• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cold air intake vs drop in filter??

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
so im wonder what the difference would be, should i go ahead and put the K&N cold air intake into the 4L or put a K&N drop in filter in it? friend told me that he heard that the stock filter is already a cold air intake or soemthing? you just have to do something to it, and put the drop in in?

let me know what you guys/girls think, thanks

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
All you will get from either one is perhaps more NOISE and more wear for sure from the K&N having larger holes in the filter to let larger dirt particles in the engine.
If K&N filters were better NASCAR would use them...they use OEM type filters!!
Big Jim

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
All you will get from either one is perhaps more NOISE and more wear for sure from the K&N having larger holes in the filter to let larger dirt particles in the engine.
If K&N filters were better NASCAR would use them...they use OEM type filters!!
Big Jim
So explain why the Baja racers and just about every other type of racer does use the K&N?

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
so what if anything should i put there to increase possible HP and gas efficency?

thanks

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
a OEM style paper filter. I gained 2 mpg when i dumped my k+n for a paper filter.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Howdy Lifted

so what if anything should i put there to increase possible HP and gas efficency?

thanks
If you have a fuel injected 4.0 The sensors see what amount of air is passing into the engine and place the EXACT correct amount of gasoline into the engine to match THAT amount of air.. So there is no way to fool the computer with a different filter! In normal performance the OEM filter system presents NO restriction to the incoming air.

Now if you add a different intake, exhaust, do some headwork and put a high RPM camshaft in there you MAY need a larger air cleaner. If so your best bet would be simply modifying to accept a LARGER OEM type filter.

The K&N type filters are all hype and very little action. As for the BAJA racers using a K&N.. Now that is funny. K&N pays for advertisement on those cars.. But in such a dirty
environment
a racer would be NUTZ to use a filter with large holes that must be oiled to even look like it was keeping dirt out of an engine.

The Jeepers have caught on to the truth about K&N types and either HAVE or are taking them off their rides.

Big JIm :c-n:

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
So explain why the Baja racers and just about every other type of racer does use the K&N?
Because the OEM paper filters would clog with dust in no time! The K&N's don't plug up with dust.....same amount of dust, guess where the dust is going?

The OEM filters & intakes on vehicles today will flow way more air than the engine will pull. The only thing the K&N's will pass more than the OEM paper filters is dirt and oil! Not only will you not see a performance or MPG increase with the K&N filter and/or intake, but you risk contaminating the MAF sensor, and gumming up the throttle body and IAC valve.

Why do you think K&N puts this statement in their warranty:

K&N will not be responsible for any other expenses incurred by the customer under the terms of this warranty, nor shall it be responsible for any damages either consequential, special, contingent, or otherwise; or expenses or injury arising directly or indirectly from the use of the K&N Air Filter.

You won't see that kind of statement from Motorcraft, Purolator, or Fram with their OEM paper filters!!

And yes, to answer your original question the OEM system is a cold air intake!!!

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just in passing... Baja racers with closed cabs even put oem filters on the air entering their cab! Must be a dirty, dusty place that Baja.
Big Jim

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
As far as the cold air part, yes your truck already has a cold air system from the factory.

As far as the filter part, it depends on whether your system has a restriction of some kind, has been modified, etc., as to whether the K&N will help. Usually, the factory filter is sufficient to supply the engine with whatever it needs.

That being said, the factory system does not do a damn thing for looks, pissing contests, the "gee whiz" factor, noise, the ass dyno, and what have you. A lot of the time this is much more important than any mileage/power gains. :)

Racing engines are different. Depending on the use,most need all the airflow possible, they get torn down and refreshed frequently, and they only need protection from the "big clods" of dirt.shady

Last edited:

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
so bottom line..what do you guys think i should do if any?

by the way, the only mod is a flowmaster cat back exhaust

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Why do you think K&N puts this statement in their warranty:

K&N will not be responsible for any other expenses incurred by the customer under the terms of this warranty, nor shall it be responsible for any damages either consequential, special, contingent, or otherwise; or expenses or injury arising directly or indirectly from the use of the K&N Air Filter.
K&N puts that message on there to cover themselves from installers doing something stupid. You'll find that statement on just about any auto parts, including almost all OEM ones. The K&N works well with a cat back exhaust, greater air in = greater air out. I ran a full K&N cold air intake with a cat back exhaust and got more power, about 2 better mpg, an awesome sound, and didn't have any engine problems with dirt clogging anything up or oil fouing up the MAF sensor. The K&N still traps the dirt but it's design allows for more surface area to filter more air faster.

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have run a K&N for years. I have no brand loyalty and would have no problem telling you if there were issues. If there were any problem, I would have dumped it long ago and told everyone why. That being said, I live in Alaska. We deal with Glacier silt. A finer dust particle you have never seen. It is about the consistancy of flour and even stays suspended in water. I can do a white glove between the filter and the downstream intake tube on my truck and come up clean except for a little oil. All the BS about K&N filters not working is just that, BS. If you oil it properly, it filters just fine. I don't think it frees up any more horsepower but it saves me money being able to clean it insted of pitching it in the trash and replacing it. A cold air intake will give you nothing. A K&N will give you nothing. Use a drop in or a stock element.

289-tiger-

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'll probably take a lot of flak on this response but:
A cold air intake has nothing to do with air filtration, it does just what the name implies, separate the cool dense air from the exterior of the vehicle from the hot atmosphere under the hood. That is why it is in a box. Use whatever filtration you need to keep the gravel from going into the motor.

Good luck

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
K&N puts that message on there to cover themselves from installers doing something stupid. You'll find that statement on just about any auto parts, including almost all OEM ones.
Nope, you won't find it on Motorcraft, Purolator, or Fram OEM paper air filters!

Do a search on "Turbo Dusting" and see what you find.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Yes, but the factory air filter setup IS a cold air setup.

Hell even the original 2.9 setup had the air intake behind the grille.

Yes there's a preheater tube but that tube is CLOSED OFF most of the time.
Eliminating it can get you into legal hot water in terms of emmissions laws.

My brother LOVES K&N filters.
He will NOT use them on his own vehicle.

You see he is a Ford Dealer mechanic.

K&N filters make him more hours and thus more money.

Especially on the turbo diesels

Ever seen a turbo diesel that's bee run behind a K&N?

It's fugly.

AD

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals