Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'RICO9'
July 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Cole' Dave'
July 2014 MTOTM

Old 04-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
ENixB2

Vehicle Year: 1986
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Bronco II
ENixB2 is on a distinguished road
Default Bronco Fuel

I have an 86 Bronco II V6 fuel injected and I was wanting to replace the fuel lines but then I heard that fuel injected cars need to have high pressure fuel lines. Ive never heard of high pressure fuel lines so Im not sure if the guy was making stuff up or if I really need high pressure lines and how much it is and where I can get the stuff.

Thanks Erik
ENixB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 04-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
martin

Vehicle Year: 1984 1991
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: b2 explorer
martin is just really nicemartin is just really nicemartin is just really nicemartin is just really nice

The regular stuff will work just fine, it's only 65 pounds as an absolute maximum. you get higher pressures in your household plumbing.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
adsm08
EOAH

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Elevenses
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
The regular stuff will work just fine, it's only 65 pounds as an absolute maximum.
Nix that. You do need FI specific line. You can't use the stuff that you would use on a carbed system. Carbed fuel pressures are about 5 to 15 PSI AFTER the pump. FI systems can produce up to 75 PSI through the whole system.

You don't have to have all hard lines, but I would recommend it if you can find it, but if you go to the parts store there IS a difference between regular fuel lines and injection rated lines. In PA if I see a fuel line that is printed with "Not for FI" on it on an injection system I can fail it for saftey inspection.

Quote:
you get higher pressures in your household plumbing.
The stuff running through your household pipes isn't flamable enough to be used as an automotive fuel.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

HELP REPEAL OBAMACARE

HELP REPEAL WASHINGTON DC

Last edited by adsm08; 04-05-2012 at 11:51 AM.
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #4
Earl43P
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: a driveway ornament, light hauling
Earl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really nice

http://www.oldfuelinjection.com/?p=95
Old 04-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
Shran

Shran will become famous soon enoughShran will become famous soon enough

You are OK with low pressure line from the tank to your high pressure pump. From there, you need and should have high pressure line to the fuel rail. The return doesn't matter, and can be either because it just dumps back into the tank and is not pressurized at all.

I would not run low pressure hose after the pump on the frame for safety reasons, ie IF it ruptures you will have a LOT of fuel spraying everywhere, like on your exhaust, engine, and possibly YOU when you get out of a burning truck.
1985 F250 4x4 460/T19

Shran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #6
sjr53

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Bronco II
sjr53 is on a distinguished road

The fuel lines are nylon, so rust is not an issue. I see no reason to replace the lines. I just replaced the tank fuel pump and had damaged connectors from rust on the metal lines coming out of the tank. Dorman makes replacement ends, usually with 18" of attached nylon fuel line and a coupler that requires warming up the nylon to manage to make the splice. Molding the sharp curves in the line is a problem I need to resolve. The pressure line is 3/8" and the return line is 5/16" using hairpin connectors except at the fuel rail where spring locking connectors are used. I couldn't find a fuel filter anywhere on my '86 but have replaced the filter on my '88. My accumulator doesn't want to open up and I'm not going to force it open to look for a filter in there.
sjr53 is offline   Reply With Quote