Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'Kona'
June 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Dazzlin' Dave'
June 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions > General Discussions

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. Place posts that don't fit in any other forums here.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:09 PM   #1
v-8power

Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
v-8power is a splendid one to beholdv-8power is a splendid one to beholdv-8power is a splendid one to beholdv-8power is a splendid one to beholdv-8power is a splendid one to beholdv-8power is a splendid one to behold
Default Ford 8N starting problems

I have a 8n tractor with the original 6V positive ground electrical system. The problem is it won't crank over unless it's jump started. The battery, acording to my tester shows it has 8V. If I Put the battery charger on it set at 6V it'll start but if I am in a hurry i put it at 12V.

This battery is only about a yr. old. Is there any way it could be anything but the battery? Solenoid maybe? Any help is appreciated.

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 11-04-2008, 01:19 PM   #2
Captain Ledd

Vehicle Year: 1984, 1997
Vehicle Model: Rangers
I use this vehicle for: Literally everything.
Captain Ledd is just really niceCaptain Ledd is just really niceCaptain Ledd is just really niceCaptain Ledd is just really niceCaptain Ledd is just really nice

well, 12v into a 6v system (at least from what I've been told) is kinda bad for the electrical system, too much of a difference or something. It's the AMPs that are what you're after.

It does sound like a bad battery from the symptoms, there is likely a bad ground somewhere that is slowly draining the battery, or the Generator has stopped putting enough current out to charge the battery (but enough to run the engine, had a Cavalier alternator with that issue)

Most solenoids I've seen when they go bad have just stopped working all together.

I'd check to see how much current the generator is producing and examine all the wires for wear as a start for the diagnosis.

1984 Ranger - std cab, long bed: The Deathtrap
302; T18; D20 Tcase; 6' lift; 4.56 gears; 33' pro comp MT's; Aussie locked rear
1997 Ranger - std cab, short bed: Red Ranger
2.3L; M50D R1; 2wd; 4.56 gears; Explorer 8.8; ARB locker; 235/75R15 AT's
(soon to undergo 4x4 conversion )
Captain Ledd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:49 PM   #3
martin

Vehicle Year: 1984 1991
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: b2 explorer
martin is just really nicemartin is just really nicemartin is just really nicemartin is just really nice

sounds like a flat or bad battery. Stress test the battery.
martin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
v-8power

v-8power is a splendid one to beholdv-8power is a splendid one to beholdv-8power is a splendid one to beholdv-8power is a splendid one to beholdv-8power is a splendid one to beholdv-8power is a splendid one to behold

Thanks, i'll check it out tonight.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:01 PM   #5
v-8power

The generator is putting out 7.4volts. I think i'll put a 8volt battery in it this weekend and see how that works for awhile. I have a friend who is a rep for interstate he can get me one cheap.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:11 PM   #6
85_Ranger4x4
December 2013 OTOTM

Vehicle Year: 1985
I use this vehicle for: A weapon of massive consumption.
85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future

Without lights it shouldn't require much juice at all to run it. You should get more than a couple starts before the battery is flat, if it goes down fast you have problems elsewhere.

I would look into a 12v conversion, 8v is a bandaid. 6v requires everything to be almost perfect to work right and is a pain for a working tractor.

Build Thread

We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about. Charles Kingsley (1819-75)
85_Ranger4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:28 PM   #7
metalmacguyver
Yeah, I built that.

Vehicle Year: 1997, 1994
Vehicle Model: Ranger, F350
I use this vehicle for: Working and Wheeling
metalmacguyver is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to metalmacguyver

Go throught the system and clean all the connections.

Could the battery have frozen perhaps? It would take exposure to extremely cold tempuratures to kill it, not just below 32F or 0C.

Since you can still start it, its not the solenoid. I would lean towards a bad connection. I had a bad ground on my starter. It would start first time when cold but after that it would not start. I would have to wait a couple hours to try to start it again or I would have to smack the starter with a hammer to make it get a better connection again.

1997 Excab/4.0/5spd/Manual1354/4.88/locked F/R /35"BFG MTs/WarnXD9000i/6"lift/HYDROBOOST!!/Extended radius arms/Wheeling only.
metalmacguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:00 PM   #8
Simple_serf

Simple_serf is on a distinguished road

There is nothing wrong with a good working 6v positive ground system. I have a 6v system working on an old standby generator... Still works just fine... You just have to do a little more maintenance from time to time (keep the connections clean)

Clean the crap out of all the connections... If it has an open mechanical start switch (I can't remember, it's been a long time since I worked on an 8n), clean it and hit the contacts with steel wool. Then test the battery, if that checks ok, check the starter.

Don't do the 8v system, You'll just kill everything else in the electrical system sooner.

Make certain that all of your cables and connections are good before anything else!!
Paul Johnson
KC2TOO
Simple_serf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:06 PM   #9
dennis461

Vehicle Year: 1996 1991
Vehicle Make: Ford Jeep
Vehicle Model: Ranger Supercab Cherokee
I use this vehicle for: My son's daily driver now.
dennis461 is on a distinguished road
Default Don't burn up the rest of the stuff...

You said the battery is one year old.
Do you mean, you bought it one year ago?
If it sat on the shelf for four years because no one needed a 6 volt, then the battery is no good.
Get your interstate guy to get you a 6 volt battery and try it before you burn up the starter using an 8 volt, or burn up the 6 volt generator trying to recharge an 8 volt battery.
dennis461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:28 PM   #10
Captain Ledd

Vehicle Year: 1984, 1997
Vehicle Model: Rangers
I use this vehicle for: Literally everything.
Captain Ledd is just really niceCaptain Ledd is just really niceCaptain Ledd is just really niceCaptain Ledd is just really niceCaptain Ledd is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-8power View Post
The generator is putting out 7.4volts. I think i'll put a 8volt battery in it this weekend and see how that works for awhile. I have a friend who is a rep for interstate he can get me one cheap.
Yep, Generator is working fine, no issues there.

It's looking more towards a shady connection like the others mentioned.

1984 Ranger - std cab, long bed: The Deathtrap
302; T18; D20 Tcase; 6' lift; 4.56 gears; 33' pro comp MT's; Aussie locked rear
1997 Ranger - std cab, short bed: Red Ranger
2.3L; M50D R1; 2wd; 4.56 gears; Explorer 8.8; ARB locker; 235/75R15 AT's
(soon to undergo 4x4 conversion )
Captain Ledd is offline   Reply With Quote