Home Ford Ranger Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum  

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions (Not for tech help - Use Help Forums further down) > General Discussions

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. If you're in need of help, post it below in the appropriate topic forum.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:25 AM   #1
mercuryseven

Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger V6
mercuryseven is on a distinguished road
Default The Camshaft Position Synchronizer

A nasty little device. I was throwing a P0340 (Camshaft Position Sensor Fault) and the truck was barely drivable, this is a 2002 Ranger Edge with a 3.0. I parked it and ordered up a Motorcraft synchro, got home at eight and finished about nine.

For those unaware, this is notorious for failing in the Ranger (Post '95) and the best case scenario when it does is cause performance issues, the worst case is it destroys your engine. The shaft running down this is what drives your oil pump and it's being handled by a gear spot welded to it. In my case, the shaft had about 3/4" of play and the gear was severely worn to an almost razor like edge because of the float in the main shaft. This is what does it. As the bushings wear, the softer metal gear is allowed to float against the harder cam, wearing the rectangular gear teeth into more of a sharpened oval shape. This dumps a bunch of metal in your engine and starts a snowball effect. Had this gear failed, the engine would have likely quit but not before it was starved of oil and seized.

If you're over 70K in your truck, change it, it takes longer to clean up than the project does. I got a Motorcraft CPS for $165 but they will give me $50 for the core. You can pick up a reman CPS for about $100 out the door or $50 with a core. There are two types, "With Step Up" and "Without Step Up". This refers to the connector type. All EDGE 3.0's are "Without...". You can either pull your sensor before picking up a new one or just buy the "Without"...they work on everything.

Pull the negative.

The CPS is at the rear of the block, on top.

Two 7/16 bolts hold the sensor to the the synchro, remove these before disconnecting the harness. Pull the sensor off and remove harness - it's a tab release.

Mark the position of the shaft vane onto the manifold with a grease pencil or marker. The alignment tool and the TDC method is pointless, these teeth take a big bite, you're either off terribly or right on. Mark the body position.

The hold down bolt is behind and slightly to the passengers side of the shaft centerline. It's a 1/2" socket on a slight angle back.

Remove old one. Curse it and point while saying things like, "Look how bad this is". Then drop nothing in that hole.

Cover the new one in oil, from o-ring down. Lucas additive.

Drop in CPS. It will self align with oil pump shaft. It's a spiral type gear and the pitch dictates a one tooth clockwise jump. Aim for one back - for six o'clock shoot for five.

Your shaft vane now in place, align CPS body to mark.

Once it's aligned and fully seated against the block, insert the 1/2" hold down bolts.

Connector sensor to wiring harness and reseat onto CPS, tighten two 7/16" bolts.

Reconnect negative.

When you start it, just let it idle. Don't do anything punchy until that CPS can saturate itself with oil. Ford dealer man says to let it go for about a minute like that while the computer makes tiny adjustments to the now consistent firing timing.

Result was a cleared P0340 code and a completely different engine.

The bonus to all of this is that in the process of tracking down this problem, I replaced the ICV, the MAF sensor, the plugs, plug wires, coil, fuel filter, throttle body, cleaned air box...and now, finally, I own a code reader.

Happy Wrenching.
mercuryseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

SPRING ONLINE MAGAZINE!

Check out the latest articles

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:44 AM   #2
Sasquatch_Ryda
Coast Mountain Crawlers

Vehicle Year: 1991/2002/2008
Vehicle Model: Ranger/SportTrac/SuperDuty
I use this vehicle for: Play toy/Daily Driver/Tow Rig
Sasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Sasquatch_Ryda

Glad you got it figured. Not complicated at all to change and like I said, the tool is a waste of time.
1967 Mustang Coupe - 289, c4, pretty much stock
Sasquatch_Ryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
alwaysFlOoReD
I want a belly rub...

Vehicle Year: '91, '94, '77
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger, ranger, f-250
I use this vehicle for: 4x4 race, 4x4, towing
alwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud of

Good write up.
Mods, shouldn't this be in the tech submission forum?

Richard
Old 03-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
shane96ranger

Vehicle Year: 1997 / 1989
Vehicle Model: F150 XLT / Mustang GT
I use this vehicle for: Everything / The war on imports
shane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch_Ryda View Post
Glad you got it figured. Not complicated at all to change and like I said, the tool is a waste of time.
I agree. You shouldn't be working on cars if you can't stab that thing without the tool. I got the KD Tools tool from my buddies MAC guy for about 35 dollars. I found that it made it even more difficult to install, so I just put it aside. It makes a cute paper weight though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammert609@yahoo.com View Post
I am being told by family an friends my truck is a piece of shit
shane96ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
PRanger

Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: XLT Ranger 4x4
PRanger is on a distinguished road

Somewhat off topic. But I need to know if this part that I just got in the mail today is the right CPS.

Motorcraft Synchronizer
Part # DA-2089

Also printed on it:

F8DZ-12A362-AA

I have a 1998 3.0L 4x4 Auto

If anybody could confirm that this is the correct one for my engine that would be great. If it isn't. Well I am SOL because its not returnable.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
shane96ranger

Vehicle Year: 1997 / 1989
Vehicle Model: F150 XLT / Mustang GT
I use this vehicle for: Everything / The war on imports
shane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRanger View Post
Somewhat off topic. But I need to know if this part that I just got in the mail today is the right CPS.

Motorcraft Synchronizer
Part # DA-2089

Also printed on it:

F8DZ-12A362-AA

I have a 1998 3.0L 4x4 Auto

If anybody could confirm that this is the correct one for my engine that would be great. If it isn't. Well I am SOL because its not returnable.
From Rock Auto: MOTORCRAFT Part # DA2089 {#F8DZ12A362AA} ENGINE CAMSHAFT SYNCHRONIZER.

It looks same same to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammert609@yahoo.com View Post
I am being told by family an friends my truck is a piece of shit
shane96ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #7
PRanger

Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: XLT Ranger 4x4
PRanger is on a distinguished road

Thanks. I used rock auto to double check before I ordered it from Ebay. I just wanted to double check because he mentioned Without Step Up and With Step Up. Didn't understand what that was lol
Old 12-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
Kowboy

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Everything it should be doing!
Kowboy will become famous soon enoughKowboy will become famous soon enough

I am a first time poster here. I did the CPS and sensor replacement today and am very pleased w/ the results. My wife said I was at it for 45 minutes. I always go the extra distance for cleanliness on my projects. Motorcraft parts were used and cost $208.00 tax inc. My biggest surprise was the jump in power over the old squeaky unit. The 2000 XLT 3.0 sings now. The Ranger has 155'000 on the clock and in in great shape. Thanks to this site and of course YOUTUBE. Kowboy
Kowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
Tuner710
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: anything I need to do
Tuner710 is a jewel in the roughTuner710 is a jewel in the roughTuner710 is a jewel in the roughTuner710 is a jewel in the rough

Great writeup.
Thanks for the step by step, and all other posters, thanks for the input. It would make a good stickie for future reference.