• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Slave Cylinder Stuck??

Red89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My clutch hydraulic system has had a slow leak for a while now so every so often i add a little brake fluid to the reservoir and then pump the clutch to get it working normally again. So last night i was adding fluid and when i started pumping the clutch, the pedal froze. Initially i thought it was the actual pedal that was stuck. but i opened the bleeder valve on the slave cylinder and the pressure relieved and the pedal went down to the floor. So from I can tell, something in the slave cylinder is stuck. The clutch is NOT disengaged. I put the transmission in about a year ago and replaced the slave cylinder when i did it. So its not very old. Has anyone heard of the slave cylinder getting stuck? Or is is something else causing the jam?

Thanks,
Mark

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sorry to tell you this but it sounds like you need a new Slave Cylinder at minimum.

I take it the pedal froze at the top and when you released the bleeder screw the pedal came down right?

It could be damamge to your pressure plate actually that froze and it's not allowing the slave cylinder to depress it. Either way you're going to need to pull the transmission to check things out.

And yes, the Slave Cylinder could be bad at a year. I've seen them go bad in a lot less time then that actually, and then I've seen some last 10 years.

Allen

Red89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the quick reply, I was hoping there was something little i wasn't thinking of but yea, i pry need to pull the tranny out. Not the first time i've done this but still not my idea of a good time.

Mark

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well if it makes you feel any better I need to pull mine out too!

I just did a 2.5 swap and chinxed out on replacing the pilot bearing. Now I have a shifting issue. I'll probably be pulling it out later today or tomorrow to fix it. I'm thinking I don't have to remove it all the way though. I may be able to pull it back far enough to access the pilot bearing and while I'm there change out the throwout bearing as well.

Allen

Red89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. I've just been lazy about it is all. I feel like I've been under the hood forever lately since I did the motor swap and had to take care of some issues. Now that she runs good though I just need to get off my lazy A$$ and do it you know?

Good luck to you too!

Allen

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I know how it goes, did a tranny swap, re-used old slave, right off the bat it wouldn't hold a bleed, had to be replaced, a week later the new slave started sticking when releasing the pedal too fast, I've attributed that to the fact the a bellhousing loosened and seperated from the tranny, I said next time this tranny comes out it aint goin back in, so I've been drving it waiting for something to go wrong while preparing for my 4.0/M5OD swap soon.

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
I didn't replace the one in my Ranger when I put a trans in it. The previous owner told me the slave cylinder was less than a year old and the thing looked clean so I figured it wouldn't be any harm to re-use it. Well a few months later I was driving through town in 18 inches of snow, pull up to a stop sign and clutch goes right to the floor! Luckily when that happens and you have larger tires you can still put it in 4-low and start the engine in 1st gear. Four hours after it happened I had the new slave and had it in the truck only because my need for the truck out-weighed my laziness. Get a new slave cylinder... and say a prayer.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I know how it goes, did a tranny swap, re-used old slave, right off the bat it wouldn't hold a bleed, had to be replaced, a week later the new slave started sticking when releasing the pedal too fast, I've attributed that to the fact the a bellhousing loosened and seperated from the tranny, I said next time this tranny comes out it aint goin back in, so I've been drving it waiting for something to go wrong while preparing for my 4.0/M5OD swap soon.
Your still running the Mitsu tranny!?

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Your still running the Mitsu tranny!?
Yep, it doesn't sound too great, I've had more problems since I put this tranny in than I had with the original. The clutch gave me a little trouble yesterday, no doubt caused by the loosened and seperated bellhousing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals