Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'Kona'
June 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Dazzlin' Dave'
June 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > TRS Photo & Video Galleries > Your Garage > Off-Road Rangers Under Construction

Off-Road Rangers Under Construction Share your off-road Ranger projects here so we can follow the progress.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:39 PM   #1
crawlin91

Vehicle Year: 92
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: running stuff over
crawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud of
Default Crawlin's Build Thread

Here is a recent photo of the truck. I am going onto stage II of this build including one ton axles, doubler, 4.0 swap, and exo

1991 ex. cab 2.9 5spd stock. Plans include 33" tires, warn manual hubs, 5.5" superlift with hybrid(explorer/ranger)leaf springs, single piece driveshaft, 4.56 gears, 8.8 with some kind of locker, and eventually bumpers and sliders..........

So far just been collecting parts for the project.
Complete D35 with brand new Yukon 4.56 gears! 8.8 no gears or carrier...both from a 94 explorer.

That diff cover on the 8.8 is a TrickFlow...which is aluminum I think, should I get something more beefy or even a stock cover?

Last edited by crawlin91; 04-24-2011 at 01:47 AM.
crawlin91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 07-30-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
Ranger44

Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: Explorer
I use this vehicle for: Riding mad max style......
Ranger44 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ranger44

Get those axles under there!

Giddywomp Offroad & Fab
Ranger44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
crawlin91

crawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud of

But wait steering knuckles were modded to be able to run Heim joints for the steering ends.

Which after running it by a few guys on the site found out that it can be very bad especially if not done properly.....

MAKG "As I understand it, they tolerate a much larger angle. But get dirty and require replacing more often. You don't really need a much larger angle on the steering unless you've thoroughly thrashed the steering geometry. Most of what people do to modify their steering qualifies as mind-numbingly stupid -- steering geometry has to follow axle geometry, and modifications very often don't. Not having seen the linkage on this axle, I can't say if this does. But I don't see where heims are EVER actually necessary for anything approaching sensible angles. Now, for extended radius arms, sure. One would get much better travel from that than from compressing a bushing."

Ok. So do I swap over the pumpkin or steering knuckles? Im thinking steering knuckles but what do you think? Both axles are in good shape (my d35 on the truck and the new one with 4.56 gears) The one in the photo also has brand new bushings, disks, warn hubs, calipers and pads.

Last edited by crawlin91; 07-30-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
JohnnyU
"Outlaw"

Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle Make: Chevrolet
Vehicle Model: Trailblazer SS
JohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond repute

Get rid of that nasty rigged chit. The stock TREs will be more than sufficient.

I'll never understand what possess people to do half of the dumb things they do....

Earth Resin Offroad
JohnnyU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
4x4junkie
Mall-Rated

Vehicle Year: 1990,1994
Vehicle Model: Bronco II, Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Crawling over things
4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all

Heims mounted in double-shear (like how those mounts are set up) will be way stronger than standard TREs. This is great when blasting through the desert at high speed and you unintentionally slide into a berm or something.
Problem is... they wear at a MUCH faster rate than TREs, so you'll be replacing them every 5000 miles or so due to slop.
From the way it sounds, I would just swap the pig over from that axle onto yours, and run it that way.

On the diff cover, it should be fine if you put a little skidplate on it to protect the bulge for the ring gear.
I have basically the same cover on mine.

'94 Ranger XLT
6" Skyjacker, ARB D44 front, Detroit 8.8" rear, Atlas 4.3, 33s
4x4junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:05 AM   #6
PaleBlue90

Vehicle Year: 88,89,90,92,93
Vehicle Model: ranger reg cab ranger ext cab ranger ext cab stx exploder sport exploder 4dr
I use this vehicle for: DD,Wheeling
PaleBlue90 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to PaleBlue90 Send a message via Yahoo to PaleBlue90

is it wheelable yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanejughead View Post
Damn automotive engineers and their vendetta against stupidity...
PaleBlue90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:01 PM   #7
crawlin91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleBlue90 View Post
is it wheelable yet?
Wheelable oh yeah, I have had the stock ranger out in some pretty serious stuff. I am really impressed with how capable these trucks are. But the ride isnt the best. Wheelable, well it will be when this stuff gets bolted on.
The lift kit $180 from another TRS member-Drangerd even through in the driveshaft and some old stock manual hubs.

Planning on using these hybrid leafs from a ranger/sploder. and some F150 blocks.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:56 PM   #8
JohnnyU
"Outlaw"

Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle Make: Chevrolet
Vehicle Model: Trailblazer SS
JohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond repute

I never said that heims in double shear were bad. It's the jerry-rigged method of accomplishing this that is bad.

One of the many proper methods for achieving double shear-mounted heim joint steering: (And high steer too)

Granted that's not going to work on a TTB Dana 35, but you get the idea.

Earth Resin Offroad
JohnnyU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:38 PM   #9
Ranger44

Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Model: Explorer
I use this vehicle for: Riding mad max style......
Ranger44 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ranger44

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlin91 View Post
That diff cover on the 8.8 is a TrickFlow...which is aluminum I think, should I get something more beefy or even a stock cover?

Ok. So do I swap over the pumpkin or steering knuckles? Im thinking steering knuckles but what do you think? Both axles are in good shape (my d35 on the truck and the new one with 4.56 gears) The one in the photo also has brand new bushings, disks, warn hubs, calipers and pads.
It looks aluminum. I'd swap over a HD cover. Is Jim still selling those on the TRS off-road and Fab?

I don't think it'd be hard to swap either....

Swap the pumpkin and all the new stuff on to your trucks axle or just swap your knuckles onto the new. Seems about the same amount of work either way. But that new axle is nicely painted.

Giddywomp Offroad & Fab
Ranger44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:46 PM   #10
86ford

Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Exploder
I use this vehicle for: creating a need for a larger broken parts bin
86ford is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 86ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlin91 View Post
Wheelable oh yeah, I have had the stock ranger out in some pretty serious stuff. I am really impressed with how capable these trucks are. But the ride isnt the best. Wheelable, well it will be when this stuff gets bolted on.
The lift kit $180 from another TRS member-Drangerd even through in the driveshaft and some old stock manual hubs.

Planning on using these hybrid leafs from a ranger/sploder. and some F150 blocks.

those leaf packs look like they belong on a 3/4 ton! remember that flex is JUST as important as lift. so IF you can LIFT your diffs by doing a little trimming so those 33s fit and you have more travel you are farther ahead than jacking the truck sky high and having little to no travel. just keep in mind, there is a HUGE diffrence between a jacked up truck and a wheeling rig. wheeling rigs need travel, jacked up trucks just have height and suspension travel distance dosent matter. FYI with a 5 inch lift you shouldent have an issue running 34s or 35s with some minor trimming. many of us shoot for the best travel with the lowest center of gravity and the best gearing/tire combo we can get. now keep in mind i could care less about what my b2 looks like so if appearance means something to you dont take my approach to seriously.

86ford is offline   Reply With Quote