• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A solution to smoked tail lights...

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
I find it more common now that people want to smoke or blackout their tail lights.. To look cool? In most places its illegal, and it risks your safety. So here is the best solution I have. I know its cheap to buy some tint or paint, but if you're willing to spend the extra money, here's something better.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-2011-FORD-RANGER-LED-L-E-D-BLACK-TAIL-LIGHTS-REAR-LAMPS-ASSEMBLY-2007-2008-/110852609587#vi-content
Now this is what I'm getting for my 07, many made for different year models, there black led tail lights. Which gives you the blackout look, much brighter, and are totally legal, D.O.T approved. And a fair price I might add. So, there you go! I hope this is more helpful than lame. :black_eye:
Oh and let me throw in the third brake light..
http://www.carid.com/2007-ford-ranger-taillights/cg-3rd-brake-light-led-1116192.html
And for the bonus point, here's some HID headlights..
http://www.carid.com/2007-ford-ranger-headlights/spyder-halo-projector-headlights-315194.html

Last edited:

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
I find it more common now that people want to smoke or blackout their tail lights.. To look cool? In most places its illegal, and it risks your safety. So here is the best solution I have. I know its cheap to buy some tint or paint, but if you're willing to spend the extra money, here's something better.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-2011-FORD-RANGER-LED-L-E-D-BLACK-TAIL-LIGHTS-REAR-LAMPS-ASSEMBLY-2007-2008-/110852609587#vi-content
Now this is what I'm getting for my 07, many made for different year models, there black led tail lights. Which gives you the blackout look, much brighter, and are totally legal, D.O.T approved. And a fair price I might add. So, there you go! I hope this is more helpful than lame. :black_eye:
Oh and let me throw in the third brake light..
http://www.carid.com/2007-ford-ranger-taillights/cg-3rd-brake-light-led-1116192.html
And for the bonus point, here's some HID headlights..
http://www.carid.com/2007-ford-ranger-headlights/spyder-halo-projector-headlights-315194.html
Don't forget the other gens lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6K-HID-BI-XENON-BLACK-PROJECTOR-HEAD-LIGHTS-SIGNAL-CORNER-1993-1997-FORD-RANGER-/310643557595?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make:Ford|Model:Ranger&hash=item4853cc84db&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4000K-Xenon-HID-Kit-7X6-Euro-Diamond-Cut-Projector-Headlights-Pair-Lamp-New-Set-/121090495852?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make:Ford|Model:Ranger&hash=item1c318e556c&vxp=mtr

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
As long as they don't really black out the taillights for saftey, that is cool. I just don't like seeing the ones that are so dark that even at daytime it is hard to see when the driver is breaking. And at night it is really hard to see the taillights when the lights are on. I see a few of the way too dark blackouts around here every once in awhile.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
As long as they don't really black out the taillights for saftey, that is cool. I just don't like seeing the ones that are so dark that even at daytime it is hard to see when the driver is breaking. And at night it is really hard to see the taillights when the lights are on. I see a few of the way too dark blackouts around here every once in awhile.
I went the other route and got stock replacements and dropped in super bright LEDS :icon_hornsup::icon_cheers:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I went the other route and got stock replacements and dropped in super bright LEDS :icon_hornsup::icon_cheers:
Cool idea, Bro!!! The brighter the better for safety!! So many people are so distracted these days with kids in the cars, texting and making phone calls in traffic (stop and go traffic being the worst). Some of the local Sherriff's vehicles have those led lights all around the backend of the vehicles. You can see them from a long way off just with the running lights on. When the brakes are applied the rear end really lights up...so cool looking!!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Cool idea, Bro!!! The brighter the better for safety!! So many people are so distracted these days with kids in the cars, texting and making phone calls in traffic (stop and go traffic being the worst). Some of the local Sherriff's vehicles have those led lights all around the backend of the vehicles. You can see them from a long way off just with the running lights on. When the brakes are applied the rear end really lights up...so cool looking!!
I hate the bright yellow ones, it is like being slapped in the retinas repeatedly when you get stuck behind one at a stop light in a turning lane.

And IMO the ubber bright headlights are great for stopping base ball bats and very little else. I don't see the point of blinding everybody else for the sake of seeing more yourself. More and more newer cars have them and I hate them. :temper:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
we don't have to get into hating on new headlights here...

the point of this thread is a great one. The smoked lights are dumb. Do it right and be safe.
My idea on headlights, even HIDs, is that if they are aimed properly, it's not a problem. That's even with my photosensitive left eye.......

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
w
My idea on headlights, even HIDs, is that if they are aimed properly, it's not a problem.
Exactly. As long as they are aimed correctly, they wont be blinding anyone.

Many people just buy HID bulbs and put them in their headlight housing without any kind of shield, and the light ends up scattering all over the place.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
we don't have to get into hating on new headlights here...

the point of this thread is a great one. The smoked lights are dumb. Do it right and be safe.
My idea on headlights, even HIDs, is that if they are aimed properly, it's not a problem. That's even with my photosensitive left eye.......
Yes, I agree 100%. I think the headlights look cool and can help on safety issues but most I have seen at night on real dark roads are not aimed properly and they mess my vision when I have to concentrate on the road where no street lights are. What makes it worse is when the AHole has the brights on just to show they think they are cool!! That’s when the wrench tossing begins...whack!! Ooops!! No windshield for you buddy!!!! We can’t do that but….hmmmmm…….

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Exactly. As long as they are aimed correctly, they wont be blinding anyone.
They are getting good enough from the factory they are getting them down the gnats @$$ as far as being right on the line. Accidentally put your lunchbox in the back seat instead of the front floor board and you car squats just enough. It is also really fun on a rough road when they flash at you as the car bucks going over bumps.

When they are aimed properly it isn't so bad, problem is things change as fair as aiming... especially with a truck or even a car with a couple buddies in the back seat. It seems nobody (including car companies) take that into account anymore.

I am not hating on new lights, just stating that there is a limit to brighter is not always better and better designed headlights are less forgiving... unless you like everybody you meet thinking "what a prick"

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Well, these are just what I'm getting for my truck, reasonably priced, and safe. And well I have to say HID's are bright, you shouldn't be looking at them. But really they don't ever bother me, and now cars are being made with them, so you'll be seeing more and more in the future. I am however going to tint my fog lights, maybe yellow or smoke.

Last edited:

rangerboy1986

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 1990
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 2.9
Transmission
Manual
i like to be seen in my truck when im stopping, i hate thinking about someone rear ending me and tearing up my ranger or getting killed since it sits up so high so i got a set of clear euro tail lights :D The stock lights looked like crap anyways..

Last edited:

fyre82

Firefighter
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
9" on the 2000, 6" on the '88
Tire Size
265/75/16, 31x10.50x15
My credo
The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime
Anyone know how well the diamond cut for first gen work?
I've seen yes and no . . .

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone know how well the diamond cut for first gen work?
I've seen yes and no . . .
these?

they are a huge step up from stock, if you use good bulbs. I had silverstar ultra's in them and they were great... I recently went to HID but will be changing out the housings soon probably. For HID they work fine(I just want a true projector housing, to be a little closer to legal), if you get a good HID it has the shield on the bulb so it doesn't blind others.

fyre82

Firefighter
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
9" on the 2000, 6" on the '88
Tire Size
265/75/16, 31x10.50x15
My credo
The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime
Thanks.
I just like a little more and the option of bulbs.

Rich

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals