• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'84 ranger 2.8L 4x4 build thread

Ty84

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Automatic
iv been putting this off for wayyy to long now, iv been builing my ranger for just under a year now so iv got a lot of pictures and information to throw down haha

so im 16 and this is my first truck, its an '84 single cab long bed v6 with an auto tranny and this is it on day one on the trailer at the tow yard where i got it for free, it had a 3 inch body lift and a 3 inch suspension lift on 35 inch tires

i pulled out EVERYTHING, engine, tranny, tcase, axles and interior. then i got the engine machined at a shop in town and a automatic tranny guy came to our shop to help me rebuild that. then i cleaned up the axles and that kinda stuff...

this is the engine right after i put it all back together and sprayed on some paint

then about two hours after i got it all together and running clean.... i snapped an axleshaft in that little d28! so it sat on the high lift for a while while i searched for a fix to that problem

i ended up finding a donor jeep cherokee for 400 bucks, that i actually parted out and made a profit on later, that i took the d30 and d35 combo out of and installed them in the ranger, i also sanded the paint on the truck because i was planning on painting it soon but the d30 swap took precedence, so thats why its suddenly red camo looking haha

i also got a new set of 33 inch procomp Xtreme M/Ts for it

so after i got all of that running clean and working the way i want (except for my front coil springs are too stiff) i took it out to blue canyon for a little two day 4x4 run with my friend

see i barely get flex out of those front coils

this was much steeper than it looks, it sucks that cameras make every steep hill look flat haha

that was all from my blue canyon trip, and this is it just sitting at my house

as you can see im doing some fender modification at the moment, actually as of now the rear fenders are cut out like the front drivers side is, the front passenger is almost done in that picture, i made it 3 inches taller and 3 inches longer to fit the tires because i took the body lift off:icon_welder:

so thats all of it that i can remember now! ill keep updating as the project moves along, and if anyone has questions, suggestions, observations or anything like that the please post em!

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
free!?! how did you get it for free? im jealous! nice looking truck ya got there.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Its great to see another Gen 1 SAS plus its only a year newer then mine too.

So what are the full specs on everything plus any other future plans?

Ty84

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Automatic
full specs? not sure what ya mean :icon_confused: but future plans are 8.8in rear end with 4:10s and limited slip, high pinion d30 with 4:10s (its low pinion at the moment), maybe 2 more inches of lift, 4.0L conversion, custom bed, rock sliders, bumpers, and possibly if i ever get around to it id like to boatside it:icon_welder: also if i ever come across a 3.0L powerstroke diesel id definitatly take the time to do that but those are very rare.... and i got it for free because i know a guy who runs a tow yard, i dont know if you know how tow yards work but if a car sits there for a month and the owner doesnt come to get it the owner of the tow yard can do what he wants with it so he gave it to me

Last edited:

Ty84

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Automatic
thanks! yeah i had to go through EVERYTHING in the truck... thats what free gets me i guess haha

eightysevenranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
how hard was it for the SAS? ive been wanting to do that to mine, but mines a 2wd. i found a 4wd extended cab for 600 just needs a new motor. thought about it, but short on cash ATM

Ty84

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Automatic
it was very easy as long as you have access to a torch, welder, metal break ect... on mine the coil mounts lined up perfectly, all i had to do was make a bracket on each side to hold the trailing arms with the right dementions and i had to combine the jeep steering arm with a ford end to fit into the steering box, ill post some pictures of that in a little bit

Ty84

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Automatic
ok so heres a couple pictures of the steering arm i mated together

and heres a bunch of pics of the trailing arm brackets i made, you can see i sacrificed some clearance to keep the arms level, but im glad i did it cause it drives very smooth with it like that

this is just a better picture of the whole axle, its on a highlift so its fully extended with the sway bar on, if i disconnect that i get quite a bit more travel

hope that helps you!

Ty84

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Automatic
ok so heres some stuff i forgot to add in the beginning

first heres a pic of these stainless steel bed guards that i made (it was a bitch to make believe it or not...)

i also am running a 1354 transfer case because i got it for 30 bucks and it eliminated the slip yoke, it was actually very easy to install and it fixed a drive shaft angle problem that i had

and finally here are some pictures of when i was welding up my passenger side fender, i made it 3 inches taller and 3 inches longer so now my 33s fit in the wells and i dont have to lift my truck super high and look like a hick haha

Ty84

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Automatic
so i finally got my warn 5k winch that was on it when i got it working right, now im mounting it today

Ty84

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Automatic
this is the winch that came on it when i got the truck, i put it back on a few days ago

and today i finished grinding all the welds on my passenger fender, now its time for a little bondo and primer tomorrow!

RICO9

07/2014 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Title says 84.
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Size
2.8L w/ Chevy TBI.
Transmission
Manual
I've had the same fender idea kicking around in my head for years. Now that I see it in real life, I think I'm gonna do it.... some day! Keep up the good work! :icon_thumby:

Ty84

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Automatic
haha thanks! yeah i wanted to keep that original look while still having clearance and so far its turning out good, ill have more pics tomorrow if i get the bondo and primer done.... and im planning on TIG welding the drivers side fender instead of MIG so im excited to see how that turns out!:icon_welder:

Ty84

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Automatic
so i didnt get the primer on today but the bondo is done!

and also i couldnt resist... heres my REAL baby, its a 1931 ford model-A coupe:D ive been working on it since i was like 8 years old, the ranger has sorta put it off for a while tho

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals