has a spectacular aura about

yep, those upper bolts are a pain. when i did my 2.3l i thought it was a struggle, but ford left me even less room on my 3.0l. if everything goes smooth and i dont have too many extra hands trying to help/ distract me by asking what do you want me to do next, i can do the procedure in about 3-4 hours depending on how close i can get the trans to motor alignment on the first try. i wish i had a hoist, but two ramp stands and a creeper leave just enough room to get under and still be avle to slide the trans out form under the rocker panel.