• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

pinned from old how to 4.9L (300) Inline 6 Swap...yes..4.9..

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
from wanderer:

ok..from front to back..top to bottom...

2in body lift is a MUST!!

rad needs moved to middle of core support (4in forward..otherwise WAY too tight..about 1in of clearance with 4.0 extra cooling rad and stock location..no fan..stock single.double core rad would fit in stock location with the fan off and about 1 3/4in clearance)
stock 2.9 or 2.8 mounts with the alignment pin cround off..fit perfect..
stock smog and ac bracket on motor removed to clear frame rails and steering box.
hood needs latch assembly cut from underside to make room for hood..about 2in deep from flat cection of the hood to stock retainer hole..

exaust..can re-use stock manifolds and exaust..exaust needs cut and rewelded to fit..(till I can get it to a shop and get it made custom)
oil pan n
firewall takes a MAJOR HIT...heater box removed for EFI..cut along indent of firewall and remove..make "doghouse": style cover that gives you 2in more of inward clearance.

oil pan driverside front of the sump needs a little dent for clearing the TTB35 pass arm end bracket.

M5od tranny fits..shifter needs adjusment..custom tranny crossmember..used F150 master for clutch..cut hole next to brake booster at firewall seam..perfect fit..reused stock ranger clutchpedal.

BW13254 t-case..cannot use with stock saddle tank..front of tank skidplate needs removed..notch lower frame rail 1/2in deep 3in long for front output case..driveshafts lengthened..front Radius arm brackte in the way..cut section where front shaft will pass through..weld in a driveshaft loop for support of bracket crossmember and for retaining of driveshaft during a failure..

more updated as I run into it..

more from him;;

pixs...

http://community.webshots.com/album/180514103CXkwWA

..more updated pix tommorow..

Ferris Bueller

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'd like to see a picture of a 300 in any Ranger. That motor is long and would need everything but lube to fit in there.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
WOOOOWWWW.... that looks like way more hassle than what its worth.... but it will be unique im sure!

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
its been done a few times now.......

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
if you could ever get enough traction to keep the wheels from slipping the tourque of a 300 would probly brake a axle or u-joint somewhere.
________
gm foods

Last edited:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you could ever get enough traction to keep the wheels from slipping the tourque of a 300 would probly brake a axle or u-joint somewhere.
Yeah, that neck snapping 222ft# can really be a handful.

Attachments

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, that neck snapping 222ft# can really be a handful.
I am sure a 300 with a single barrel carb is on everyones wish list too. That one is pretty sad, only makes 4 more hp than my 2.8 :rolleyes: On the plus side that 222 is at 1500 rpm, which is pretty low.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am sure a 300 with a single barrel carb is on everyones wish list too. That one is pretty sad, only makes 4 more hp than my 2.8 :rolleyes: On the plus side that 222 is at 1500 rpm, which is pretty low.
Yeah and it makes it's 222ft# only 400rpm lower than the 4.0 does--1,600 vs. 2,000--and then goes into the toilet. The 300 is making 175ft# at 3,400 and the pushrod 4.0 is making 220ft# still and the SOHC is doing about 235ft#.

300-6 is pretty good for idling around the barnyard but it won't accelerate a load very well. It gives you a decent goose when you push the pedal, then it falls on it's ass. Either 4.0 keeps the torque going to the end of the powerband so you can actually accelerate onto the highway decently while pulling a trailer.

And because it annoys people, I'll post my favorite Honda 3.5 VTEC curve. Little aluminum no torque high rever piece of shit makes 90% of what the torque monster 300-6 makes at it's torque peak and at it's hp peak when the 300-6 is at 175, it's pulling 240ft#. Then it keeps pulling for another few thousand rpm with the torque peaking at 250ft# and then falling all the way down to 220ft# at the limiter.

It's a good motor, but it belongs in town. A 100hp full-size pickup isn't really useful to me.

Attachments

Last edited:

Wanderer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
well a Jet engine makes ALOT more power...but I aint seen anyone put jet engine OR a Vtech into a ranger...:annoyed:

it was kinda a "what can ya do with stock components" build...

oh...and your not taking into account lowering the torque curve with the gearing...it was PERFECT for wheelin...

oh...and as for 300 not being able to move a load....: I hauled the same loads with my 4.9 as my 460...both did a great job....

thanks for your info on the vtechs though:icon_thumby:

choped84

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
3 84's, 1 85
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.8L / 300 I6
Transmission
Manual
i just got done putting a 300I6 in my BII and it wasnt that bad. i did build new front frame rails though because mine were wrecked and swaped in a dana 44 front and a 9" rear

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals