• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 L into 1971 VW single cab

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey, my name is Mike. I've been getting information from the guys over in the 4-banger forum.
I'm new to these engines as I've been into VW's for the last 10 years. I'm switching to the 2.3 for more HP and less problems.
You would not believe the after-market crap that's out there for V'dubs!
I do mean crap.

So, here goes with a new (for me) trial ballon!
The plan is to get as much prep work done before I "put the truck down". I want to be able to go camping in the fall.
A lot of what I'm doing has been done before. I'm just taking whatever ideas I can get and trying to make them work for my application.

I started out with a 2.0 out of a Ranger- that's how I got here. I wound up with a 2.3 from a '87 Mustang turbo engine sans the turbo. I had the block bored .030 over and new pistons and any necessary machine work is already done and I assembled the block. We got the head on this weekend- it is freshly built, too. I have a OMC intake with a summit Racing adapter and a Holley 350 to help it breath. I also have an Esslinger adapter kit for my late model bus transmission. Shorty header.

Many things have to be "rigged" and any suggestions will be appreciated.
I still need -
Water temp gauge
Accelerator cable and linkage
Radiator system figured out
"Sparkage" figured out (I have an MSD box)
Fab up the motor mounts.
Exhaust

So I'll bring you up to speed with some pics and commentary. Pleas chime in with any suggestions.
One other thing, my friend that's helping me has already done this to his '73 VW with a 2.8 Chevy. He used to race Pinto's on the dirt track so I'm confident in his help.
Here's what I have for the radiator- Mercedes V-8 radiator and Mercedes fans (junk yard, perfect condition, $64). The frame (box) made out of two old VW louvered AC covers.

The adapter-

Is this a shorty header?

Here's how it looked as of yesterday

This little camper is why I need more HP. I like to go to the mountains and use it as a base camp (or my escape pod). It is another story - 1977 Trillium w/ sink, stove fridge, AC. I'm in the process of installing a solar system to run all electrics except the AC (need shore power or small genny for that)

The truck photographs well. Up close is another story. It was on it's way to the junk pile when I got it.
I like this site and the folks in here have been real helpful. I hope you follow my build with critiques and an occasional atta-boy :yahoo:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
atta-boy!!!
I like where your going and how you're getting there.
Good luck,

Richard

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
It sounds like you've got most of the hard stuff figured out already. The little stuff you'll have to sort out as you go along. Don't forget the pictures, everyone loves pictures, they also help when looking for suggestions to specific issues. good luck.

John Smith

Reaction score
Good jobb

We'll be lookin' 4 progress. The pics are great...

(note:) are you going to use that oil cooler? I see the adapter is still there..

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
John- yeah, I'm using it but I have another if you want it. There's a little rust on one of the pipes. You could cut/weld and fix it. (No adapter though)
PM me if you want it.

John Smith

Reaction score
Actually I have one..

John- yeah, I'm using it but I have another if you want it. There's a little rust on one of the pipes. You could cut/weld and fix it. (No adapter though)
PM me if you want it.
I think it's more of an oil warmer/ccooler for turbo purposes since the water circulates thru it. But I have one already...thanks

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I figure it can't hurt to have every type cooling I can. That's the one problem with putting the radiator under the truck. If you don't make it so there's a positive air flow with no circulating air in the box (and you live in the south), you run a chance of overheating.
I've been on http://www.aussieveedubbers.com/Site/Welcome.html. It's where I got most of my information on building the box. I figure if they work for the Aussies, they'll be good for a Louisiana boy - lol!

Today, I cleaned up my pulleys. I'm using the ones off the Ranger motor.. I'll have a serpentine belt instead of a V-belt. I also soaked my header bolts yesterday in phosphoric acid and ran them through my wire wheel. They look great!

Oh yeah, is my headr what you call a "shorty"?

John Smith

Reaction score
yep...

Oh yeah, is my headr what you call a "shorty"?
Looks like one to me...Keep in mind you may have to tap and plug the "injected air" holes in the head cuz that header don't have provision for covering them i don't think..at least something to check..

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks on that one ,too! I'll have to look at it closely. I thought the injection stuff was only on the intake.
I'll take a look at what's what when I get home.

John Smith

Reaction score
the original

Thanks on that one ,too! I'll have to look at it closely. I thought the injection stuff was only on the intake.
I'll take a look at what's what when I get home.
E3/E6 manifold has a flange on the bottom that covers the holes. They never used am A.I.R. pump in a turbo application IIRC, but the head I'm pretty sure has the holes.

You COULD get a cheap racing header flange to use u'neath your shorty perhaps, and use longer bolts..the gaskets are made for the holes.

(example)..http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2448&pictureid=9649

This is something I'll have to do when i mount my "shorty" header as well.

Last edited:

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
My head doesn't have any holes there. I'll take some pics tomorrow

John Smith

Reaction score
good for you..

My head doesn't have any holes there. I'll take some pics tomorrow
sounds like that may have been an actuall original turbo head. or at least a late production ..i would make note of the casting number for future reference..some of them had special valve seats, and valves..

Last edited:

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Or, it never was a turbo head. After all, I got the engine of Craigslist. The guy that had it bought it from someone else. The guy that had it didn't know as much as I did (at that time) about these motors.
I got a lot of other stuff from him in a package deal. I got some stainless steel valves that are larger then the ones in my head. I wonder about them... maybe I have the makings of a GREAT head one day!

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
5/3/12-

I won the Friday night fight (with the VW)
I finally decided to get this ball rolling. I think I've done all the prep work I can. Now, we have to fit and cut and weld and drive! Here's a couple of pics-
Question first- is this where the engine hoist thingy goes? It is on the intake and that doesn't seem right but it's the only place it fits.

Here's my new Chevy 76A 1-wire alternator. I'll be running a serpentine belt.

Here's the new power plant urging the old VW engine to get the heck out his spot!

A couple of hours later-

My friend got sick so I started by myself. I'll put the 2.3 and the "new" transmission together this weekend and trial fit it to see where I have to cut the bed for an engine "hood". It looks like the engine will fit in the bay without any mods to the body (except the bed). We'll see...
More later!

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i like it, i like it!! keep us up to date, this is one thread i will have to follow

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals