Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions > Need Urgent Help Fast!

Need Urgent Help Fast! For posting questions when you're in the middle of working on something and have to have an answer right now.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
brd35124

Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
brd35124 is on a distinguished road
Default 92 ford ranger 2.3l 4 cyl broke timing belt driving

need urgent help for my truck is now at mechanic and they are stating that my bill will be $725-$825 for when timing belt broke it most definetily caused engine damage. in my research I am finding that my truck is a non-interference engine and if timing belt broke while driving that no damage will occur. can anyone help me so I can call this mechanic back. Is my engine non-interference and Will their be other damage?
brd35124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 05-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
RonD

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
RonD is a splendid one to beholdRonD is a splendid one to beholdRonD is a splendid one to beholdRonD is a splendid one to beholdRonD is a splendid one to beholdRonD is a splendid one to beholdRonD is a splendid one to beholdRonD is a splendid one to behold

Yes the Lima 2.0l, 2.3l, and 2.5l are all non-interference engines.

So valves and pistons can not hit each other even when timing belt breaks.

Not sure of any other damage that might occur, maybe broken timing belt cover.

I would see what water pump replacement would cost.

Timing belt replacement would probably be a 3-4 hour job, times that by their shop costs, then + parts
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
brd35124

Vehicle Year: 1992
brd35124 is on a distinguished road

I am not expecting a quote but under normal circumstances what do you think just a timing belt replace x 4 hours average labor may run.
brd35124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
yourdudeness

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: ranger
Vehicle Model: 4x4
yourdudeness is on a distinguished road
Default 2.3 timing belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by brd35124 View Post
I am not expecting a quote but under normal circumstances what do you think just a timing belt replace x 4 hours average labor may run.
i think there being rough on you bill wise, four hours???? not that bad of a job if it just the belt that's two hundred an hour i would check around at that rate yourdudeness
yourdudeness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
adsm08
EOAH

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Elevenses
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

$750 for a timing belt sounds high. Our labor rate is $79/hour. The belt is probably less than $100, so I really can't see the whole job running more than $500 at the outside.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

HELP REPEAL OBAMACARE

HELP REPEAL WASHINGTON DC
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #6
Mark_88
Einstein I'm NOT

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Multi-year Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Space travel
Mark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond repute

Timing belt in Canada is about $50...labour would be two hours tops if they know what they are doing...

But you can do it yourself...there is plenty of information on this site to complete the job and it will probably only take you a couple of hours...even if you have no idea what you are doing.

The first time mine broke I was driving...I spent about $200 on other parts before I realized what was wrong...had it towed home after buying a timing belt and did the job for the first time (EVER) in under two hours.

It's really that easy to do...even with a Fuel Injected model...

Where are you located??? I'm sure there is someone on here close enough to you that could give you a hand for a case of beer and maybe a few bucks...

Rome and my Ranger were not built in a day...
Mark_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
RonD

Vehicle Model: Ranger
RonD is a splendid one to beholdRonD is a splendid one to beholdRonD is a splendid one to beholdRonD is a splendid one to beholdRonD is a splendid one to beholdRonD is a splendid one to beholdRonD is a splendid one to beholdRonD is a splendid one to behold

I think you are forgetting about draining the old coolant and the environmental disposal fee of $100 , and then refilling and purging the system, extra hour there.
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #8
adsm08
EOAH

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Elevenses
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

I guess there is one other thing we haven't considered.

What was the tow bill and is it figured into that estimate? I know when we get non-AAA members towed in we usually have the towing company bill us and then put it on their bill.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

HELP REPEAL OBAMACARE

HELP REPEAL WASHINGTON DC
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
huh?

I use this vehicle for: Everything
huh? is on a distinguished road

timing belt at in hawaii at oreillys' = $15.99
the list price(what the mechanics shop will charge their customer) maybe $25?

perhaps a call to the mechanic asking specifically what kind of damage happened in your non-interference engine. that may enable more suggestions.

a couple years ago my sisters car(camry w/noninterference eng) broke down. my action = tow her car home, buy timing belt kit, start installing kit. the first thing i installed was the idler pulley which was a mistake(shouldn't have openned the kit, yet) because when i tried to turn the crank to tdc it stopped at about 10 deg btdc. tried turning the crank the other way and got stopped at 10 deg atdc. huh? looking down spark plug hole with piston moved a bit lower in the cylinder gave me a nice view of the crescent shape stamped in the top by a valve(or was it a piece of the seat?). there was a couple of other shiny spots on the piston that showed through the otherwise black piston top.

anyways the reason for the long blah blah blah is that the broken belt may be a symptom of something else, rather than the primary breakdown . at least that is what i hypothesized in regards to my sisters car.

if it is just the timing belt and nothing else then i have to throw a vote for mark_88 and say go for it on the diy action. i've changed timing belts on maybe 15 to 20 different vehicles and the one on my sons' 88 2.0l was by far the easiest one. ever. straight engine mount: yay transverse mounted engine: boo
huh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #10
94b2300ranger

Vehicle Make: mazda
Vehicle Model: b2300
94b2300ranger is on a distinguished road

this happened to me a couple of years ago. belt snapped and sheared off the crankshaft position sensor with it a $16 part turned into $140 in parts. DIY save the money get the experience. you have to start somewhere. keep us updated.
94b2300ranger is offline   Reply With Quote