Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions (Not for tech help - Use Help Forums further down) > 1983-2011 Ford Ranger Mini Trucks (Street)

1983-2011 Ford Ranger Mini Trucks (Street) Show of your trucks, or post your build threads. This is NOT a help forum. Post your questions in the Help Forums further down

Old 07-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
Thed
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Being awesome... GOSH!
Thed has a spectacular aura aboutThed has a spectacular aura aboutThed has a spectacular aura about
Default Oh, LOOK! Not ANOTHER V8 build thread!!!

Yep that's right. For the past year the only thing that I wanted to do was to get some parts for a turbo 2.3 setup. Sadly, that setup has no future with me anymore (got some turbo parts for sale, PM for details).

So this thread begins!!! Today, I took a small, yet extremely important step forward in a 302 swap. I went out to the salvage yard and picked up a computer from a V8 1996 Exploder which was involved in an accident. On Tuesday I plan to pick up a '97 Explorer V8 for $380. It runs, but I don't care because I'm going to do this right the first time and rebuild (and stroke ) the engine.

My wish list is as follows:

AFR 185cc heads $1560 +90 HP http://www.airflowresearch.com/produ...roducts_id=314

6250-E303 Cam (great for the street) +??HP $280 http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=1329

Over-sized chain http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...artKeyField=20

Gaskets ~$170

Flywheel $45 http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,5348

I don't know what fuel injectors I need, so I'm going to put aside about $400 for them.

Any input on performance parts would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Also, I'm starting college this fall which means I'm poor... so expect this build to go SLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWLLLLLLYYYYY. Sorry, but it's better than no build thread.

Also, call me Thed, that's how I'm known at Motor Trend and Car Fanatics Forums, where I have similar, already-existing, build threads.

BUILD THREAD
PROJECT AMERICAN CRUISER

Last edited by Thed; 10-26-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Thed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Not shown to 'Premium Members')
Old 07-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
Thed
Premium Member

Thed has a spectacular aura aboutThed has a spectacular aura aboutThed has a spectacular aura about

Yeah buddy.

BUILD THREAD
PROJECT AMERICAN CRUISER
Old 07-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
doorgunner
Lab Rat for V.A. hospital

Vehicle Year: 1934/1989
I use this vehicle for: FUN on a daily basis!
My credo: JESUS (no-not HeySoos) Lives!
doorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond repute

They're taking over the universe!!!

(but why the monster mods...it'll still scream for half that price/get done faster/ & make it easier on collAge this year.....think about it!!!!)

Keep the pics coming!!!!!!

**All the people who's freedom of speech I fought to defend are now telling me to shut up**
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
GOODOLEBOY84

Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGER 4X4
GOODOLEBOY84 is on a distinguished road

i would put the motor in and run it like that before you start stroking it and
other mods, you will already have enough bugs to work out as it is...and also
are you gonna run the explorer ecm? i would do away with the explorer ecm and get a mustang style ecm.... lot more support for the mustangs than the explorer ecms as far as tunning goes... just sayin not bashing
GOODOLEBOY84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
JoshT
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Back-up DD, Hunting, ETC.
JoshT is just really niceJoshT is just really niceJoshT is just really niceJoshT is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to JoshT Send a message via Yahoo to JoshT

FYI you are going to have one big problem with that stroker kit. Explorer (and many other later production) 5.0Ls are set up for a 50 oz balance. Most of those stroker kits are set up for 28 oz balance. With using the Explorer electronics which it appears you are planning to do you will have to retain the its harmonic balancer for the crank trigger. The Explorer harmonic balancer and the 28 oz balanced internals won't play too well together.

I'm in the very slow process of putting a 98 explorer V8 into an '86 Ranger. For now I'm leaving it all stock but I want to build a 331 for it down the road, so I'm interested in seeing how you overcome the balance problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOODOLEBOY84 View Post
i would put the motor in and run it like that before you start stroking it and
other mods, you will already have enough bugs to work out as it is...and also
are you gonna run the explorer ecm? i would do away with the explorer ecm and get a mustang style ecm.... lot more support for the mustangs than the explorer ecms as far as tunning goes... just sayin not bashing
+1 on both counts. My donor is a 180K rollover victim, and I considered rebuilding the motor before getting started. Decided against it because I know it runs and everything works as is. Decided to do the swap, work the bugs out, then build another motor to drop in. Doing it that way I only have one set of problems to chase at a time. I would have gone with the Mustang electronics in a heart beat if I hadn't found a complete working Explorer to use as my donor. The original plan was to get a 5.0L out of an Explorer (for the tight FEAD) and use mustang electronics or MSII, but when I found the donor for $500 decided the Explorer electronics was right for me. The mustang system is a lot easier to install as a stand alone from what I saw when I considered going that route. As for tuning, I disagree. There are a lot more aftermarket pieces out there for the Mustang system, but the Explorer EEC is just as tunable as that of the mustang. It's just a matter of finding someone with the knowledge to do it, where as almost anyone can tune a Mustang.
1999 Ranger 4wd - Back-up DD/Hunting truck
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre - For Sale (eventually)
2010 Kia Forte Koup SX - DD

Last edited by JoshT; 07-05-2012 at 02:31 PM.
JoshT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
Thed
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshT View Post
FYI you are going to have one big problem with that stroker kit. Explorer (and many other later production) 5.0Ls are set up for a 50 oz balance. Most of those stroker kits are set up for 28 oz balance. With using the Explorer electronics which it appears you are planning to do you will have to retain the its harmonic balancer for the crank trigger. The Explorer harmonic balancer and the 28 oz balanced internals won't play too well together.

I would have gone with the Mustang electronics in a heart beat if I hadn't found a complete working Explorer to use as my donor. The original plan was to get a 5.0L out of an Explorer (for the tight FEAD) and use mustang electronics or MSII, but when I found the donor for $500 decided the Explorer electronics was right for me. The mustang system is a lot easier to install as a stand alone from what I saw when I considered going that route. As for tuning, I disagree. There are a lot more aftermarket pieces out there for the Mustang system, but the Explorer EEC is just as tunable as that of the mustang. It's just a matter of finding someone with the knowledge to do it, where as almost anyone can tune a Mustang.
The stroker kit I linked to had the option to pick a 28 or 50 ounce balancer, or at least the next kit up did. I didn't know which one to use so thanks for clearing that part up with me.

And I was told that NC laws say that in order for an OBDII vehicle to be street legal after a swap, it needs to retain an OBDII computer from the same model year or newer vehicle. Unless the Modular computer out of a Mustang works for the 302 (which I doubt it does) I have to use the Explorer computer. But like you said, an Exploder computer is just as tunable, you just need to go to the right place to tune it.

BUILD THREAD
PROJECT AMERICAN CRUISER
Old 07-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #7
Thed
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
They're taking over the universe!!!

(but why the monster mods...it'll still scream for half that price/get done faster/ & make it easier on collAge this year.....think about it!!!!)

Keep the pics coming!!!!!!
My goal is 350 HP, and I have to keep the OBDII computer and all that jazz. If you know how to get me there without a stroker kit I am all ears. This is still in the planning stage as of right now and like I said, this is going to be a sloooooooowwwwwww build. Like it will be a couple years until I will be able to afford some of these mods. This isn't my daddy paying for these, I'm busting my ass for $7.50 an hour at Bojangles FULL TIME so I can save all the money I can for college and this build.

Also, this is a question for all. I want to know how big the injectors I need have to be. Also, I have not really gotten a thurough look at my 302, I want to know if there is an EGR system and if I got some AA or custom long tube headers if there will be a problem with the pesky EGR system.

BUILD THREAD
PROJECT AMERICAN CRUISER
Old 07-07-2012, 01:23 AM   #8
JoshT
Premium Member

JoshT is just really niceJoshT is just really niceJoshT is just really niceJoshT is just really nice

Didn't know about the NC laws, here in GA you can get away with almost anything (unfortunatley). Also didn't remember that 96 was OBD-II, they made that change over in 95 didn't they.

I didn't know anyone was selling a 50oz balanced kit, last I checked they were only available for the 28 oz. I'll be bookmarking that site for future use. Yes, 50oz is what you need for the Explorer unless you can manage to find a 28 oz harmonic balancer with crank trigger that will work with its system. As far as I know a 302 won't run off a 4.6L computer, even if it could I'd rather make the Explorer work that try to fight with making it work.

I think what doorgunner is referring to is all of those Ford Racing parts. Pretty sure if you shop around just as good can be had for cheaper.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:37 AM   #9
Thed
Premium Member

http://www.coasthigh.com/Ford-331-Fl...66-ps-f331.htm

This is actually the kit with the optional 50 Ounce balancer. It has stronger parts so I guess the extra $300 is justified.

BUILD THREAD
PROJECT AMERICAN CRUISER
Old 07-15-2012, 01:01 AM   #10
JoshT
Premium Member

I didn't think about it previously but you will also need to make sure the flywheel you get is balanced for 50oz. I know that they are available but you might have to contact Rock Auto to find out which ones are balanced for that.

You say you are looking for about 350hp. Is that engine hp or rwhp? If rwhp you will need a little more at the engine, a little under 400hp with a manual and a little under 450hp with a slush box. Given these numbers I think you can save almost 500 bucks by going with the street fighter kit. It's rated for about 600hp vs the 800hp on the Pro Street kit. For NA on a 331 you don't really have a need for a forged crank or super heavy duty rods (those are still stronger than stock). If you are want to make more than about 500hp at the block then you need to be looking for a stouter block (4 bolt main or aftermarket) since that is about the limit for a stock block.

Last edited by JoshT; 07-15-2012 at 01:54 AM.